Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

BATTLETECH Released

Publisher Paradox Interactive and developer Harebrained Schemes now offer BATTLETECH for Windows and macOS, saying the Linux edition will follow. They note that this first turn-based tactical BATTLETECH/MechWarrior PC game in more than two decades, thanks to the support of over 55,000 Kickstarter backers. This is available through many digital distributors, including Paradox Interactive, Steam, and GOG.com, with GOG.com offering a free copy of Shadowrun Returns to anyone who purchases this through May 8th. Here's the release trailer, and here's a description of the game:

From original BATTLETECH/MechWarrior creator Jordan Weisman and the developers of the award-winning Shadowrun Returns series comes the next-generation of turn-based tactical 'Mech combat.

The year is 3025 and the galaxy is trapped in a cycle of perpetual war, fought by noble houses with enormous, mechanized combat vehicles called BattleMechs. Take command of your own mercenary outfit of 'Mechs and the MechWarriors that pilot them, struggling to stay afloat as you find yourself drawn into a brutal interstellar civil war. Upgrade your starfaring base of operations, negotiate mercenary contracts with feudal lords, repair and maintain your stable of aging BattleMechs, and execute devastating combat tactics to defeat your enemies on the battlefield.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 27, 2018, 16:04 MattyC

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 08:44:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 01:47:
Flatline wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 16:18:
Edit: So considering that they're going through most of Jordan Weisman's old IP from the FASA days, is anyone else secretly hoping against hope they do Crimson Skies at some point?

That would be fantastic.

Im just glad someone did Battletech. Finally. Truly awesme game, Im 10 hours in and I feel like I've just scratched the surface.

I thought the super old Westwood one was pretty solid for its time, but yeah I am a big fan so far.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 27, 2018, 14:15 jdreyer

Peter M. Smith wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 09:49:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 14:06:
How did you report that? "Boss, can't come to work today. I have a serious case of Battletechitis."

Technically, I didn't. There was a conference this week, my team lead went, along with my manager, my director, and two of my teammates. I told the other guy who stayed back that I'd probably work from home the next day. He didn't want details, I didn't give them. GI issues can be like that.

Yeah, GI issues stink. I occasionally work from home when I have them.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

39. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 27, 2018, 12:37 Nimh

Peter M. Smith wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 09:49:
How did you report that? "Boss, can't come to work today. I have a serious case of Battletechitis."

Technically, I didn't. There was a conference this week, my team lead went, along with my manager, my director, and two of my teammates. I told the other guy who stayed back that I'd probably work from home the next day. He didn't want details, I didn't give them. GI issues can be like that.

Gaming Impulse issues?

38. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 27, 2018, 10:49 Tipsy McStagger

Peter M. Smith wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 10:04:
Im just glad someone did Battletech. Finally. Truly awesme game, Im 10 hours in and I feel like I've just scratched the surface.

I GG'ed my first campaign last night after taking a work from home day (don't look at me like that, it was legit). Lost two pilots to head caps in back-to-back drops. Have to replace an entire lance worth of MechJocks is one thing, having to replace their experience is another.

Smartest thing to do is get a couple back ups and rotate them in every match to keep your experience up.

37. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 27, 2018, 09:49 Peter M. Smith

36. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 26, 2018, 14:06 jdreyer

Peter M. Smith wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 10:04:

I GG'ed my first campaign last night after taking a work from home day (don't look at me like that, it was legit).

35. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 26, 2018, 10:04 Peter M. Smith

I GG'ed my first campaign last night after taking a work from home day (don't look at me like that, it was legit). Lost two pilots to head caps in back-to-back drops. Have to replace an entire lance worth of MechJocks is one thing, having to replace their experience is another.

34. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 26, 2018, 08:44 VaranDragon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 01:47:
Edit: So considering that they're going through most of Jordan Weisman's old IP from the FASA days, is anyone else secretly hoping against hope they do Crimson Skies at some point?

That would be fantastic.

33. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 26, 2018, 01:47 jdreyer

That would be fantastic.

32. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 19:54 Flatline

Hump wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 17:45:
Wasn't this supposed to come out on mobile platforms as well?

Not that I'm aware of. It may eventually. Shadowrun did.

31. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 18:10 Beamer

Peter M. Smith wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 17:27:

It would be nice, but I'm not sure it would happen. Microsoft owns the IP outright, as opposed to the split ownership of BattleTech. And they haven't done much of anything with CS in a long while.

I think it was licensed back to Weisman. MS still owns it, but Weisman has a license to create games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 17:45 Hump

Wasn't this supposed to come out on mobile platforms as well?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

29. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 17:27 Peter M. Smith

It would be nice, but I'm not sure it would happen. Microsoft owns the IP outright, as opposed to the split ownership of BattleTech. And they haven't done much of anything with CS in a long while.

28. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 17:26 CJ_Parker

This might be of particular interest for those with technical issues: nVidia has released a GameReadeh driver numero 397.31 for BattleTech (and also Frostpunk).  

27. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 16:18 Flatline

I'm having a blast too. I got my money's worth on the kickstarter with the beta but this is great.

I agree the ship UI seems clunky, and the travel mechanic made my head hurt for about 10 seconds. But I adapted pretty quickly.

And for people who are complaining that the graphics are kind of meh, I agree they aren't spectacular, but this was kickstarted on a 3 million dollar budget, not including late pledges and whatever Harebrained kicked in on their own. It's absolutely *not* a AAA game. It's actually pretty impressive going through the original Kickstarter page how close the launch product is to the goals and stretch goals.

That being said, for it's budget and scope it's exceeding my expectations. Considering that the shadowrun games all pumped out a director's edition and spawned sequels, I have high hopes that Battletech will get the co-op or additional expansions that will make it a lot of fun.

26. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 15:19 Darks

Here are some hidden keys for taking screenshots without the UI if anyone is interested.

Ctrl + Shift + I - Debug / Fly Camera
Ctrl + Shift + U - Hide UI
Left Ctrl + K - Take 4K screenshot without UI
Left Ctrl + Left Shift + K - Take 4K screenshot with UI

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

25. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 13:59 Primalchrome

Fantastic and having a ball with it so far. Best kickstarter I ever sunk a big chunk of change into. Even though it's a massive thumbs up for me, some of the Steam reviews have teeth. There are quite a few bugs that people are hitting :
- no ultrawide support
- crashes
- slow load times
- animations/combat slow even when disabling most of it in options
- some camera jankiness even when disabling things in options
- significant resource hog
The whining about he/she/they or the fact that backers have to go through backerkit for rewards or 'this isn't the battletech *I* wanted' really shouldn't be considered valid for the steam reviews.

24. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 12:05 Yifes

The UI was confusing at first, and the tutorial doesn't really explain what all the chevrons and pips mean.

Finally got it after watching a youtube tutorial.

Great game so far. Kinda feel guilty only pledging the lowest tier during the kickstarter :/

23. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 11:51 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 11:29:
Played for a few hours last night and had an absolute blast..

For those who don't know, you should read Eck's guide. He's one of the game developers and he's undefeated in the office. So he gives you pointers. Also a lot of things that weren't explained in the tutorials.

Eck's Battletech Tactics Guide

Thanks for the link.

I thought they did a pretty good job with the tutorial in the game. The first part is super-basic and easy to not overwhelm you but leaves you with many question marks floating above your head.

However, once you get to your ship, you get the option to talk to all your crew for a much more in-depth tutorial which was really well done IMHO... a nice gradual learning curve.

I just wish those tutorials (by the crew) had more images or maybe even small video clips to explain things better.
They fail to mention a few things that are maybe not mandatory but would be really nice to know.

I'm gonna check out that guide for an even deeper understanding of the mechanics since my BattleTech ruleset knowledge is extremely rusty (dating back to the MW days in the 90s).

22. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 11:42 The Pyro

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 11:29:
For those who don't know, you should read Eck's guide...

Very helpful guide, thanks for linking it!

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo