Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers

Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries Website celebrates Star Citizen backing the two-million backer threshold. As of this writing, the game now boasts 2,024,055 backers who have now contributed $183,398,113 USD to the space game crowdfunding project, and they are offering special badges and in-game t-shirts to help players celebrate when they joined the cult. Cloud Imperium also offers an updated roadmap with a look at release plans for the rest of the year, which starts with a lengthy list of caveats about how inaccurate these may possibly be. Spoiler alert: None of this covers plans for Star Citizen or Squadron 42 to leave the alpha stage yet. Here's a bit:

As Star Citizen has continued to grow over the years, so has the community in just as many astonishing and encouraging ways. The backers remain the foundation of this project and a beacon to the entire gaming industry and beyond. You are proving that PC games, space sims, and a willingness to push these artforms into new realms of innovation are alive and well, with more exciting possibilities than ever before. With two million people (and counting) inspiring and counting on us, the Star Citizen team is more galvanized than ever in our efforts. We’re listening to what you want out of Star Citizen and working to get more amazing content and mechanics into the game, while also pouring resources and focus into quality of life improvements and polishing current features, to make it a satisfying experience, even while still in Alpha. It’s your belief in the project, from the earliest backers to those relatively new to the ‘verse, that make it all possible.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

75. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 28, 2018, 11:58 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 18:30:
Verno wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 17:19:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 01:54:
Verno wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 15:36:
Pretty hilarious to criticize a company for outdoing you at an unfinished project. Yes Derek, we know you're the true king of these messes. There's your attention, have a cookie and go away.

Annihilation was pretty good. What did you think?

Nothing could do the books justice but they nailed a lot of the abstract elements pretty well. Only Netflix money can buy that kind of weird anymore, the other studios are too risk adverse. I still prefer the books but it was a worthy effort. I was disappointed they never explored the stuff with the lighthouse keeper/etc but perhaps its being positioned for a sequel one day, I'm not sure. It sort of ends as an odd mix of book 1 and parts of 3.

Most people who haven't read the books probably are scratching their heads after watching it though.

Yeah, I never read the books, but thought it was just a very atmospheric and beautifully shot "Heart of Darkness" journey. The cinematography and use of color was amazing, even if there were a few holes and inconsistencies plot-wise. I like blockbusters as much as the next guy, but it's nice to have some more intellectual, risk-taking sci-fi as well.

There's so much the movie doesn't touch on. You should really give the books a shot sometime, fantastic and fucking weird stuff. It gets crapped on a lot by people who want everything spoonfed but I loved it.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 28, 2018, 05:59 eRe4s3r

Annihilation was a truly WTF class mindfuck.

So obviously I loved it

73. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 27, 2018, 18:30 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 17:19:
Pretty hilarious to criticize a company for outdoing you at an unfinished project. Yes Derek, we know you're the true king of these messes. There's your attention, have a cookie and go away.

Nothing could do the books justice but they nailed a lot of the abstract elements pretty well. Only Netflix money can buy that kind of weird anymore, the other studios are too risk adverse. I still prefer the books but it was a worthy effort. I was disappointed they never explored the stuff with the lighthouse keeper/etc but perhaps its being positioned for a sequel one day, I'm not sure. It sort of ends as an odd mix of book 1 and parts of 3.

Most people who haven't read the books probably are scratching their heads after watching it though.

Yeah, I never read the books, but thought it was just a very atmospheric and beautifully shot "Heart of Darkness" journey. The cinematography and use of color was amazing, even if there were a few holes and inconsistencies plot-wise. I like blockbusters as much as the next guy, but it's nice to have some more intellectual, risk-taking sci-fi as well.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

72. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 27, 2018, 17:19 Verno

71. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 27, 2018, 01:54 jdreyer

70. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 26, 2018, 15:36 Verno

69. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 19:05 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 17:04:
And your style hasn't changed much over the last 14-15 years.. from your first post on Blue's:
dsmart wrote on Dec 17, 2003, 15:06:
My apologies snide, it was Camaro76 who posted that. But screw you anyway; since you're being so thrilling stupid and a pussy about the whole thing as if I'd fed your cat a grenade.
I guess you deserve points for consistency.
roflmao, he's such a manchild.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

68. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 17:45 Beamer

dsmart wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 16:51:
Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 13:08:
dsmart wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 11:05:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 21:10:
D Wrecker is in the house! Ok, lets all go out side now Smug

Nice to see the gang's all here. In truth, though I still read Blues, I just don't join in discussions any more because it tends to devolve into a frigging inconsequential circle-jerk. Who needs that shit, when there's Reddit?

Take for instance my recent post below after many months. I only came here because a Twitter follower sent me this comment in the thread, asking for clarification (it's rubbish). But the minute I post, the completely predictable response is that it automatically became about me, rather than the subject. And yet some wonder why I reacted the way I did. Fuck 'em. Life's too short, and I'm all out of rope.

Takes a self-certified genius with a phd he's never defended to see that jdreyer was being entirely facetious and mocking how every dev/pub is looking to add a Battle Royale mode. We all appreciate you letting us know it was rubbish.

You never fail to make an absolute ass of yourself. My response was that's what I told Erik, who sent me the Twitter DM yesterday. I told him it was rubbish. That's WHY I put that comment in my BN post in parenthesis. I wasn't tell anyone here that it was rubbish, because I don't care. If I cared, I would have addressed the post directly when I came here. I didn't.

No, I understood what you meant, I was mocking that anyone took it as real. Again, you dropped the politeness, now you think you need to explain yourself to us plebes.

Derek, again, I was always polite to you. That a dev, any dev, came here still meant something, and I'd previously asked people to be more respectful to you. But c'mon, man. You're a guy who lied about his PhD for decades, sold the same game repeatedly, attacked potential buyers, and helped legitimize people like Milo Yiannopoulis. By now, plenty of posters here have surpassed your shadow, perhaps not in this industry but in others.

Somewhere in the past two years you parlayed your minor gaming celebrity into being best known as the guy who will gladly give people quotes against Star Citizen. Is that what your legacy is now? Guy who lied about his PhD and now is best known for crapping on another dev for receiving far more funding for something not even yet released?

For the record, people would let the PhD thing go if you'd ever addressed it. I know it was 20 years ago. We all did dumb shit 20 years ago. Owning up to it helps people move past it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

67. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 17:33 theyarecomingforyou

dsmart wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 16:47:
I have said this for THREE YEARS now that not only are backers not going to see a dime in refund, let alone a game of any kind
CIG has already accomplished more than you have ever done in your life and clearly the community is behind that vision. If you want to find something better to do with your time you could try dangling your testicles in a blender - I'm sure that's something most of us here could get behind.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

66. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 17:04 Mr. Tact

And your style hasn't changed much over the last 14-15 years.. from your first post on Blue's:
dsmart wrote on Dec 17, 2003, 15:06:
My apologies snide, it was Camaro76 who posted that. But screw you anyway; since you're being so thrilling stupid and a pussy about the whole thing as if I'd fed your cat a grenade.
I guess you deserve points for consistency.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

65. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 16:54  dsmart 

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 16:09:
Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 18:32:
dsmart wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 17:26:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 16:31:
dsmart wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 15:58:
Why do I care?

Are you shitting me right now?

Wait! Ignore that. I see you still haven't given up on being a complete moron, Beamer. Never give up. You'll make it to the end of that road one day. Stay strong!

You got a refund, so what's your stake now? The good name of the space game genre? Genuinely curious. Most of the stuff in your post is either history, or doesn't affect you personally.

Also, nice ad hominem.

Why do you care?

Because it seems to be all you discuss anymore, and some of us who enjoyed your opinion on other things wonder why you can't move on from SC drama.

And, again, since being polite doesn't seem to work, do you know any self-declared geniuses who are actually geniuses? It's you, Donald Trump, Kanye, and the cast of r/iamverysmart.
Not to worry, DSmart will vanish again for years once he realizes no one here will give him the confirmation bias he so craves.
sad

Oh look, the gang's all here. I have been on BN longer than you have. I don't post because of shits like you, Beamer et al.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

64. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 16:51  dsmart 

Nice to see the gang's all here. In truth, though I still read Blues, I just don't join in discussions any more because it tends to devolve into a frigging inconsequential circle-jerk. Who needs that shit, when there's Reddit?

Take for instance my recent post below after many months. I only came here because a Twitter follower sent me this comment in the thread, asking for clarification (it's rubbish). But the minute I post, the completely predictable response is that it automatically became about me, rather than the subject. And yet some wonder why I reacted the way I did. Fuck 'em. Life's too short, and I'm all out of rope.

Takes a self-certified genius with a phd he's never defended to see that jdreyer was being entirely facetious and mocking how every dev/pub is looking to add a Battle Royale mode. We all appreciate you letting us know it was rubbish.

You never fail to make an absolute ass of yourself. My response was that's what I told Erik, who sent me the Twitter DM yesterday. I told him it was rubbish. That's WHY I put that comment in my BN post in parenthesis. I wasn't tell anyone here that it was rubbish, because I don't care. If I cared, I would have addressed the post directly when I came here. I didn't.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

63. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 16:47  dsmart 

Prez wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 12:59:
In truth Roberts can at any time throw whatever he has got out into the market, say "It's finished -here you go!" and basically have met his obligation to backers. I mean the class action against Gearbox for the Colonial Marines debacle went nowhere despite the shocking number of blatant lies surrounding the whole project, and then there's No Man's Sky...

At this point, so many people are so invested in Star Citizen's utter failure that the game can actually end up shipping and being pretty good (Not an outcome that I consider likely but you never know...) yet it will always be viewed as a failure. Me, I'm keeping my expectations low (which is to say, I expect a MAJOR flop) but secretly dream of a future where SC ships and is awesome.

I have said this for THREE YEARS now that not only are backers not going to see a dime in refund, let alone a game of any kind, but now that they have effectively stopped giving legacy refunds (as I said earlier today), but only the govt will have the power to investigate and/or punish them. There won't be any lawsuits, let alone class action lawsuit because any such complaints will be forced into arbitration as per the TOS. And there is NO way backers are going to get around that.

Anyone who didn't pay attention and get a refund when they still good, only has themselves to blame. The rest of us will just continue to point and lol.

62. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 16:09 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 18:32:
dsmart wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 17:26:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 16:31:
dsmart wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 15:58:
Why do I care?

Are you shitting me right now?

Wait! Ignore that. I see you still haven't given up on being a complete moron, Beamer. Never give up. You'll make it to the end of that road one day. Stay strong!

You got a refund, so what's your stake now? The good name of the space game genre? Genuinely curious. Most of the stuff in your post is either history, or doesn't affect you personally.

Also, nice ad hominem.

Why do you care?

Because it seems to be all you discuss anymore, and some of us who enjoyed your opinion on other things wonder why you can't move on from SC drama.

And, again, since being polite doesn't seem to work, do you know any self-declared geniuses who are actually geniuses? It's you, Donald Trump, Kanye, and the cast of r/iamverysmart.
Not to worry, DSmart will vanish again for years once he realizes no one here will give him the confirmation bias he so craves.
sad

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

61. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 14:43 Beamer

Prez wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 14:41:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 13:39:

Huh, since no one had responded in thread, I thought that joke had fallen pretty flat actually.

I got a chuckle out of it. I'm just too old to go around posting "LOL" on everything I find funny on the internet.

ROFL!

-------------

60. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 14:41 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 13:39:

Huh, since no one had responded in thread, I thought that joke had fallen pretty flat actually.

I got a chuckle out of it. I'm just too old to go around posting "LOL" on everything I find funny on the internet.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

59. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 13:39 jdreyer

58. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 13:08 Beamer

-------------

57. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 12:59 Prez

In truth Roberts can at any time throw whatever he has got out into the market, say "It's finished -here you go!" and basically have met his obligation to backers. I mean the class action against Gearbox for the Colonial Marines debacle went nowhere despite the shocking number of blatant lies surrounding the whole project, and then there's No Man's Sky...

At this point, so many people are so invested in Star Citizen's utter failure that the game can actually end up shipping and being pretty good (Not an outcome that I consider likely but you never know...) yet it will always be viewed as a failure. Me, I'm keeping my expectations low (which is to say, I expect a MAJOR flop) but secretly dream of a future where SC ships and is awesome.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Star Citizen Celebrates 2M Backers Apr 24, 2018, 11:05  dsmart 

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo