Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New Ryzen CPU Reviews

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews May 1, 2018, 19:43 RedEye9

Anandtech found their boo boo
Update 04/25: After publishing this review last week, it quickly became clear that some of our results were not aligned with those from other media. Initially we were under the impression that this was as a result of the Spectre and Meltdown (or Smeltdown) updates, as we were one of the few media outlets to go back and perform retesting under the new standard.

However in order to ensure that our results were accurate and completely reproducible, we decided to undertake an extensive internal audit of our test results. As a result of that process we believe we have found the reason for our test results being so different from the results of others, which we have documented in detail in this follow-up article. In short, an issue with a non-standard use timers on Windows was causing the performance of both AMD and Intel processors to dip, particularly impacting the latter.

Now that we know what the issue is and how to correct for it, we are going back and re-running all of our benchmarks for this review to generate updated results. Some of those results have already been added to this article, and the rest are expected next week.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 22:10 Kxmode

Pr()ZaC wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 07:28:
Wha...
If you're looking for a CPU for your "multimedia" needs (+rendering), AMD is pretty much faster than Intel.
I've just read the [H] review part.

I swear, there's always people like this who don't bother to look at the benchmark charts. i7-8700K ranked at or near the top of ALL of them.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 12:53 WaltC

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 09:52:
Wow! They Ryzen 7 2700X would definitely be my choice - a lot of BANG for the money! Nice to see that intel finally gets real competition with the Ryzen cpus. Unfortunately, on the gpu side of things nvidia has nothing to fear. AMD, you pulled off something great with your cpus, now go and deliver some great graphics power!

Agree completely on the CPU part of the equation. It appears that if Intel experiences no direct competition in the CPU marketplace, the company loses interest in cpu R&D altogether! (A position highly sought after by monopolists worldwide, both actual and hopeful, I hear...;))

Those folks who for whatever reason prefer Intel cpu products should feel gratitude towards AMD--last time this sort of thing happened was when the K7 (Athlon) debuted--an event which directly led to Intel canceling all further development of the original Pentium architecture to make room for the 64-bit Core 2 architecture (because it was not even a competitor to AMD's K7 designs at the time!) Intel even spent money on a global ad campaign that stated, quote, "You don't need 64-bits on the desktop!" I doubt I shall ever forget that ad campaign because it illustrates perfectly the folly of trying to sell a negative concept as if it was positive. IMO, you'd have to be extremely arrogant to even try it.

But the GPU side of the fence is nowhere near being as simple a case as one might be forgiven for thinking these days, a general opinion that seems to favor nVidia based merely on a few repetitively published, low-res frame-rate benchmarks, etc. I, for instance, did not buy my 27" QHD (2560x1440) monitor and my 8GB GPU to play games at the low res of 1920x1080 or even lower, strangely enough (Yes, people are still publishing even 1280x720 benchmarks!) Simply put: no one who games at QHD and up should be buying his GPU based on its reported frame-rate performance at 1920x1080 and lower...;) Of course not, since the user won't be using his GPU in that manner.

But when we start running the benchmarks (and preferably the games) at QHD resolutions and up (what I bought my gear to do), then suddenly, presto-change-o, there is not a spit's worth of performance differences between AMD and nVidia!...;) This fact becomes especially poignant if one is also able to save huge percentages of the GPU purchase price at the same time by simply eschewing nVidia--money better spent on additional hardware and software, imo. It's amusing, if nothing else, to see these low-res benches pop up. But the actual value of such low-res benchmark results for people who buy QHD+ monitors and GPUs with 8GBs of onboard ram seems absolutely nil.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

20. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 11:40 WaltC

Great coverage, Blue...;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

19. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 09:52 El Pit

Wow! They Ryzen 7 2700X would definitely be my choice - a lot of BANG for the money! Nice to see that intel finally gets real competition with the Ryzen cpus. Unfortunately, on the gpu side of things nvidia has nothing to fear. AMD, you pulled off something great with your cpus, now go and deliver some great graphics power!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

18. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 07:28 Pr()ZaC

Wha...
If you're looking for a CPU for your "multimedia" needs (+rendering), AMD is pretty much faster than Intel.
I've just read the [H] review part.

17. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 04:05 Kxmode

Read the articles and in particular was impressed with the app and game benchmarks for the i7-8700K per TechSpot's review. Even more amazing is the price. $330, which is the same price for the Ryzen 7 2700X. When I upgrade, I'm going with the i7-8700K 3.7 GHz. Even at the standard 3.7 GHz, it looks like a beast for all my needs.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 03:13 Kxmode

How are AMDs today with non-gaming apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, Visual Studio, Pro Tools, and so forth?

Last time I had an AMD, it ran games great but sucked on apps like Photoshop.

15. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 19:25 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 13:54:
Creston wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 13:47:
Can someone answer this for me: Will it run on an X350 motherboard?

You mean B350, then yes, after bios update and only if one is available for your specific mainboard. You get worse (memory) performance though and whether it affects CPU perf we don't know yet.

I meant X370, got the two confused.

14. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 15:57 ledhead1969

Simon Says wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 12:39:
So TLDR version, very marginal perf increase VS Ryzen 1, sub 10%, but mostly sub 5%. Status quo in the market, more or less.

Coffee Lake i5 VS R5, i5 is still much superior with gaming, R5 is still much superior in productivity. i7 VS R7, i7 is still much superior in gaming ( heck, even the i5-8400 beat the R7's easily ), and they still trade blows in productivity.

Nothing to see here.

I don't get what reviews you checked or if I understand your reply at all.
Post 1080p the gaming differences come down to GPU. The new ones are gimped a bit in single thread but wipe the floor with NV on everything else.

13. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 15:31 RedEye9

Slick wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:05:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 12:26:
Slick wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 12:18:
Anandtech's gaming bench numbers seem to be more than a little out-of-whack with numbers that other sites are getting...

They claim to have benched with the Meltdown and Spectre fixes, which seem to have gimped Intel's offerings, while leaving these new AMD's largely unaffected. That could be a reason to see the numbers sway so wildly, but people in the comments sections don't seem convinced of that.
I thought Meltdown and Spectre fixes would not affect gaming.
If only one site is an outlier I would not trust their results.

I thought that the Melt/Spec fixes DID affect gaming. That was the whole thing about the story when it broke that Intel dun fucked up, that implementing the fixes would see significant dips in gaming performance. I think the Spectre fix in particular is more damaging in this respect, the Meltdown should be done automatically by the OS if you're up-to-date, while Spectre has to be deployed through a bios update by the mobo vendor. I think???
Anandtech knows there is an issue and posted this;
Update: A number of comments have noted that some of our gaming numbers are different to other publications. To clarify, we used the latest ASUS 0508 BIOS (on X470), full Windows RS3 + updates, Spectre/Meltdown patches, and updated gaming titles. We are reviewing the data.
It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

12. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 15:05 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 12:26:
Anandtech's gaming bench numbers seem to be more than a little out-of-whack with numbers that other sites are getting...

They claim to have benched with the Meltdown and Spectre fixes, which seem to have gimped Intel's offerings, while leaving these new AMD's largely unaffected. That could be a reason to see the numbers sway so wildly, but people in the comments sections don't seem convinced of that.

I thought that the Melt/Spec fixes DID affect gaming. That was the whole thing about the story when it broke that Intel dun fucked up, that implementing the fixes would see significant dips in gaming performance. I think the Spectre fix in particular is more damaging in this respect, the Meltdown should be done automatically by the OS if you're up-to-date, while Spectre has to be deployed through a bios update by the mobo vendor. I think???

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

11. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 13:54 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 13:47:
Can someone answer this for me: Will it run on an X350 motherboard?

You mean B350, then yes, after bios update and only if one is available for your specific mainboard. You get worse (memory) performance though and whether it affects CPU perf we don't know yet.

10. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 13:47 Creston

Can someone answer this for me: Will it run on an X370 motherboard?

Edit : Nm, finally found it in one of the reviews:

Regardless, every AM4 motherboard ever launched is capable of running "Pinnacle Ridge," and most motherboard vendors have started rolling out BIOS updates.

9. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 12:39 Simon Says

So TLDR version, very marginal perf increase VS Ryzen 1, sub 10%, but mostly sub 5%. Status quo in the market, more or less.

Coffee Lake i5 VS R5, i5 is still much superior with gaming, R5 is still much superior in productivity. i7 VS R7, i7 is still much superior in gaming ( heck, even the i5-8400 beat the R7's easily ), and they still trade blows in productivity.

Nothing to see here.

8. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 12:31 Burrito of Peace

Well done, AMD. It's time the Blue Team got their ass kicked for a while.  

7. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 12:26 RedEye9

Nullity's Law

6. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 12:18 Slick

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

5. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 12:11 Wallshadows

It's going to get even more spicy with 7nm Ryzen 2 next year. Hell, it'll be interesting to see if they're holding back on a consumer 2800X flagship or if that'll just be rolled in to the new 12nm Threadripper.  

4. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 11:41 Mordecai Walfish

Holy shit that's great news for AMD, looks like they've got a real winner on their hands. This speaks well for competition and also gives hope that we will see good computational power in the next generation of consoles as well, being that they will be using what is likely some close (in power) variant of these. The abysmal power of the jaguar cores in the current gen are a huge sore spot for the industry, as it has kept gaming technology back quite a bit for all the multiplatform games to have to account for that lowest common denominator.

Exciting times. Let's see what Intel has up it's sleeve in response next. They're getting their asses pounded in the price/performance arena as of today.

GG AMD.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo