Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I appreciate the concern some of you expressed about the possible effects of taking too much Advil. I also share it, and I got myself to the pharmacy yesterday to get a topical spray for my sore throat. This worked fine until reality set in and what I was hoping would remain a simple throat issue blossomed into a full-blown cold, so now I am a snotty, miserable mess. I have regrets that I didn't pick up something with a decongestant to ease some of these symptoms. I thought I would do that later today, but I ended up going already this morning, so today's update is brought to you by OTC drugs. In a bad bit of timing, it was just a couple of weeks ago that we cleared out the medicine cabinet and got rid of some older cold meds. These were expired to some degree or another, but I certainly wouldn't have been picky about best-by dates if we still had them. Oh well, though it's pretty severe, I'm still hopeful I can kick this fairly quickly, as I feel like this may have already peaked. We shall see.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Moto Rider 3D.
Links: MAD Magazine gets a reboot.
Science: Global warming has changed the Great Barrier Reef ‘forever,’ scientists say.
What's Next for NASA's TESS Exoplanet Hunter?
Media: Deadpool 2: The Final Trailer.
Watch traffic flow better in 30 simulations of a 4-way intersection.
If you could hear what your dog is thinking.
Follow-up: Pharma bro Martin Shkreli gets sent to federal prison in New Jersey. Thanks RedEye9.
Southwest Airlines engine explosion linked to prior accident. Thanks RedEye9.
The Funnies: Check Your Privacy Settings.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 11:28 RedEye9

RAWR Schumer to introduce marijuana decriminalization legislation (insert legal marijuana here) is good! IGNORANCE BAD!

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 09:27 Beamer

Retired wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 12:53:
RAWR (insert illegal drug here) is good! ADVIL BAD!

Only on BN.

The opportunity for him to do damage with Advil is so tiny it is laughable to even bring it up.

/Pretty much only thing that would worry me over the date is an epi pen. They turn cloudy and their shelf life is hardly a year. Considering the seriousness of when it would be used, not something we take a chance on.

Man, read through the discussion people here are having. It isn't "illegal drug!," it's weed. I've never even done it (don't take Advil, either), but c'mon.

Also, as you've been doing more and more lately, almost exclusively, you run in somewhere, drop a conservative opinion (often with a liberal strawman attached, often uninformed), then are never seen again when people respond with actual points and cited information.

You're better than this, Bats. We all like you.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 09:04 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 23:56:
Interesting BoP. Was any theory put forth as to what might be causing your alpha waves to stay flat? The low levels of a particular enzyme or something perhaps? Or were you given the infamous shrug?

The prevailing opinion is that it is probably a genetic inheritance on the paternal side. My father remembers my grandfather having similar sleeping patterns as I do and he, my father, has insomnia as well though to a lesser intensity than I do.

jdreyer wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 02:49:
Uh, before you decide to do that, you might want to watch this documentary.

That was entirely the reason why I said that.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 08:59 Cutter

Yeah, I think it'd be far easier and quicker to jump into the Bearing Strait. Who knows you may even freeze and have anthropologists find you in a few 1000 years. Maybe even bring you back to life and fix you in some distant future. Then you'd be like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 02:49 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 20:58:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 18:54:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 17:22:
on my fourth or more day of no sleep
As a person who stayed at a holiday inn once I recommend smoking every night or "pro re nata" p.r.n. I'd think that not sleeping for days on end would be much much much much much worse than an evening toke.

Those are just the really long jags of sleeplessness. My record is 8 days sans sleep. You bet that earned me a trip to the hospital but that was pre-cannabis use. My "normal" insomnia is just a shortened sleep cycle. A good night's sleep for me is, on average, about 4 hours.

After long talks with my physician, we're limiting usage to just the long jags. There's not enough factual studies without an agenda attached that would provide us with information for nightly use/long term use. On the flip side, chronic insomnia does mean that I am at a much higher risk for dementia or Alzheimer's. However, I have a plan for that. If I get a confirmed, multi-opinion diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer's, I am going to buy a ticket to Alaska. There, I will go to where there are bears. Angry, ornery bears in all hope. Then I will strip naked and get in to a fight with one or more bears. Go out with dignity and as my ancestors did. A manly death, one worthy of song in the mead halls.

Uh, before you decide to do that, you might want to watch this documentary.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2018, 00:33 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 22:39:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 21:28:
Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 18:58:
Huh, funny you mention that about the Mary Jane. I was talking with a lady at physio today who's tonic is chronic for her back pain. She doesn't like getting high though so I told her to see if she can get her hands on some hash as it works far better a body stone and leaves the mind a lot clearer. Back in the day when I smoked regularly I always preferred hash to weed, mostly for that reason. Nothing like doing some hot knives with the ice cube tube or the gas mask bong, eh? Hippy

Weed goes legal in Canada in July. Not sure if hash is included in that but I still have enough pals that are regular heads that'll they'll be making it for sure. Can't wait to try some again as it's probably been 20 years since I last had any. I can't stand the chronic myself. Maybe if low-grade pot starts being produced again I might give it a whirl.

Hash can be made from any strain and has different properties depending on the strain and its chemical composition. If you're looking for the body buzz/relax over the mind high, then you're looking specifically for an indica, usually.
But to explain your experience, back in the day hash mostly came from central asia and they were mostly growing indica there.

In TO growing up funny thing was hash (generally black Afghani stuff but blonde from time to time if you were lucky) was way more prevalent at the time. Whereas it's been the complete opposite for the last 20 years, or so I understand. I'm assuming that was probably the same for most everyone in the northeast part of NA. Have no idea what particular weed any of it was made from. Found a few really good tutorials on Youtube so it's not hard to do. Oddly hash oil was really rare though.

Europe and international cities like Toronto had a much easier time getting hash from drug networks in central asia... It's just easier to move. United States was awash in Mexi-bricks of brown weed... you'd notice that it never had "crystals" on it.. because they'd spin it industrial dryers collect all those trichomes and make hash and sell it to other markets for making spliffs etc.
I know Canada obviously had homegrowers too making herb available, but big cities always have easier access to imports.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 23:56 Mr. Tact

Interesting BoP. Was any theory put forth as to what might be causing your alpha waves to stay flat? The low levels of a particular enzyme or something perhaps? Or were you given the infamous shrug?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 23:46 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 22:43:
BoP, you ever been to a shrink to get training something like mindfulness or cognitive behavior therapy? I know those techniques are good for learning how to switch off the amygdala - which is the main problem for all manner of conditions. Quick search shows that there are specific programs setup for insomnia. Ever use magnesium and/or melatonin? That always works like a charm for me when I have trouble sleeping.

Yep. Magnesium and melatonin have zero effect on me. Went through psychotherapy in my mid to late 20s and it did not help because of the neurological activity of my brain.

I'll try to explain this in layman's terms with some generalization and simplification:

For the average person, your beta and gamma waves are at their highest state when you are awake. They control and process your active cognitive functions and do things like experience and record stimuli, focus on a difficult task, make decisions, etc. When you begin the process of going to sleep, your alpha waves help the transition as gamma and beta begin to decline and theta waves, which drop you in to unconsciousness, begin to rise and lead to an increase in delta waves. Delta waves occur when you are in the deepest state of slumber and are generally the cause of your dreams as they somewhat piggyback off of gamma and beta.

In my particular case, my problem lies with the alpha wave graph. Without some sort of assistance, my graph remains mostly flat with gamma and beta still very highly active. Because of that, the theta waves aren't brought up to correct levels because my brain hasn't received the signal yet that we're going for a partial shutdown. Thus my wakefulness. Where cannabis comes in is that it stimulates the brain in to higher alpha wave production. That's why on a really good high you get that hazy, dreamy feeling. If you elect to avoid cannabis, your alternatives are depressants and sedatives. I tried the depressants early on and, while they worked to some degree, they radically changed my personality. To the point where I lost interest in things that those closest to me know are deep passions of mine. I stopped writing, I stopped working on my project cars, etc. I went from being active to I'll throw the ball for the dog for a couple of minutes, then stare out over the fields, and completely lose interest in what I was doing. I also became comically forgetful. Someone would tell me something and I would forget it within a very short amount of time. I've already mentioned my experiences with sedatives.

For me, cannabis hits the sweet spot where it elevates my alpha waves high enough to override theta and beta without the side effects of pharmaceuticals.

A fun side effect is that the high gamma and beta wave activity also has given me the ability to remember every dream I have ever had in precise detail. Another fun side effect is that caffeine has almost no effect on me whatsoever.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2018, 08:53.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 22:43 Cutter

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 20:58:
As a person who stayed at a holiday inn once I recommend smoking every night or "pro re nata" p.r.n. I'd think that not sleeping for days on end would be much much much much much worse than an evening toke.

Those are just the really long jags of sleeplessness. My record is 8 days sans sleep. You bet that earned me a trip to the hospital but that was pre-cannabis use. My "normal" insomnia is just a shortened sleep cycle. A good night's sleep for me is, on average, about 4 hours.

After long talks with my physician, we're limiting usage to just the long jags. There's not enough factual studies without an agenda attached that would provide us with information for nightly use/long term use. On the flip side, chronic insomnia does mean that I am at a much higher risk for dementia or Alzheimer's. However, I have a plan for that. If I get a confirmed, multi-opinion diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer's, I am going to buy a ticket to Alaska. There, I will go to where there are bears. Angry, ornery bears in all hope. Then I will strip naked and get in to a fight with one or more bears. Go out with dignity and as my ancestors did. A manly death, one worthy of song in the mead halls.

BoP, you ever been to a shrink to get training something like mindfulness or cognitive behavior therapy? I know those techniques are good for learning how to switch off the amygdala - which is the main problem for all manner of conditions. Quick search shows that there are specific programs setup for insomnia. Ever use magnesium and/or melatonin? That always works like a charm for me when I have trouble sleeping.

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 22:39 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 21:28:
Huh, funny you mention that about the Mary Jane. I was talking with a lady at physio today who's tonic is chronic for her back pain. She doesn't like getting high though so I told her to see if she can get her hands on some hash as it works far better a body stone and leaves the mind a lot clearer. Back in the day when I smoked regularly I always preferred hash to weed, mostly for that reason. Nothing like doing some hot knives with the ice cube tube or the gas mask bong, eh? Hippy

Weed goes legal in Canada in July. Not sure if hash is included in that but I still have enough pals that are regular heads that'll they'll be making it for sure. Can't wait to try some again as it's probably been 20 years since I last had any. I can't stand the chronic myself. Maybe if low-grade pot starts being produced again I might give it a whirl.

Hash can be made from any strain and has different properties depending on the strain and its chemical composition. If you're looking for the body buzz/relax over the mind high, then you're looking specifically for an indica, usually.
But to explain your experience, back in the day hash mostly came from central asia and they were mostly growing indica there.

In TO growing up funny thing was hash (generally black Afghani stuff but blonde from time to time if you were lucky) was way more prevalent at the time. Whereas it's been the complete opposite for the last 20 years, or so I understand. I'm assuming that was probably the same for most everyone in the northeast part of NA. Have no idea what particular weed any of it was made from. Found a few really good tutorials on Youtube so it's not hard to do. Oddly hash oil was really rare though.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 21:28 Sepharo

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 20:58 Burrito of Peace

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 19:53 jdreyer

applications.

Side note to my fellow Bluesers: If there are days where it appears that I have become unhinged and posted some incoherent, irrational screed, just be advised that I am probably on my fourth or more day of no sleep. Just pat me on the head and I will return either the next day or a couple of days later back in my somewhat right mind.

Gotcha, Burrito.

Toke on. Beatnik

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 18:58 Cutter

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 18:54 RedEye9

"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 18:49 Cutter

Nimh wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:58:
Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:13:
Slick wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:07:
Too much Ibuprophen is bad, but nowhere near as bad as too much Acetaminophen.

The dangers of both of those are they're ototoxic and ibuprofen in particular can really spike your blood pressure dangerously high depending on your genetics. I found that out the hard way. I was prescribed prescription strength ibuprofen once for pain and it was pushing my BP over 200. So I got yanked off that PDQ. If you have to take those or aspirin always do so sparingly and as minimally as possible.

You have high blood pressure all the time. Not even a doctor and I can tell you that.

No, I don't and high BP isn't something to joke about. Some meds can really do a number on you.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 18:36 oliversl

Get Well Soon! May I recommend the spray Camilosan for your throat?  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 17:22 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 13:10:
Retired wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 12:53:
RAWR (insert illegal drug here) is good! ADVIL BAD!
Only on BN.
Are you referring to the mention of smoking a bowl yesterday as the "illegal drug". Do you actually believe what you post?

Only in a pigs world.

I would assume so and, since I posted it, I'll respond.

I know that this is very, very hard for people who live in a monochromatic world to understand but there are states where *gasp* cannabis is legally and openly sold. I'll wait a moment for the pearl clutching to die down.

Moreover, just because something is "illegal" doesn't inherently make it amoral and unethical. Likewise, just because something is "legal" doesn't make it moral and ethical. Case in point: the opioid problem we face in the US which is out of control as they were, until very recently, handed out like candy.

The plural of anecdote is not data and I am certainly not going to tell you that cannabis is the cureall for everything from hangnails to AIDS. It isn't. I can only relate my experience and opinion on the subject. I have had crippling chronic insomnia since puberty struck. I am 40 now. For 25 years, I tried every home remedy, wives tale, homeopathic concoction, and prescription drug known to man. With the exception of heavy sedatives usually reserved to placate violent mental patients, nothing works because my brain just can't calm the fuck down and let me sleep. If I do take those heavy sedatives, I'm a drooling zombie for 48-72 hours. You know what puts me out like a baby and allows me to wake up 6-7 hours later with no side effects? Cannabis. Would you like to know what my physician and my neurologist have said about using cannabis to help me sleep? They're all for it with the stipulation, primarily from my physician, that I don't smoke a bowl every night which I do not. I reserve it solely for when I haven't slept at all for 4+ days.

"Oh but Burrito, you mentioned it in the last thread because of pain and now you're talking about insomnia. Those two aren't in any way related!"

Then, by all means, let's get to my second anecdote. When I was 25, an incident occurred that caused extensive damage to my lower back. I am talking requiring a metal cage to repair my spine and having enough staples holding me together to qualify me for induction in to the Bostich Hall of Fame. I have an allergy to opioids that cause me to be violently sick. The Exorcist levels of sick. So there I am, two days out of the hospital, and in so much pain that I can't even do so much as move my legs without my field of vision turning white. The old man comes by for a visit and asks me how I'm doing. I'm honest with him so he rolls me out on the back porch and helps me in to one of our massive Adirondack rockets. He pulls out from his breast pocket a baggie of Thai sticks. One of the most surreal experiences was smoking with my old man, a man who is incredibly straight laced, and it was my first time ever smoking cannabis. However, the important part is that for the first time since I awoke from the operation I was not in any pain. I could even shuffle my feet a little which was awesome. He kept me supplied on his own dime until the point where I could ween off and start using a muscle relaxer.

My third anecdote, related to the second, is my wife. She has debilitating RA in her hands. On your average day, she cannot straighten her hands out flat as you or I can without thinking. Mrs. "Letter of the Law at all times" Burrito one day broke down and asked if she could try some since the prescription NSAIDs weren't doing much anymore. So we smoked together whereupon she promptly passed right out. When she awoke, I saw her flatten out her hands and be able to use them normally for two days afterward with only very minor pain. I had not observed her being able to do that for years prior to that point. Her rheumatologist is completely onboard with her sporadic usage since it does provide her so much relief.

I'm not a habitual user but there is clear and compelling evidence from studies that cannabis does have many beneficial medical uses and applications. Even Texas, as crotchety, antediluvian, and backwards as it is, has recognized this and made CBDs legal for select applications.

Side note to my fellow Bluesers: If there are days where it appears that I have become unhinged and posted some incoherent, irrational screed, just be advised that I am probably on my fourth or more day of no sleep. Just pat me on the head and I will return either the next day or a couple of days later back in my somewhat right mind.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 15:58 Nimh

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:13:
Too much Ibuprophen is bad, but nowhere near as bad as too much Acetaminophen.

The dangers of both of those are they're ototoxic and ibuprofen in particular can really spike your blood pressure dangerously high depending on your genetics. I found that out the hard way. I was prescribed prescription strength ibuprofen once for pain and it was pushing my BP over 200. So I got yanked off that PDQ. If you have to take those or aspirin always do so sparingly and as minimally as possible.

You have high blood pressure all the time. Not even a doctor and I can tell you that.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2018, 15:36 RedEye9

Too much Ibuprofen is bad, but nowhere near as bad as too much Acetaminophen.
Exactly, with normal alcohol consumption combined with tylenol there is a chance you can kiss your liver goodbye.

"Nullity's Law"

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo