Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer

Piranha Games offers a new trailer from MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries showing off the kind of destruction to expect when their Mech game is released in December. Here's the official explanation:
While there has been damage of sorts featured in past MechWarrior games, none have extended the destructibility feature to the extent of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. And having played various builds of the game to date, I can attest that blowing shit up in a giant robot FEELS REALLY FREAKING GOOD.

TYPES OF DESTRUCTION:

• MECH DAMAGE: Mechs will take damage to various parts, including limbs – and depending on what has been damaged on your mech will vastly affect how you can perform in battle. If your leg is destroyed you may not have the stamina or speed to get back to your dropship in time, for example.
  • ENVIRONMENT DAMAGE: Environments can cause damage as much as an environment can absorb damage. If you are on a hot planet and running a larger/quick-to-overhead mech build, you will be able to deal far less damage to your enemies. Additionally, in both urban and natural environments you will have the ability to use buildings, certain rock formations and trees as cover but all of it is destructible – so if getting at enemy mechs means taking down a skyscraper, THEN BY ALL MEANS…
  • ENEMY AI DAMAGE: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will feature numerous forms of enemy AI infantry and combat vehicles and helicopters designed to defend and protect bases, forts, mines or resources. Taking them out will require precision aim and a penchant for knowing which types of ammo and weaponry work best to deal with smaller but deadly and hostile units.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries launches this December. It is the first single-player MechWarrior game in more than two decades. Featuring co-op, full modding support and a campaign with replayability in mind, you will navigate your band of rogue pilots and crew into one of the more feared, respected and coveted lance’s (unit) in the Inner Sphere. Learn more at www.mw5mercs.com.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 19, 2018, 10:05 Scheherazade

Kajetan wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 01:49:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 12:41:
People say this, but I feel like you generally a game like this doesn't need AI much more advanced than "run towards the player while shooting its guns" to carry a single player campaign. You're not going to have the AI pull feints or flanking maneuvers, things like that are done with event triggers.
The famous "AI" of Far Cry 1 was nothing more than cleverly staged skripts, depending on the position of the player in regard of a specific area. The AI itself was as in every shooter. Run or drive at player, shoot and throw grenades until one of them dies. The illusion worked perfectly, today players still fawn over the "clever" AI of Far Cry 1

Yet to this day FC1 AI is still the only AI that has had convincingly human-like behavior (in my experience).

Literally the only game where at times I said to myself : "Damn, a person would have done that" (regarding sneaky/tricky behavior, not the banalities of how they shoot or take cover).

-scheherazade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 19, 2018, 01:49 Kajetan

People say this, but I feel like you generally a game like this doesn't need AI much more advanced than "run towards the player while shooting its guns" to carry a single player campaign. You're not going to have the AI pull feints or flanking maneuvers, things like that are done with event triggers.
The famous "AI" of Far Cry 1 was nothing more than cleverly staged skripts, depending on the position of the player in regard of a specific area. The AI itself was as in every shooter. Run or drive at player, shoot and throw grenades until one of them dies. The illusion worked perfectly, today players still fawn over the "clever" AI of Far Cry 1

18. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 18, 2018, 20:24 Hump

Stormsinger wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 18:43:
As long as there are squishies on the battlefield, I'll probably go for it. Kesmai dangled that bait long enough that I have to admit it's one that totally hooks me.

The BT:3025 beta was how the game should be played. Stock mechs that force one to use skill first and foremost while capturing planets. I adored that game and it was one of the most heartbreaking moments I had in gaming when EA canceled it at the 11th hour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

17. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 19:05 Bumpy

DangerDog wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 14:29:
I'm not seeing anything amazing here. Unit deaths and the same destructible mech parts we've had since the 90's. You want to impress us, show a building with some good collapse physics and parts you can chip off. Or how about ground deformation? Or anything other than the standard "he look, you can blow up vehicles" which is like the bare minimum.

I agree. I prefer quality over quantity. Looks like they dumped lots of been there done that shock and awe with no actual art direction.

16. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 18, 2018, 18:43 Stormsinger

As long as there are squishies on the battlefield, I'll probably go for it. Kesmai dangled that bait long enough that I have to admit it's one that totally hooks me.  

15. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 16:25 Hump

Releasing in December??

they CANNOT be that dense. Its a niche title that will absolutely get buried during the holidays.

they must have a good reason but I can't think of a single one

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

14. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 14:53 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 11:48:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 10:51:
The corny music is not doing it for me. Gotta say the trailer is pretty uninspired, and much worse than the last one. The soundtrack choice is probably the main reason why I feel that way, the other being that it doesn't really show anything more than we've already seen. I hope the destruction aspect won't be gimmicky.

Par for the course for PGI minimally viable? Everything about even the non-gameplay trailer of MW2: Mercs has the 'rule of cool.' Intense action, voice acting, fitting music.
Non-gameplay trailer for MechWarrior 3 (that narrator lol, good times)
Non-gameplay trailer for MW4:V.
MechWarrior 4: Merc Gameplay trailer.

I'm sure this re-invented MW5 may be a breath of fresh air from PGI's milking nostaglia tactics with 'freemium' at the very least. It does look way too bright and clean though, compared with the original gritty/lived-in look of the earlier MW5, others may have a different opinion than mine of course.

Still withholding hype in case it simply doesn't live up to my expectations. It could end up a buggy mess, or just lacking content in general since this isn't exactly a high production studio. They should show simply more than shooting at stuff, like with MW4:Mercs, what was fun for me was the diverging campaigns and selecting different planets. Show that. Show voice acting, dynamic moments in mission, etc.

The best thing is that the MW4 intro still looks and feels better than the game trailer above, even at SD res I have no hype at all for this, PGI showed already that they can't make a Mech game worth a damn. They don't have the skills to make anything in it feel like it has weight. Even the mechs in this trailer look like they float on some low grav world.

13. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 14:30 Primalchrome

KS wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 13:33:
You lose the leg, and your mech has to hobble/jump like robots with one leg humans actually make do.
Realism doesn't always translate to *fun*. Having a mech go peg-leg with a blown out appendage still gives the player a degree of control and counterplay. When they tried for realistic knockdown the overwhelming feedback was "fuck that".

I know helos are canon in MW, but I wish they looked a bit more futuristic: something like this, or like this.
Agreed. I wish that they would add a little dragonfly zippy aspect to give them a slightly longer TTK as well. Loved using Warrior helos in Battletech for spotting.

12. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 14:29 DangerDog

I'm not seeing anything amazing here. Unit deaths and the same destructible mech parts we've had since the 90's. You want to impress us, show a building with some good collapse physics and parts you can chip off. Or how about ground deformation? Or anything other than the standard "he look, you can blow up vehicles" which is like the bare minimum.  

11. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 13:45 jdreyer

Let's all be happy that we're finally getting a new single player MW game. It has been a long time in coming. I think this looks fantastic. Even if the AI is subpar, walking around in a giant mech in a modern engine is going to be fun. Configuring mechs and managing my stable will be fun. This won't be a day-1 purchase for me, because I'll wait until they issue a few patches, but I'll buy it within a month or so of release.

Since it's traditional on Blues to complain, here's mine: I know helos are canon in MW, but I wish they looked a bit more futuristic: something like this, or like this.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 13:39 Orogogus

KS wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 13:33:
If your leg is destroyed you may not have the stamina or speed to get back to your dropship in time, for example.

You're doing it wrong.

You lose the leg, and your mech has to hobble/jump like robots with one leg humans actually make do.

Animate that and forget about game design where "lost leg" = 50% speed and 50% stamina. That is from an era where actual loss of leg computation and mechanical action was impossible so must be crudely simulated via those numbers.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we've developed robots that can walk on two legs very convincingly yet. Every video game uses canned animations for walking and running, maybe with inverse kinematics to make it look good. If the MW5 guys could simulate hobbled 'Mechs or even just regular walking and running with in-game physics then they'd be making real 'Mechs and not video games.

9. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 13:33 KS

If your leg is destroyed you may not have the stamina or speed to get back to your dropship in time, for example.

You're doing it wrong.

Animate that and forget about game design where "lost leg" = 50% speed and 50% stamina. That is from an era where actual loss of leg computation and mechanical action was impossible so must be crudely simulated via those numbers.

8. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 13:33 Orogogus

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 13:17:
It's not just that, that can be done fine with events and triggers like you said.. The issue is things like weak points in armor will not be favored (simple programming), no torso twists to protect weak points (weighted averages on sides), no peak and shoot cover mechanics (most fps shooters have cover and flank that don't turn out the best but still passable). Same things like this will make the game much better and you can "difficulty" slider all these things with how fast they react.

They've watched millions of metric points on MWO and the tactics but I guarantee you from the game play videos showing everything just driving right at them.

Looks like a locust right right into him and then goes "oops" and turns around.. Can't program radial orbits for fighting? 10 minutes of gameplay back in december

In general I feel like most of those tactics would make the game less fun for the majority of players. They don't want to see their units focus fired to death in a single player game, or to face off against a line of poptarts. It's like saying how great it would be for the computer to use strategy and tactics in a FPS game, but there's usually 30 of the bad guys and one of you; if they were behaving intelligently you'd be dead.

They might have twist shielding, though. I think that's basically been in MW3 and MW4. Those other tactics, not so much.

7. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 13:17 Tipsy McStagger

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 11:29:
While I think they'll get lots right.... I don't have any faith in PGI ability to program AI good enough.

Like, when I read the Wing Commander I strategy guide it laid out all these detailed flowcharts of how all the AI decides its maneuvers, but in practice it didn't really feel different from any shovelware shooter where everything's programmed to just fly at you and shoot.

It's not just that, that can be done fine with events and triggers like you said.. The issue is things like weak points in armor will not be favored (simple programming), no torso twists to protect weak points (weighted averages on sides), no peak and shoot cover mechanics (most fps shooters have cover and flank that don't turn out the best but still passable). Same things like this will make the game much better and you can "difficulty" slider all these things with how fast they react.

They've watched millions of metric points on MWO and the tactics but I guarantee you from the game play videos showing everything just driving right at them.

Looks like a locust right right into him and then goes "oops" and turns around.. Can't program radial orbits for fighting? 10 minutes of gameplay back in december

6. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 12:41 Orogogus

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 11:29:
While I think they'll get lots right.... I don't have any faith in PGI ability to program AI good enough.

Like, when I read the Wing Commander I strategy guide it laid out all these detailed flowcharts of how all the AI decides its maneuvers, but in practice it didn't really feel different from any shovelware shooter where everything's programmed to just fly at you and shoot.

5. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 12:34 Primalchrome

Sweet mother...that music was corny as hell. I'm hoping they meant it as a tongue in cheek nod to the 80's.

The Catapult doing a DFA is interesting. If they have ramming and DFA as physical attacks, that could be fun. Overall nothing to get overly excited about, but I'm looking forward to a single player/Co-Op Mechwarrior experience.

4. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 11:48 Task

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 10:51:
The corny music is not doing it for me. Gotta say the trailer is pretty uninspired, and much worse than the last one. The soundtrack choice is probably the main reason why I feel that way, the other being that it doesn't really show anything more than we've already seen. I hope the destruction aspect won't be gimmicky.

Par for the course for PGI minimally viable? Everything about even the non-gameplay trailer of MW2: Mercs has the 'rule of cool.' Intense action, voice acting, fitting music.
Non-gameplay trailer for MechWarrior 3 (that narrator lol, good times)
Non-gameplay trailer for MW4:V.
MechWarrior 4: Merc Gameplay trailer.

I'm sure this re-invented MW5 may be a breath of fresh air from PGI's milking nostaglia tactics with 'freemium' at the very least. It does look way too bright and clean though, compared with the original gritty/lived-in look of the earlier MW5, others may have a different opinion than mine of course.

Still withholding hype in case it simply doesn't live up to my expectations. It could end up a buggy mess, or just lacking content in general since this isn't exactly a high production studio. They should show simply more than shooting at stuff, like with MW4:Mercs, what was fun for me was the diverging campaigns and selecting different planets. Show that. Show voice acting, dynamic moments in mission, etc.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

3. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 11:29 Tipsy McStagger

2. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 10:51 VaranDragon

1. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 10:34 Darks

Looks pretty good. Looking forward to some Coop with this.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >