Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching

In a tweet on Friday, Boss Key's Cliff Bleszinski called out his old mates at Epic Games for poaching employees, saying, "Hey @epicgames, could you please stop trying to hire away my team? We just launched @Radical_Heights on #UE4 and are really happy with how it’s going." VG247 points out that though he does not specify William McCarroll, the former LawBreakers programmer was recently hired by Epic, which prompted him to reply directly:

With all due respect, assuming that Epic is the one starting contact / poaching is a bit presumptuous. We all had our own reasons for making the choice to leave BKP for Epic, and to act like we are commodities being stolen is a bit hurtful. We are people first and foremost.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 20:34 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 15:03:
Without snatch we would have no one to poach our eggs.

think about it

i'll show myself out

Laugh2

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 15:03 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:41:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:26:
i'm doing this for the drama.

If Epic made the initial overture to acquire said employees, "poach" is absolutely the correct word. It's such common usage that if you google it, it comes up as the example

- take or acquire in an unfair or clandestine way.
"employers risk having their newly trained workers poached by other companies"

On the contrary, I've *never* heard "snatch" used in that context.
Without snatch we would have no one to poach our eggs.

think about it

i'll show myself out

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

27. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 13:50 Sepharo

merriam-webster and oxford both have usage listings specific to employee hiring

and of course the best dictionary, wiktionary, does as well

26. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 13:41 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:26:
William McCarroll, the former LawBreakers programmer was recently hired by Epic: "With all due respect, assuming that Epic is the one starting contact / poaching is a bit presumptuous. We all had our own reasons for making the choice to leave BKP for Epic, and to act like we are commodities being stolen is a bit hurtful. We are people first and foremost."

"Snatch" is a better word. It's triggers less drama than poach.

If Epic made the initial overture to acquire said employees, "poach" is absolutely the correct word. It's such common usage that if you google it, it comes up as the example

- take or acquire in an unfair or clandestine way.
"employers risk having their newly trained workers poached by other companies"

On the contrary, I've *never* heard "snatch" used in that context.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

25. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 13:26 Kxmode

MattyC wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 10:13:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 00:17:
CliffyB uses the word "poaching" like he knows what it even means. First, if his ex-employees accepts Epic's offer that's not poaching; it's called being smart. Second, poaching usually involve hunters entering owned lands and killing animals without permission.

I don't really care about anything going on here (though I was hoping for more info on what Boss Key is), but assuming you are not trolling, words have multiple meanings in English. 'to acquire in a clandestine way' is a perfectly valid definition of poach that doesn't involve people hunting Boss Key employs. I also poached some eggs over the weekend and I don't think any hunters were "entering" my "owned lands"...

William McCarroll, the former LawBreakers programmer was recently hired by Epic: "With all due respect, assuming that Epic is the one starting contact / poaching is a bit presumptuous. We all had our own reasons for making the choice to leave BKP for Epic, and to act like we are commodities being stolen is a bit hurtful. We are people first and foremost."

"Snatch" is a better word. It's triggers less drama than poach.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

24. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 12:34 Prez

I've seen Unity asset-laden shovelware Steam games that look better than Radical Heights did in the Let's Play I watched last night. I actually feel pity for Blezinski that this is what his career has come to. It's honestly sad. The sheer 'me too' desperation of his last 2 projects makes me feel embarraised for him. Epic isnt poaching talent, they are rescuing it from Blezinski's rapidly sinking ship.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 11:46 jacobvandy

Shh, I said y'all so it doesn't sound like I'm addressing a specific person who went so far as to tweet back at Cliffy with a meme about misusing words.  

22. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 11:30 RedEye9

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 11:09:
Y'all realize it was Blue who chose that word and not Cliff, right? The actual tweet is quoted right there, "stop trying to hire away my team."
You do realize that poaching is implied and that a former LawBreakers programmer, William McCarroll, said it first.
I like my poached developers on toast (3 minute eggs please)

21. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 11:09 jacobvandy

Y'all realize it was Blue who chose that word and not Cliff, right? The actual tweet is quoted right there, "stop trying to hire away my team."  

20. Re: Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 10:46 Agent.X7

When your employees apply to your former studio because they know they are working for a company that is in trouble and you throw a hissy fit because C'MON GUYS! WORK WITH ME HERE! JUST TWO OR THREE MORE GAMES AND YOU'LL ALL BE RICH! Where are you going!??! Noooooooo! *Darth Vader arms*  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

19. Re: Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 10:18 RedEye9

Sepharo wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 08:32:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 00:28:
OpticNerve wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 00:20:
Also, is it really poaching when people are probably jumping ship?

Nope. He's trying to create a trigger word to get people's jimmies in a bunch. It's the wrong trigger word. "Poaching" is not the word he should be using. What he should be using is "snatch."

Regardless of whether it's the reality of the situation or not, he's using the word right. Stop being a weirdo.
But Epic is literally using a moist-heat cooking method that involves submerging employees in liquid.

https://www.recruiter.com/i/the-dos-and-donts-of-employee-poaching/
https://www.inc.com/guides/201101/how-to-poach-an-employee-from-a-competitor.html
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-poach-egg

18. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 10:13 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 00:17:
CliffyB uses the word "poaching" like he knows what it even means. First, if his ex-employees accepts Epic's offer that's not poaching; it's called being smart. Second, poaching usually involve hunters entering owned lands and killing animals without permission.

I don't really care about anything going on here (though I was hoping for more info on what Boss Key is), but assuming you are not trolling, words have multiple meanings in English. 'to acquire in a clandestine way' is a perfectly valid definition of poach that doesn't involve people hunting Boss Key employs. I also poached some eggs over the weekend and I don't think any hunters were "entering" my "owned lands"...

17. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 10:03 [SC]TherMight

The death cry of a dying studio, jaded by failure  

16. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 09:59 Ozmodan

When you work your employees like dogs and don't pay them, you should not whine when they find better employment.  

15. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 08:59 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 21:09:
So the garage band tweets at the current chart-topper with an accusation of stolen melodies... Just an excuse to promote their new album to a fan base much larger than their own.

They must have really meant it when they described Radical Heights as a passion project, if they're "really happy" about these numbers for a FREE game: http://steamcharts.com/app/809960#All

Hey, that's literally like 400 times more people than are playing Lawbreakers.

14. Re: Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 08:32 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 00:28:
OpticNerve wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 00:20:
Also, is it really poaching when people are probably jumping ship?

Nope. He's trying to create a trigger word to get people's jimmies in a bunch. It's the wrong trigger word. "Poaching" is not the word he should be using. What he should be using is "snatch."

Regardless of whether it's the reality of the situation or not, he's using the word right. Stop being a weirdo.

13. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 08:19 El Pit

Epic Fail - this is exactly what we can witness here.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

12. Re: SOS Early Access Apr 17, 2018, 08:15 Angrius Maximis

Hey Cliff what happened to the last ripoff game you had, the one that copied Overwatch? What was it...Lawbreakers? Yeah thats it...anyone still play that?  

11. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 07:53 Tipsy McStagger

I bet there's some buffer between cliff and the main grunt staff, like a few managers.

We all know cliff would be crazy toxic in his own company unless they did that. Dude is so fucking out of touch... Want to keep your employees? Couple things:
A) pay them a little more than they're worth
B) have leaders who help them grow
C) don't have a sinking ship

Don't blame other viable companies for offering those three items when you can't.

10. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 06:25 ViRGE

In fairness to Cliffy B, Epic has been known to snatch up capable developers from other houses who use their engine. I doubt there's any malice to what they're doing here, but he's hardly the only person to lose staff to Epic.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo