Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 16:25 Cutter

You can't get the money to stop when the recipients of said money are the ones who make the laws. That means electing anything but the Dems/GOP as a majority and getting them to do this. Otherwise it's not only never going to stop it's only going to get worse, as it has been doing. The corps are directly writing legislation now. The dystopia is rapidly on the way. Looks like all the cyberpunk writers were well ahead of the curve.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:48 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 14:31:
We must, must, must get private money out of politics.
Not likely to happen anytime soon. Heard a good story about this on NPR the other day. They were talking about how Montana had some of the most restrictive laws on political campaign funding. Because in the early 1900s the guy who had monopolized the copper market basically bought off the entire Montana legislature. So, in 1912 they passed a law basically putting the kibosh on most of the things which were wrong with campaign financing -- until Citizens United.

Now they are stuck again (as we all are) with the same nonsense they recognized as being bad for the public, but they are now powerless to stop it. Have no doubt about it, the GOP's theft of the Merrick Garland SCOTUS seat is a powerful victory which will be damaging the US for a generation to come.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:31 jdreyer

I've been using TaxAct for years. Tried TurboTax one year to compare to TaxAct, and not only was the online version more confusing, they missed a asking me about a deduction that TaxAct got, so I would have gotten less back. It left me with a bad impression. Glad to know they're also lobbying dicks.

We must, must, must get private money out of politics. $100 donations from people and companies? Fine. But no more dark money. No more PACs. Etc. Etc. IT's just too corrupting.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 12:10 heroin

Yeah FUCK TurboTax. Intuit is a great place to work, they have a great salad bar, kombucha, a snack cart goes around with free whatever you want, it's pure luxury. If your job sucks you should try to work at Intuit. But, Intuit fights to keep you doing your taxes and they fight to minimize their competition.

This year TurboTax was going to charge me $80 to file... while Credit Karma was $0 for both both Federal & state. Looks like Intuit is in a losing battle.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo