Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 10:57 Beamer

Blue wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 10:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 13:17:
Setting the clock in the 2018 Subaru Outback requires 19 steps in three different places.
noice

I sat for a long time trying to find how to set the clock on my 2017 Impreza... turns out there's apparently no menu setting for this, it just sets the clock automatically when you connect your smartphone. I know it's unlikely that someone wouldn't have one, but what if you didn't? Weird.

You can set it to manual mode, as well. But yeah, the default is auto, which means GPS if you have a Nav system (is it 2007?), and smartphone if you don't.

The easiest to set clock I've ever seen was the analog clock in my parent's Infiniti. A little knob next to it to turn, same as 1970s cars. Problem was, you had to look at the clock for about 3 beats to see the time. The hands were narrow, and had similar thickness and length. Looked luxury, but a bit of a bitch to tell time. When you're going down a highway, 3 beats is a probably a few hundred feet. A better designed clock, or just a damn digital, would be a single beat.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 10:50 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 22:16:
Armengar wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 15:09:
my ford converse plus is fine. easy to navigate and use. the reversing camera screen is integrated into the rear view mirror so you get an overlay in the corner. bluetooth just works and the speech input is a bit quirky but works for fiddly things such as setting temperatures. it doesnt always get the phone book entries correct so i wouldn't trust it to dial. the two dpads on the steering wheel are in a good place. cruise control and adaptive distance cruise are on separate thumb buttons. setting the clock is menu,clock,set then up/down/left/right.

overall it just works and helps rather than be a hindrance.

It's that way in most cars too, but that playlist thing with music always starting at A... and then completing it before shuffle triggers and no volume control before the car is "booted" seem very widespread.

I say, and have the same "feature" on my PC. My remote control for my sound system died eons ago, I control it entirely with my keyboard now which obviously only works after boot. So I disabled boot sounds, and pay attention on shut-down, heh.

LOL I have a ford to and the USB Always Start at A or the other play options is maddening. They didn't think of a shuffle? How is that not a standard? LOL, that you brought it up, overall their system is OK to navigate, but this.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 10:29  Blue 

Setting the clock in the 2018 Subaru Outback requires 19 steps in three different places.
noice

I sat for a long time trying to find how to set the clock on my 2017 Impreza... turns out there's apparently no menu setting for this, it just sets the clock automatically when you connect your smartphone. I know it's unlikely that someone wouldn't have one, but what if you didn't? Weird.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 10:10 Peter M. Smith

noice

I'm a fan of setting the clock on my Honda Odyssey. "Enable GPS clock updates" or some nonsense like that. Set it, forget it.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 08:38 Ozmodan

I got to test drive the Tesla model 3, a friend managed to acquire one. There is no dashboard, just the touch screen and if you are caught in a big rain storm you are screwed. Driving that car is worse than texting. Musk needs to hire some engineers who understand how people interact with a car without wrecking it.  

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 22:16 eRe4s3r

Armengar wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 15:09:
my ford converse plus is fine. easy to navigate and use. the reversing camera screen is integrated into the rear view mirror so you get an overlay in the corner. bluetooth just works and the speech input is a bit quirky but works for fiddly things such as setting temperatures. it doesnt always get the phone book entries correct so i wouldn't trust it to dial. the two dpads on the steering wheel are in a good place. cruise control and adaptive distance cruise are on separate thumb buttons. setting the clock is menu,clock,set then up/down/left/right.

It's that way in most cars too, but that playlist thing with music always starting at A... and then completing it before shuffle triggers and no volume control before the car is "booted" seem very widespread.

I say, and have the same "feature" on my PC. My remote control for my sound system died eons ago, I control it entirely with my keyboard now which obviously only works after boot. So I disabled boot sounds, and pay attention on shut-down, heh.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 21:41 Cutter

I'm going to test drive the Hyundai Kona in a week or two. It has a HUD on the windscreen. I'm actually really curious to see how that'll work.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 15:09 Armengar

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 13:17 RedEye9

noice

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo