Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

A Way Out Sells 1M

Hazelight Studios Tweets about the sales success of A Way Out, saying the prison break game has now sold over one million copies on all platforms. Kotaku says this already exceeds publisher projections for the project, saying a leaked marketing document discovered last year showed Electronic Arts expected the game to sell an oddly specific grand total of 894,000 copies. They note a warning that EA would "need to watch out for controversy" surrounding game director Josef Fares, but it's not like he's running around throwing shade at dead people or anything.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 12:21 ForgedReality

Slick wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 07:58:
Apparently, EA doesn't even make money from this. Yes, you read that right. They recoup all the development costs and then everything after that goes straight to the developer.

EA is the publisher. How would they have development costs?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 09:55 RedEye9

Apparently, EA doesn't even make money from this. Yes, you read that right. They recoup all the development costs and then everything after that goes straight to the developer.
source

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/

16. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 09:33 Numinar

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 09:12:

That....that doesn't seem like something EA would ever consider doing. Where's the part where they buy the Indie studio, forcing them to make weak sequels until they're no longer profitable, and then dissolve the studio?

IP/Tech/talent development/multi-project deal? Some kind of tax break? If true I'm sure there is something they get/got.

Brothers was/is amazing and everyone should play it. This game seems a lot rougher but still interesting.

Nice to see something new once in a while.

15. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 09:12 HoSpanky

That....that doesn't seem like something EA would ever consider doing. Where's the part where they buy the Indie studio, forcing them to make weak sequels until they're no longer profitable, and then dissolve the studio?

14. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 07:58 Slick

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

13. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 15, 2018, 00:37 Osc8r

Yeah, considering you only need to buy one copy to play it through with friends/family it was well worth the price.

12. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 22:41 jdreyer

maximus0402 wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 21:57:
Itís only $30 and only 1 person has to own the game, even online.

Did not know that. That's awesome.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

11. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 21:57 maximus0402

I played through this game with several friends in different sessions. I had a blast with this game. Itís not perfect but does a lot of things right. Directing/camera work was superb and good use of going between split screen and Cinematics. Ignore the negative comments. Itís worth it if you like story and coop. Itís only $30 and only 1 person has to own the game, even online. It reminds me at parts of uncharted and heavy rain but with two people  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2018, 21:03 Mordecai Walfish

Ebert did say "video games can never be art", which I agree with this dev is an asinine statement.

he was part of the movie industry though, and that was the prevailing vibe in hollywood throughout the infancy of video games in the 60's-90's, so it is understandable where both sides are coming from, but that statement was made in 2010, and it was obviously just a statement made in angst.

9. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 18:54 Steele Johnson

It proves that fake games still sell haha! If you're going to create a quick time style game, at least make the story good! Maybe the title should be "We got 1 million suckers to buy our interactive crappy movie".  

8. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 18:17 Cutter

Jesus, I hate that expression, throwing shade. Completely asinine expression.

Anything can be art so long as it's intended purpose is political and not commercial. If the intent is to make money, it's decoration, not art.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

7. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 18:02 Mr. Tact

The idea is intriguing, but it appears the execution was less than stellar. The fact it sold a million copies indicates in my mind a market for co-op games -- certainly something I have enjoyed in the past.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 17:30 CJ_Parker

Ludomancer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 17:15:
The writing was like a 12-year olds version of what prison breaks are like, though.

That sounds quite impressive -for EA- actually. Given the fact that ME:A writing was on the level of a 4 year old's version of a space odyssey, well, they have TRIPLED the maturity of their shit. Not bad -for EA-.

5. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 17:15 Ludomancer

I picked the game up after hearing positive things about it. It's an interesting experiment. Essentially a long, multiplayer cinematic, but not much more. The writing was like a 12-year olds version of what prison breaks are like, though.  

4. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 16:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Lol, this thread got negative in a hurry.

I bought Brothers on sale way back, or got it in some bundle or something, I need to play through that at some point.

3. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 16:07 Dev

Ah, it's some sorta EA thing that's only on their platform or some such. Not on steam. That would be why I haven't seen it.  

2. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 15:39 DangerDog

Watched the WAB video, this game - if you can call it that - looks like garbage.  

1. Re: A Way Out Sells 1M Apr 14, 2018, 13:52 jdreyer

Happy to see. These guys are among the most interesting devs out there. Brothers was a revelation. I need to find someone to play it with so I can pick it up.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo