Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 16, 2018, 05:28 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 00:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 21:37:

My problem with this is, at least if racing games are any indication, that human drivers will fuck any transition phase up. ^^

Nah, it won't be any different than it is now. The auto-cars will be just like people, only better.

I'd love to have your optimism I still think human drivers will manage to fuck this up so badly that it'll be way worse before it gets better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 16, 2018, 00:15 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 21:37:

My problem with this is, at least if racing games are any indication, that human drivers will fuck any transition phase up. ^^

Nah, it won't be any different than it is now. The auto-cars will be just like people, only better.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

18. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 21:37 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 13:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 00:46:
But is it ethical to Q&A your autonomous cars in real traffic where real people die? Apparently that discussion hasn't even happened yet in the USA, but maybe it should. Why aren't these cars driving on simulated areas where all possible situations are recreated in safety?

It's ethical because the number of deaths in the USA from human drivers is 40,000 a year. Fully automated cars will reduce that. Humans are terrible drivers, honestly. We get distracted, emotional, sleepy, drunk, etc.

Automated cars have already driven millions of miles in simulated environments and tens of thousands of miles on closed courses. There comes a time where you can no longer improve your system unless it goes to a "production" environment. There will be some deaths from that. But the hardware and software can be improved. Humans cannot.

17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 21:21 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 13:17:
Societies adapt. People will accept it. Few people *like* driving. They do it because they need to get places. Being able to play Candy Crush or catch up on email or nap while commuting to work because the car drives them will be a godsend for most people.

It may not be about people tolerating it and it may be about companies not wanting to take on this liability. Gov't may need to protect for the greater good, as we can see each noteable incident is a social media trial.

16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 13:17 jdreyer

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 02:35:
Old elevators requiring operators wasn't because navigating the elevator through the shaft was difficult, it was because the original interfaces were difficult to operate. Elevators work on one dimension in a controlled space. Comparing how elevators work to cars on public roads isn't anywhere near a fair comparison.
The analogy is apt, even though the order of complexity is an order or two of magnitude greater. That's why elevators were automated decades ago, and cars are just beginning.

People will not tolerate deaths due to a fully autonomous vehicle. You can argue that this is irrational or illogical, and I would agree. People aren't logical or rational and never will be.
Societies adapt. People will accept it. Few people *like* driving. They do it because they need to get places. Being able to play Candy Crush or catch up on email or nap while commuting to work because the car drives them will be a godsend for most people.

15. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 13:09 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 00:46:
But is it ethical to Q&A your autonomous cars in real traffic where real people die? Apparently that discussion hasn't even happened yet in the USA, but maybe it should. Why aren't these cars driving on simulated areas where all possible situations are recreated in safety?

It's ethical because the number of deaths in the USA from human drivers is 40,000 a year. Fully automated cars will reduce that. Humans are terrible drivers, honestly. We get distracted, emotional, sleepy, drunk, etc.

Automated cars have already driven millions of miles in simulated environments and tens of thousands of miles on closed courses. There comes a time where you can no longer improve your system unless it goes to a "production" environment. There will be some deaths from that. But the hardware and software can be improved. Humans cannot.

14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 11:25 HorrorScope

While this gets the headlines, I found it cool that Sweeden has just opened the first electric charging highway. Now compatible electric cars can be charging while they are driving down the road. Smart.

For automatic cars, obviously keep developing but focus and adding to driver assist, just a natural progression here should show us if/when we can remove the driver from the equation.

13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 10:16 Saboth

The main problem with autonomous cars is...humans. If we instantly switched to all autonomous cars, it would probably go fairly smoothly, but we are trying to integrate programs that will follow the law with humans who have no interest in following speed limits, stop signs, bus stop rules, red lights, following distance AND are all playing on their phones. I'd say the best autonomous cars right now are far safer than your average human driver (at least American) driver.

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 07:09 VaranDragon

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 18:20:

Famous last words. There's is so much that go wrong.

Cutter is right for once. Prescient even. Only it wont be the machines that fuck it up. As always, it will be the people who screw up, then blame it on some shitty conspiracy.

AI will change the world, but it wont kill us. We'll kill each other as we always do in the fight to control it and gain power over each other.

11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 02:35 dubfanatic

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 20:58:
We used to have elevators that were human controlled. Now they are all automatic. We don't even think about it. We throw our hands in front of a closing door and expect the elevator to respond accordingly. So to it will be with cars, although not right away of course. It will take a few decades to perfect the software and hardware.

Old elevators requiring operators wasn't because navigating the elevator through the shaft was difficult, it was because the original interfaces were difficult to operate. Elevators work on one dimension in a controlled space. Comparing how elevators work to cars on public roads isn't anywhere near a fair comparison.

People will not tolerate deaths due to a fully autonomous vehicle. You can argue that this is irrational or illogical, and I would agree. People aren't logical or rational and never will be.

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 15, 2018, 00:46 eRe4s3r

We used to have elevators that were human controlled. Now they are all automatic. We don't even think about it. We throw our hands in front of a closing door and expect the elevator to respond accordingly. So to it will be with cars, although not right away of course. It will take a few decades to perfect the software and hardware.

I know why of course, because it costs money...

Well, we'll get autonomous cars, trains, ships and planes soon enough. But yeah, 20 to 30 years sounds about right. That's how long it took for elevators...

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2018, 23:11 Cutter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 21:05:
There's is so much that go wrong.

You sound like a caveman singing the blues =P

I never said I didn't welcome it or want it. Just that it's really naive to think there won't or can't be massive issues with it. Wait until the first vehicle gets hacked and people get killed. It'll happen. Bank on it. Terrorist attacks. Corporations cutting corners. Malfunctioning hardware and/or software, etc. etc. etc.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 21:45 Mr. Tact

I agree with this and I wish there was a mechanism for me to make bets with all those who claim it is right around the corner. I could believe we might see widespread automated trucking with facilities just off interstates within my lifetime. But widespread ability to jump in the car and tell it "take me to the supermarket" with at least the level of confidence I have currently in driving myself? That I have difficulty believing I'll live to see.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 21:06 YourNick

Take a long trip by car while catching up with your favorite shows.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2018, 21:05 Mordecai Walfish

There's is so much that go wrong.

You sound like a caveman singing the blues =P

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 20:58 jdreyer

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 19:34 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 14:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 13:30:
Now Uber will be jealous.
Fully autonomous vehicles are finally here, what could possibly go wrong.
Eventually, almost nothing will go wrong. In the short term, we'll probably see some deaths.

And if they were responsible they would test this technology until the AI is actually there. Currently it isn't. These cars all run on semi-autonomous scripts, that's like driving in a game with AutoHotkey scripts only.

Probably possible, but even if even 1 unexpected thing appears it's a catastrophic shitstorm that's looming

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 18:20 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 14:47:
Eventually, almost nothing will go wrong. In the short term, we'll probably see some deaths.

Famous last words. There's is so much that go wrong.

Welcome to Itchy & Scratchy Land....

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 14:47 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 13:30:

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 14, 2018, 13:30 RedEye9

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo