Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, I've given up trying to pin down whether to expect any more last vestiges of winter, as I won't be surprised if we get snow in July at this rate. But yesterday was warm, and it's beautiful out there today, so I will be thankful for that. Unconfidently, we've made plans to head out to a cookout today, which is at least as reliable an indicator of spring as the first robin sighting. It's certainly about time here. Hope it's nice where you are too.

R.I.P.: Milos Forman Dead: Oscar-Winning Director Was 86.

Outcooked Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Kart Wars.
Link: Vintage Strains - Rich Carlson. Tunes from our Digital Eel buddy.
Science: The danger of seeing cute animals everywhere. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: StarCrafts S6 Ep9 Evolution Complete.
Huge avalanche in Tignes, France.
Dogs can't do this.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2018, 16:24 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 09:52:
Laser surgery is not appropriate for several invasive procedures. Especially something like compartment syndrome that needs non cauterized cuts for drainage (or cutting around organs, arteries, tendons, veins, nerves and bones). They could have just whipped out a magic cast or a Dr. Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy whirring wand and fixed up Mamma's leg better than new.

I will watch a couple more episodes before i pass full judgement but right now it's already 114% better than, shudder, 'The Orville'.

I didn't mean to imply that lasers were the perfect fit for everything, I was just using it as an example of where we are today in terms of medical science versus what the show presents as being present in the future. Nanobots would have been a better futuristic medical tool to fix the problem with the leg.

Secret Sauce:
I was actually kind of annoyed at the "Danger Will Robinson" line because there hadn't been enough development yet to show a bond between Will and the robot. It felt rushed and shoe-horned in instead of being a natural evolution between Will and the robot.

I, too, will watch a couple more episodes because I recognize that it takes a while for a show to get off the ground. These were just glaring missteps that irked me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2018, 09:52 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 23:38:
We can travel to some random yet far point in the galaxy but we're still using laptops, barcodes as access passes, stainless steel surgical tools (even though we're doing surgery with lasers today), and wrist attached cell phones.
I agree with almost everything you say and yes it's family time in space. But if you did not cheer or tear up a little when Mr. Robot said Danger Will Robibson than this show may not be your cuppa.

Laser surgery is not appropriate for several invasive procedures. Especially something like compartment syndrome that needs non cauterized cuts for drainage (or cutting around organs, arteries, tendons, veins, nerves and bones). They could have just whipped out a magic cast or a Dr. Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy whirring wand and fixed up Mamma's leg better than new.

I will watch a couple more episodes before i pass full judgement but right now it's already 114% better than, shudder, 'The Orville'.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2018, 12:19.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2018, 23:38 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 18:30:
Anyone catch Lost in Space yet? Forgot they released it yesterday.

Caught the first episode last night. I was underwhelmed. None of the family members really click and "Dysfunctional family...BUT IN SPAAAAAACE" is a stupid idea. I understand the writers' goal is to have a story arc where they come together as a united front, learn respect and teamwork, overcome hardships blah blah blah blah but that shit has been done to fucking death already. And, while I know it's fiction, a lot of the basic science is laughably bad. Case in point: "Let's use a few grams of unprocessed, impure magnesium and melt a 6" deep hole in the ice to save Generic Family Kid #2 AND WE'LL TOTALLY NOT CAUSE ANY SORT OF BURNS WHATSOEVER!"

With a show like The Expanse just killing it in terms of a great story and fairly decent and accurate representation of science, there's just no excuse for it. Other things don't make a lot of sense either. We can travel to some random yet far point in the galaxy but we're still using laptops, barcodes as access passes, stainless steel surgical tools (even though we're doing surgery with lasers today), and wrist attached cell phones. Oh, yeah, and apparently quartermasters and their skills have gone fucking extinct in the future because securing a box against hard shock and vibe (you know, the stuff we do TODAY) is just flat out not possible.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2018, 18:30 Cutter

Freakin ice storm raging up here atm. Sigh. Looks like Thorsday may finally see double digits...maybe, if we're lucky. However they expect the last week of April and May onward to be above seasonal norms so if that's true I'll buy that for a dollar!

So long, Milos. Haven't seen Cuckoo's Nest in forever. Need to give that a watch. Same with Amadaeus and Ragtime.

Anyone catch Lost in Space yet? Forgot they released it yesterday.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2018, 14:47 Mr. Tact

Looks like tomorrow and Monday might be the last days this spring with highs under 50 in Central Illinois. Long overdue...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo