Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New BioShock Rumored

How The Makers Of Mafia III Lost Their Way on Kotaku is a story about the struggles of developer Hangar 13 which includes word that a new BioShock game is secretly in development. This is mentioned in a few places, starting with word that some of Hangar 13's staff "moved to the top-secret studio next door to work on an unannounced new BioShock game." Here's a bit more on this hush-hush project:

In the midst of all this confusion, some employees of Hangar 13 couldn’t help but look with envy at their neighbors. Next door, a small group of people were working on a project code-named Parkside, quietly recruiting from across the video game industry for a game so secret, they wouldn’t even tell their colleagues at Hangar 13 about it. Word got out, though, that it was in fact a new game in one of the most interesting shooter franchises of the past decade: BioShock.

“If anyone from Hangar 13 tried to strike up a conversation with them, they’d say, ‘Oh, we can’t really talk about it,’” said one person familiar with the studio. “It was all very tight-lipped.”

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 15:05 Quinn

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 13:39:
Beamer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 13:05:
I don't disagree with the criticisms of Infinite, and fighting all the mecha Washingtons grew very tedious, but overall I really loved it.

Great world building and story, even if the gameplay was subpar.

I agree with you two. I was surprised to read so much bad shit about Infinite in here. I think Infinite was a beautiful game wjth a very engaging story and an amazingly accurate art direction. Ths gameplay was the stuff we were used to, just ironed out some more.

You guys are so jaded for hating on Infinite

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 13:39 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 13:05:
I don't disagree with the criticisms of Infinite, and fighting all the mecha Washingtons grew very tedious, but overall I really loved it.

Great world building and story, even if the gameplay was subpar.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

22. Re: Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 13:05 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 12:14 Frijoles

Kxmode wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 05:24:
I would prefer Bioshock Fallout.

Here's my Kickstarter money!

20. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 10:22 El Pit

rawbelly wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 08:38:
You know they can't help themselves...

Bioshock: Battle Royale

Heard it here first.

I raise you Bioshock: Battle Royale - Maximum Loot Crate Edition!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

19. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 08:38 rawbelly

You know they can't help themselves...

Bioshock: Battle Royale

Heard it here first.

18. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 07:39 CJ_Parker

I only played the free demo of Mafia III but quite liked it for its unique setting, characters, atmosphere and so on. It was rather bland from a gameplay perspective though so I've been waiting for a $9.99 sale for the GOTY but that hasn't happened yet. Oh well... one day.

Re BioShock I'm definitely a fan of part 1 and 2 but could never really get into Infinite. The city in the sky just seemed too artificial and implausible. I don't know... it just felt off and I never got sucked into the setting as much as with Rapture. The gameplay also felt a little consolized. A solid 'meh' overall.

So, I'm not even sure what BioShock stands for anymore. Another "immersive sim"? OK. I can't say I'm overly interested until they reveal the setting. That's what makes or breaks these games for me. They need to nail the setting and the atmosphere for an immersive sim to even begin to be immersive in the first place...

17. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 07:29 Nimh

Cutter wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 21:04:
Well they managed to ruin one game that should have been easy. I suppose they can ruin a new Bioshock game just as easily too.

Bioshock was ruined two games ago.. they are just adding to the pile now.

16. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 06:11 VaranDragon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 03:34:
I'd like to see a Bioshock game where you play as a beautiful woman in a patriarchy. Instead of shooting people, you have to use your feminine wiles to seduce them. You have a wide variety of various sexual techniques in order to achieve this, but the trick is figuring out which one works on what type of enemy. Working title:

Bioshock Intimate

This actually sounds...really interesting. Would never get greenlit or released though. The right wing nutters would hate it, the feminists would hate it. In today's politically "sensitive" first world cultures shit like that don't fly. Which is unfortunate as I feel creativity or "art" if you wanna call it that, in all genres is in decline...

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2018, 06:29.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2018, 05:24 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 03:34:
Bioshock Intimate

I would prefer Bioshock Fallout. As the name implies, a unique setting in a metropolis wasteland loaded with unique nuclear-powered power-ups that can only be used for brief periods of time due to radiation poisoning. Gameplay wise, exposure to too much radiation poisoning will kill. As a medical doctor, you use your vast knowledge of medicines to keep yourself healthy, but the drugs you find aren't perfect, and they can scar in numerous ways including making you a mindless, organic automaton. You can risk splicing medicines together to create more potent medications, but at a potential cost. However, nuke power-ups are required to get through the wasteland and survive, so there's always a balance between staying POWERFUL and being WEAK and between LIFE through strength and survival and DEATH from sickness and hostiles.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2018, 23:22.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

14. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 03:34 jdreyer

I'd like to see a Bioshock game where you play as a beautiful woman in a patriarchy. Instead of shooting people, you have to use your feminine wiles to seduce them. You have a wide variety of various sexual techniques in order to achieve this, but the trick is figuring out which one works on what type of enemy. Working title:

Bioshock Intimate

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

13. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 02:43 DangerDog

That Rhapsody game went from sounding cool to crap in the span of just a couple of paragraphs.

I don't have much hope in their BioShock game being any good.

12. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 02:27 jacobvandy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 01:18:
but when you compare it to a behemoth like the GTA series you see some holes that they probably simply couldn't afford to fill.

That's why they fail. The first Mafia was different enough to stand on its own, but when you go from GTA-like to GTA clone, you're inviting expectations you can't possibly live up to.

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 14, 2018, 01:33 Nathos

The new BioShock game will have a plot where you are receive a message from your imprisoned daughter, begging you to put away your alcoholic self destruction not to just save not her, but all of the multi-dimensional realities from the obsessed, tyrannical, charismatic strongman "you" that made all the wrong choices.

The plot twist: You're actually the hero. The tyrant wasn't you all along, it was actually some other guy, you were just a drunken patsy that was supposed to be a diversion for the REAL strike team, but you somehow managed to succeed. Also, the woman that set all this into motion wasn't your daughter.

10. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 01:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 23:50:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 21:02:
The Mafia 3 postmortem is far more interesting than the simple and unsurprising news that there will be another BioShock.
I heard Mafia 3 was good. What did people not like about it?

Mafia 3 was okay. The city is gorgeous, the driving is arcade-ish(I found it fun, but some people wanted more sim style driving), the gunplay isn't bad. The weapon selection is a little weak, and inventory of weapons is extremely limited, even for a console game. Why have a dozen guns if you are going to limit it to two?(if memory serves).

The real problem was that the game got repetitive and a bit grindy, so even if you liked the gameplay style at first, you would get burned out by the end. I played through and finished it 100%, but the missions are a lot of stale rehashes after the first area or two.

I found the writing to be fairly interesting, at least in terms of setting and atmosphere. Most of the characters were more caricature than not, overly melodramatic and/or overly stereotypical. Voice acting was reasonably good to very good, even the background dialogue.

All in all, it felt like they had some extremely grand plans for Mafia 3 at first, and had to dial it back a bit and basically copy missions to fill out the game later. I'll read the postmortem but I'm guessing they spent a ton of resources on the city itself(which is great) and ended up cutting corners elsewhere. They had car customization, various music stations with real music and actor dialogue, tons of little and not so little content items that really were pretty well done, but when you compare it to a behemoth like the GTA series you see some holes that they probably simply couldn't afford to fill.

tl/dr Mafia was definitely worth it on sale, I think people forget how lame running out of gas was in Mafia 1. Side note: Stealth in Mafia 3 is crazily overpowered.

9. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 14, 2018, 00:45 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 23:50:
The Mafia 3 postmortem is far more interesting than the simple and unsurprising news that there will be another BioShock.

I dunno, why are you asking me? lol

8. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 13, 2018, 23:50 jdreyer

7. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 13, 2018, 23:49 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 23:19:
Red886 wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 23:17:
those responsible for Bioshock trilogy are no longer around

The article implies some of the developers of BioShock 2 are on the team.
There are people who prefer BS2 over the ones in which Ken was heavily involved.

6. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 13, 2018, 23:19 Sepharo

Red886 wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 23:17:

The article implies some of the developers of BioShock 2 are on the team.

5. Re: New BioShock Rumored Apr 13, 2018, 23:17 Red886

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo