Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month

A post on Major Nelson's Blog from Rare outlines plans to bring some desperately needed new content to Sea of Thieves to give the game's pirates more to do. They promise a series of free updates starting next month with the release of The Hungering Deep, which will bring a hangry new AI threat to the high seas. Here's a bit:

Our first content update, The Hungering Deep, will release in May and bring with it a new AI threat to the world. Crews will have to work together to discover and defeat this threat as part of a unique event. We will also be introducing a number of new mechanics to assist players on this adventure, and there will be unique rewards that players can earn as part of this event. Beyond this, we will begin our weekly events programme during May, where we introduce new mechanics and give players fun new ways to play with weekly events and rewards.

In the summer months, we’ll debut two more content updates with Cursed Sails, which will include a new ship type, and Forsaken Shores, which will introduce players to a perilous new part of the world to explore. Similarly to The Hungering Deep, both of these updates will also include new gameplay mechanics for players, new AI threats to challenge and new unique rewards to claim.

As we’ve always said, we never wanted to do anything to separate our players, so we’re pleased to confirm that all content updates will be available to all our players, at no additional cost.

With Sea of Thieves being a game that grows and evolves, we’ll be listening to you, our community, throughout. As such, we’ll always be looking at whether our current plans are meeting your needs. Based on feedback since launch, we have changed the priorities for both Pets and Ship Captaincy which we had previously announced as things we would look to add in the few months after launch. These are on the back burner for now whilst we add to the game in other areas. Expect our plans to continue to be fluid, but always with the goals listed above as our guiding principles.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2018, 23:16 Mordecai Walfish

Retired wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 07:30:
$60 for a game with almost zero content. *slowclap

Any bets on if "updates" = pay for DLC?

As stated above, all updates will be provided at no cost to prevent segmentation of the playerbase.

the only thing they are planning on charging for in the future is pets you can get that are purely cosmetic. they pushed back releasing these to focus on core content, or at least to appear to be focused on content first.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month Apr 14, 2018, 11:50 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 05:06:
I always thought content is more important than game play.

Proof that people are different. Think of a game you don't like to play, something that garnered the hate like Sims in its day. Now think of it having unlimited content. Does that sound enticing to you?

4. Re: New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month Apr 14, 2018, 07:30 Retired

$60 for a game with almost zero content. *slowclap

Any bets on if "updates" = pay for DLC?

3. Re: New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month Apr 14, 2018, 05:06 Kxmode

I always thought content is more important than game play. So is the game play at least fun?  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

2. Re: New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month Apr 14, 2018, 03:17 Numinar

Prez wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 21:26:
That's more like it. I was shocked at their response to the outcry from unhappy customers - basically that there was a plan to soon have a plan - indicating that at least someone at Rare (or maybe Microsoft?) genuinely thought the game was fine as is at launch and were surprised at the discontent, which is simply astounding.

I imagine they had post-release support planned but the depth of discontent and negative press might have forced them to re-evaluate and prioritize to get the most useful stuff out ASAP. A new public event makes the most sense as the one they have is the source of most of the best shenanigans I continue to have most nights.

Although maybe your story is the correct one, or something else was going on. I doubt they had nothing planned though. It's not like they have another announced game they have to put all their devs on immediately.

1. Re: New Sea of Thieves Content Next Month Apr 13, 2018, 21:26 Prez

That's more like it. I was shocked at their response to the outcry from unhappy customers - basically that there was a plan to soon have a plan - indicating that at least someone at Rare (or maybe Microsoft?) genuinely thought the game was fine as is at launch and were surprised at the discontent, which is simply astounding.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo