Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled

Re-Logic announces the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld (thanks DSOGaming). They are quite apologetic about the news, and they conclude with word on what they've learned and where they are going from here:
So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.
  • Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.
  • Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.
  • Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.
  • This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled
Apr 14, 2018, 07:30
Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled Apr 14, 2018, 07:30
Apr 14, 2018, 07:30

Dang. Love the game, would love to see more. I had moved on to Starbound though....

Apr 14, 2018, 06:27
Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled Apr 14, 2018, 06:27
Apr 14, 2018, 06:27

It's as if a million pickaxes were suddenly silent.

I wish the guys the best of luck for any of their projects. They know how please their community and just keep on giving. Hats off to them

Apr 14, 2018, 02:50
Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled Apr 14, 2018, 02:50
Apr 14, 2018, 02:50

Yeah, I'm starving for new Terraria, too, but unless something changed drastically since last I checked, Otherworld was not the sequel. It was more of a standalone expansion sort of thing, completely separate from Terraria 2, which has been in the works for 5 years or so. From what I can tell, development on that slowed down after they realized the outsourcing wasn't going so well and the main guy(s) had to try and salvage Otherworld... At least now that the side project has been put out of its misery, hopefully they're full-steam ahead on 2.

Apr 14, 2018, 02:09
Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled Apr 14, 2018, 02:09
Apr 14, 2018, 02:09

Yeah this is a bummer. Terraria was never a game I thought I'd play but my nephew got me into it and I was kind of hooked. He still asks to play it even though we've pretty much don everything.

Apr 13, 2018, 23:27
Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled Apr 13, 2018, 23:27
Apr 13, 2018, 23:27

Damn, I was rather looking forward to this one. Can't say I'm terribly surprised, though; always had the impression development on this game was a little on the strained side.

Apr 13, 2018, 21:14
Re: Terraria: Otherworld Cancelled Apr 13, 2018, 21:14
Apr 13, 2018, 21:14

I look forward to seeing what they eventually come up with. Spent a lot of time in Terraria...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older