Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced

AMD announces their second generation Ryzen CPUs, saying they are already accepting preorders for the new processors, and they offer the following details on why you may be interested:

One year after the first release of the award-winning AMD Ryzen processors, AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) announced pre-orders begin today worldwide for the eagerly anticipated 2nd generation AMD Ryzen desktop processors, with disruptive levels of compute performance at each of four price points1. Delivering high-performance computing and innovative new features, 2nd gen Ryzen desktop processors are built to create faster and smoother computing experiences for PC gamers, creators, and hardware enthusiasts.

“Second generation Ryzen desktop processors take everything that made the original Ryzen so groundbreaking and makes it better – great performance combined with advanced technology to deliver an amazing experience for the most demanding users,” said Jim Anderson, senior vice president and general manager, Computing and Graphics Group, AMD.

2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Desktop Processors Lineup
This 2nd gen Ryzen desktop processor lineup includes two 8-core, 16-thread models and two 6-core, 12-thread models, all offering major upgrades and advanced AMD SenseMI technology2.

MODEL CORES THREADS CLOCK SPEED MAX BOOST/BASE (GHZ) Smart Prefetch Cache TDP COOLER SEP (USD) AVAILABILITY
Ryzen™ 7 2700X 8 16 4.3/3.7 20MB 105W Wraith Prism (LED) $ 329 Apr 19
Ryzen™ 7 2700 8 16 4.1/3.2 20MB 65W Wraith Spire (LED) $ 299 Apr 19
Ryzen™ 5 2600X 6 12 4.2/3.6 19MB 95W Wraith Spire $ 229 Apr 19
Ryzen™ 5 2600 6 12 3.9/3.4 19MB 65W Wraith Stealth $ 199 Apr 19

For the first time, the entire line of 2nd gen Ryzen desktop processors include a world class AMD Wraith cooler inside the retail box. The AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU PIB includes the new Wraith Prism cooler, which offers improved thermal performance over the Wraith Max, a more compatible fan profile, and enhanced lighting capabilities with per-RGB controls.

All 2nd gen AMD Ryzen desktop processors are supported by the new AMD X470 chipset, the most advanced, optimized, and efficient chipset to-date for socket AM4. This chipset comes with a free download of the new AMD StoreMI storage acceleration technology to combine the speed of an SSD with the capacity of a hard drive into a single, fast, easy-to-manage drive.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 16:12 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 00:01:

gpu prices are coming down already, close to msrp in some places now.

edit: 1060 3gb back down @ $200

Sill not worth the money, IMO. You can get a 1050ti/4gb (like mine) for less and have roughly the same performance with an extra gb of texture RAM, which is critical nowadays. More speed doesn't help when you're constricted to 3gb. You'll bottleneck well before the speed/fps limit of the card, getting you more micro-stutter than you can shake a stick VIVE Motion Controller at. Before I got my 1050ti/4gb, last year, I had an HD7850/1gb and knew that I needed something with more RAM to fit those textures in. I could live with having a lower FPS if it meant less microstutter. Games like GTA5, Far Cry 4, Dying Light and The Witcher3 are a lot more sensitive to texture RAM limits in my experience. So when I had the opportunity to get a 960/2gb and then a 1060/3gb, I passed on both. Sure, they were 'faster' outright but the 1050ti had just come out and was looking really good at $165 for 4gb. So that's what I grabbed and I haven't been disappointed.

Just some handy advice from ol' Uncle Rigs...

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 00:01 Mordecai Walfish

gpu prices are coming down already, close to msrp in some places now.

edit: 1060 3gb back down @ $200

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2018, 09:04.

"What do I want? I don't really know. Most of the time I ignore my quest and walk into the homes of others, riffling through people's shelves... oooh, like those over there!"

38. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 14, 2018, 20:13 RedEye9

On Sale
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-8600K-Processor-Unlocked-BX80684i58600K/dp/B0759FKH8K

$215
Intel Core i5-8600K 6 Cores up to 4.3GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 95W

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

37. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 14, 2018, 17:47 RedEye9

Dev wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 15:59:
Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 17:38:
10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby.

I knew it was going to be ram. 90% of time the limiting factor for VM's is ram

14gb vs 128gb
DOH, I didn't even notice the 14 gb. lol

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

36. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 14, 2018, 17:44 Burrito of Peace

Dev wrote on Apr 14, 2018, 15:59:
Timmeh wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 10:58:
The fact they didn't include factory coolers from the git go is beyond stupid.
Actually, I think Intel's decision to go with thermal interface pad material on $1000 enthusiast CPU's (what do they call them now, HED or something?), rather than spending 5 cents on thermal grease, is what's beyond stupid. Why the frack should anyone have to relid a CPU?

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 19:12:
10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby.

It's a Xeon E5-2690 v2 with 128GB of DDR3. It was specifically built so that I can use it to fully emulate stacked clusters before I rolled them out in to production. I also happen to game on it.

14gb vs 128gb

It also doesn't hurt that it's a decacore with 20 threads at 3.6Ghz, either.

35. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 14, 2018, 15:59 Dev

Actually, I think Intel's decision to go with thermal interface pad material on $1000 enthusiast CPU's (what do they call them now, HED or something?), rather than spending 5 cents on thermal grease, is what's beyond stupid. Why the frack should anyone have to relid a CPU?

It's a Xeon E5-2690 v2 with 128GB of DDR3. It was specifically built so that I can use it to fully emulate stacked clusters before I rolled them out in to production. I also happen to game on it.

14gb vs 128gb

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2018, 11:21 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 23:27:
10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby. Then again, as RedEye can attest, my drives are just tad bit fragmented (and full), so maybe that's why. I guess it's time I did some spring cleaning on the old girl. Eight years old now and still goin' as my daily driver. I really can't complain, it's been the best system I ever built. *shrugs*

I got a stacked cluster you can "roll out into production" right over here, buddy.

Giggle

=-Rigs-=

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 13, 2018, 23:27 Mordecai Walfish

10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby. Then again, as RedEye can attest, my drives are just tad bit fragmented (and full), so maybe that's why. I guess it's time I did some spring cleaning on the old girl. Eight years old now and still goin' as my daily driver. I really can't complain, it's been the best system I ever built. *shrugs*

I got a stacked cluster you can "roll out into production" right over here, buddy.

"What do I want? I don't really know. Most of the time I ignore my quest and walk into the homes of others, riffling through people's shelves... oooh, like those over there!"

32. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 20:20 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 19:06:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:06:
It's something like $239 cheaper than what I paid for my 8700k + Z370 motherboard to get a 2600x + X470 board.

Pretty impressive especially if with the uplift in performance even if only small.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:28:
Save your money and wait for when gpu's and ram come back down in price from the ridiculous levels they are at now. 1180ti should be out by then

Unfortunately it seems as though Cryptos were back on the rise (or at least were yesterday) so we may see another drought with marked up cards. Not to mention the fact that next-gen cards will likely fetch a 20% premium right out the gate.

It's not over yet.

Rumor is that the next version of Nvidia gpu's will not be suitable for mining.

Whoever came up with that rumor must have less than zero of a clue about cryptomining.

The much more credible rumor is that nVidia might release a dedicated mining GPU in addition to their gaming GPU product line.
But GPUs are per definition always very suitable for mining simply due to how cryptocurrency algorithms work.

Anyway, AMD and nVidia are currently losing mining market share to dedicated more efficient mining asics so there is hope that the focus of miners might shift away from GPUs.

31. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 19:12 Burrito of Peace

30. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 19:06 Ozmodan

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:06:
It's something like $239 cheaper than what I paid for my 8700k + Z370 motherboard to get a 2600x + X470 board.

Pretty impressive especially if with the uplift in performance even if only small.

Save your money and wait for when gpu's and ram come back down in price from the ridiculous levels they are at now. 1180ti should be out by then

Unfortunately it seems as though Cryptos were back on the rise (or at least were yesterday) so we may see another drought with marked up cards. Not to mention the fact that next-gen cards will likely fetch a 20% premium right out the gate.

It's not over yet.

Rumor is that the next version of Nvidia gpu's will not be suitable for mining.

29. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 18:55 eRe4s3r

What the hell is AMD SenseMI you ask?

AMD's SenseMI technology is a set of learning and adapting features that help the AMD Ryzen™ processor customize its performance to you and your applications, thanks to true machine intelligence (MI).

So... my CPU spies on me?

28. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 18:54 Rigs

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 18:21:
GUYZ I NLY GET 12 FPS ON LOW IN SKRYIM HALP!

Did you install the latest Detonator drivers?! And don't forget to update DirectX 5! Maybe rebooting into MS-DOS mode will help instead of doing it through Windows98. I hear 98SE takes a lot of resources...think I'll stick with 95SR2 for now, even tho I can't use my new printer... Wacko

=-Rigs-=

27. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 18:21 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:37:
In fact, my whole PC is whisper silent.

So, you running integrated graphics or what? Why no GPU noise?

You don't hear these fans until they're running at like 65%, which they basically never do. Even at 50% they're still absolutely dead silent. Coupled with the dead silent Wraith, dead silent fans in my case, and sound-deadening materials in my case, and my PC simply makes no noise that's audible when just browsing etc. Once I play games I'm sure it starts making a tiny bit of noise, but nothing that's ever audible over normal game sounds. If I mute my sound during a game for some reason, I still have to kinda strain to hear my PC. It's glorious.

1badmf wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 17:39:
creston running integrated graphics this whole time; did not know about graphics cards XD

GUYZ I NLY GET 12 FPS ON LOW IN SKRYIM HALP!

26. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 17:39 1badmf

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:15:
Don't confuse the Wraith cooler with the garbage that Intel ships with their processors. The Wraith cooler is fucking awesome. It easily overclocks my 1700 from 3Ghz to 3.8Ghz and is still just dead SILENT at that point.
Good to know. Makes the AMDs even more cost competitive.

creston running integrated graphics this whole time; did not know about graphics cards XD

25. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 17:38 Rigs

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:46:
I would surmise effective thermal management. My "old" machine with a 970 in it is also whisper quiet under most cases when gaming and it is sitting in a rack right next to me. Granted, I am not using a "PC" case per se. I'm using a 4U rackmount chassis with three fans in front, three fans midplane, and four fans at the rear which provide excellent axial flow. However, PC cases have come a long, long way since the old Antec pedestal chassis and desktop pizza boxes in terms of effectively moving cold air in and hot air out. Even when I have 10 VMs running and working, the stock cooler doesn't spin up to even the middle of its RPM range.

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:44:
I let an arbitrary things like 9000 dollars for an extra cooler stop me.

Seems legit. Fair enough.

=-Rigs-=

24. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 16:55 Timmeh

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:20:
You mean like when iNtel does not include 'beyond stupid' factory coolers? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005940/processors.html

Exactly like that....

23. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 16:46 Burrito of Peace

I would surmise effective thermal management. My "old" machine with a 970 in it is also whisper quiet under most cases when gaming and it is sitting in a rack right next to me. Granted, I am not using a "PC" case per se. I'm using a 4U rackmount chassis with three fans in front, three fans midplane, and four fans at the rear which provide excellent axial flow. However, PC cases have come a long, long way since the old Antec pedestal chassis and desktop pizza boxes in terms of effectively moving cold air in and hot air out. Even when I have 10 VMs running and working, the stock cooler doesn't spin up to even the middle of its RPM range.

22. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 16:37 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:15:
Don't confuse the Wraith cooler with the garbage that Intel ships with their processors. The Wraith cooler is fucking awesome. It easily overclocks my 1700 from 3Ghz to 3.8Ghz and is still just dead SILENT at that point.
Good to know. Makes the AMDs even more cost competitive.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

21. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 16:06 Wallshadows

It's not over yet.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo