Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend

A free weekend is now underway in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands on Steam, offering the promised chance to sample this tactical shooter for Windows. Word is: "Play for Free from April 12th to April 15th. Your progression is saved if you decide to buy the game later!" This includes the chance to team up with Sam Fisher in the recently announced Splinter Cell Mission along with the base game, described here:
Create a team with up to 3 friends in Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Wildlands and enjoy the ultimate military shooter experience set in a massive, dangerous, and responsive open world. You can also play PVP in 4v4 class-based, tactical fights: Ghost War.

TAKE DOWN THE CARTEL
In a near future, Bolivia has fallen into the hands of Santa Blanca, a merciless drug cartel who spread injustice and violence. Their objective: to create the biggest Narco-State in history.

BECOME A GHOST
Create and fully customize your Ghost, weapons, and gear. Enjoy a total freedom of playstyle. Lead your team and take down the cartel, either solo or with up to three friends.

EXPLORE BOLIVIA
Journey through Ubisoft's largest action-adventure open world. Discover the stunning diverse landscapes of the Wildlands both on and off road, in the air, on land, and at sea with over 60 different vehicles.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Game Reviews
Apr 13, 2018, 14:49
Re: Game Reviews Apr 13, 2018, 14:49
Apr 13, 2018, 14:49

peteham wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:35:
Map is huge, and there are enough points of interest that doing 100% is surely going to take 200 hours.

Nah. It's more like 100 hours at a casual pace with lots of messing around and exploring (like I did) or if you really focused on ticking off the POIs then you could probably do 100% in about 80-ish hours.

I have nearly 120 hours total in Wildlands. Main campaign + map = 100% finished and Fallen Ghosts about 50% finished.
This total time includes almost 10 hours in coop which was not overly productive in terms of clearing the map and I took my sweet time with the main game.

It would only take anywhere close to 200 hours if you would crawl all over the map Wink .

Re: Game Reviews
Apr 13, 2018, 14:35
Re: Game Reviews Apr 13, 2018, 14:35
Apr 13, 2018, 14:35

My two cents: Only worth spending time on for casual/relaxing co-op with friends. Nice excuse for getting together on Discord for a few evenings of low stress gaming. Personally couldn't play five minutes of this game solo, but YMMV.

Map is huge, and there are enough points of interest that doing 100% is surely going to take 200 hours. Sadly, it's also a generic box-ticking fest that stands out even for Ubisoft. The gameplay isn't particularly good; guns don't have any "weight" or "crunch", movement feels odd, and the driving physics are *atrociously* bad. Do yourself a favor and unlock helicopter-summoning ASAP, as flying is the least terrible way of getting around without fast travelling. Leveling up/upgrading is fairly inconsequential, and the whole game is the same 5'ish mission types repeated over and over and over and over and over. For co-op, though, we did find the lack of leveling/progression to be more of an advantage than anything, as we had no problem playing together despite having different schedules completion percentages over time (most of the weapon unlock stuff is about getting more options, not necessarily power.)

Haven't tried the PvP, so can't comment on it.

Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend
Apr 13, 2018, 14:25
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 13, 2018, 14:25
Apr 13, 2018, 14:25

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 22:40:
Anybody on Blues like this game at all? I'm tempted to try it, but it's like 80 gigs to download, so I'd need to clear out some stuff first.

If you do not care about the Ghost War PvP mode and simply ignore their shitty as fuck business model with the worst season passes in the history of gaming then it is a lot of fun.
I own the base game and the Fallen Ghosts expansion. I only care about single player and coop.

I got a good 100 hours out of the main campaign in mostly single player (and a little coop after finishing the main story) until the map was 100% complete.
Fallen Ghosts is more of the same with some tweaks (e.g. new enemy types) and I'm about 50% through that one.

The best part of the game is the map of Bolivia. It is absolutely stunning from the Andes mountain tops all the way to the foggy, dense lowland jungle forests.
The map is totally amazing and it is tons of fun to explore while making up strategies how to best approach an objective like a cartel boss' villa sitting on a rocky island or high up on a mountain top.

What kind of sucks is the progression system. If you want to play a stealthy Ghost then your selection of weapons is quite limited. You will pretty much use only two or three guns (assault + sniper rifle) throughout the entire game.

Another thing that can be a bit irritating is the unbalanced AI. It is either dumb as a brick or super-aggressive and deadly, shooting you straight in the face with an Uzi from 300 yards. Not much in between.

Well, free weekend is free weekend. They have had a few of those already and will likely have more. If anyone is interested then just demo the game now or later. The game is awesome, especially if you like open world freestyle stealth gameplay.

Apr 13, 2018, 11:32
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 13, 2018, 11:32
Apr 13, 2018, 11:32

As everyone else pretty much said..The co-op is awesome on this game...
I love Fortnite..keeps thy little kids out of thy good games...

Apr 13, 2018, 10:37
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 13, 2018, 10:37
Apr 13, 2018, 10:37

Anybody on Blues like this game at all? I'm tempted to try it, but it's like 80 gigs to download, so I'd need to clear out some stuff first.

I play with my GF. We love it, although we like the Division slightly more.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Apr 13, 2018, 10:36
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 13, 2018, 10:36
Apr 13, 2018, 10:36

Wildlands shines in co-op. It's very bare-bones for single player but when you get a group of your buds together it's good fun.

Apr 13, 2018, 04:47
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 13, 2018, 04:47
Apr 13, 2018, 04:47

Fun game in co-op, but the missions lack depth and variety.

I'd take FC5 over this.

Apr 13, 2018, 02:40
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 13, 2018, 02:40
Apr 13, 2018, 02:40

Veinman wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 23:26:
It's pretty fun. It is two different experiences playing solo vs. co-op. Missions are harder in co-op in general because your AI buddies aren't present and they are usually killing machines. But they are stupid, so that can be an issue when playing solo. I recommend ignoring all dialog and turning off the radio in any car. All of the writing is bottom of the barrel.

What Veinman said. It's a very solid game, and I hate to admit one of the games I'd love to see a Battle Royal added to.

Apr 12, 2018, 23:26
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 12, 2018, 23:26
Apr 12, 2018, 23:26

It's pretty fun. It is two different experiences playing solo vs. co-op. Missions are harder in co-op in general because your AI buddies aren't present and they are usually killing machines. But they are stupid, so that can be an issue when playing solo. I recommend ignoring all dialog and turning off the radio in any car. All of the writing is bottom of the barrel.

Apr 12, 2018, 22:40
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend Apr 12, 2018, 22:40
Apr 12, 2018, 22:40

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older