Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Night owls have a 10% increase in mortality risk, study says. Now this is weird, I always thought we all share the same 100% mortality rate. I guess there really is a good reason to try and get more sleep after all. The more you know!

Immortal Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Insurgents.
Stories: The strange story of Australia’s wild camel. Thanks RedEye9.
Officers fired after claiming mice ate half a ton of marijuana. Officer Cheech, can you confirm Officer Chong's story?
Science: Could post-surgery healing process trigger cancer spread in breast cancer?
Media: This 11-Year-Old Racing Prodigy Is Breaking Records.
1954 How to dial your phone by Bell System.
Clickbait.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2018, 16:22 Mr. Tact

Hmm, interesting... while I wasn't a regular viewer of the Beverly Hillbillies I'm guessing I saw enough episodes that I would have heard Jethro say that. I must have simply dismissed it out of hand as being wrong and not worth remembering...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 13, 2018, 15:25 Capella

Holly shit did you guys not watch The Beverly Hillbillies? Jethro was always going around saying he was going to be a "Double Nought" Spy.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2018, 15:01 Kxmode

Night owls have a 10% increase in mortality risk, study says.

Likely related to driving the next day. Serious sleep deprivation has the same effect as driving under the influence.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 12, 2018, 22:02 Stormsinger

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 21:11:
Stormsinger wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:53:
Weird, nought was a commonly used word in my family growing up. I assumed it was, at least, not uncommon elsewhere. It's strange how small the "region" must be to generate local dialects.
Really? How old are you and where did you grow up? Outside the US? I'm in my mid 50s and lived in several different places in my youth (military brat) and I'm reasonably certain I never heard "nought" until I was an adult.
My immediate family was in Kansas City, my mother's family (where we "inherited" the term) was from the panhandle of Nebraska. But they'd traveled over much of the midwest in their time. I'm not really sure of the details, but I believe it was mostly due to some phrases my great uncle used to use, "All I get is noughts and ones" and the like. I know he was well educated, both academically and self-taught, so there's no telling where -he- picked it up.

16. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 12, 2018, 21:11 Mr. Tact

Stormsinger wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:53:
Weird, nought was a commonly used word in my family growing up. I assumed it was, at least, not uncommon elsewhere. It's strange how small the "region" must be to generate local dialects.
Really? How old are you and where did you grow up? Outside the US? I'm in my mid 50s and lived in several different places in my youth (military brat) and I'm reasonably certain I never heard "nought" until I was an adult.

15. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 12, 2018, 20:53 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:28:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:02:
Pretty sure he was commenting on the tenth digit being "ou" instead of zero. Which I agree was weird. Even odder is this could be potentially confusing since initially phone number included letters. So you would have thought they would have been careful to differentiate the two...

That makes a lot more sense

And it's not just confusing, the word it relates to, "nought" hadn't be used commonly for "zero" for nearly 900 years when this film was made.

I wonder if that is even correct english. Because in the context here it's CLEARLY not "nought", it's a zero, a part of the numeric dial system, not the absence of something or anything.

Ps.: Yes, I googled the word history back to the original source of Old English and Arab numbers. Interesting read.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 20:28 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:02:
Pretty sure he was commenting on the tenth digit being "ou" instead of zero. Which I agree was weird. Even odder is this could be potentially confusing since initially phone number included letters. So you would have thought they would have been careful to differentiate the two...

That makes a lot more sense

And it's not just confusing, the word it relates to, "nought" hadn't be used commonly for "zero" for nearly 900 years when this film was made.

I wonder if that is even correct english. Because in the context here it's CLEARLY not "nought", it's a zero, a part of the numeric dial system, not the absence of something or anything.

Ps.: Yes, I googled the word history back to the original source of Old English and Arab numbers. Interesting read.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 20:02 Mr. Tact

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 17:58 eRe4s3r

Capella wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 15:46:
Yea that video was a hoot. I love the comments. Did zero not exist back in those days?

Literally DIALING did not exist before this, you connected to an operator before. And had to know you had to wait for the connection tone before dialing (This was what operators did before they moved that up the to the user end) and Operators were basically "manual switches"

And yes, that sounds as funky as it was.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 17:45 eRe4s3r

Funny, to me it's completely irrelevant whether it's night or day... I can work day or night, and did so, no problems, no sleep problems. I am actually MORE happy when it's dark and cool outside. Best time for me is.. around 3AM , when nature starts to awake I take a walk around the housing complex and it sounds like you are a in frigging jungle. Nothing like this can compare daily, and once sun is up you got PEOPLE noises, and I hate people

Also I guess I have a 110% risk of death. I am elated! I wasn't sure whether I would actually die or not.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 15:46 Capella

Yea that video was a hoot. I love the comments. Did zero not exist back in those days?  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 12:32 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 10:38:
But are people more likely to be Night Owls *because* of health issues or is it vice versa? Maybe being a Night Owl and the increased mortality rate is the symptom rather than the cause.

I'm a night owl because I like to play PC games.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 12:16 RedEye9

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 12:08:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 10:25:
LOL -- I thought for sure the story about an 11 year old racing prodigy was going to be about a horse. I figured they were just being goofy in the headline...

Good on her dad for being able to handle this but my god it's a dangerous sport.
I would like my 11 year old to be in sports were they can maybe break a leg or get a concussion not get completely torn in two.
The cars and sport are safe than sports involving horses.
https://www.wired.com/2014/07/formula-one-car-safety-comfort/

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport

Vote like your rights depend on it

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 12:08 Tipsy McStagger

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 10:25:
LOL -- I thought for sure the story about an 11 year old racing prodigy was going to be about a horse. I figured they were just being goofy in the headline...

Good on her dad for being able to handle this but my god it's a dangerous sport.

I would like my 11 year old to be in sports were they can maybe break a leg or get a concussion not get completely torn in two.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 11:30 Cutter

I've done some shift work here and there over the years and I always found it to be brutal on my system. Especially in winter where'd you be going to bed when it's dark(ish) and waking up when it's dark. I very quickly learned night work is not for me. Yet, I've mainly worked afternoons/evenings and generally got to bed by 3 or 4 AM and up by noon with no problems for most of my life. And I always found that going the other way and getting up and going to work early for me was really tough too. I'd always be ready to crash and need a nap by 2 or 3 o'clock, where I was never tired working afternoon/evening shifts. My circadian clock seems to be permanently set for later in the day.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 11:05 RedEye9

Brazor wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 10:49:
I'm sleeping during the day and not night because I work at night. I don't care if I'm going to die 10% early or whatever. Not an issue.
Thousands of years of evolution and that big glowing thing in the sky don't care about any issues you may or may not have with it.

But at least you get 23% night shift differential.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport

Vote like your rights depend on it

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 10:49 Brazor

I'm sleeping during the day and not night because I work at night. I don't care if I'm going to die 10% early or whatever. Not an issue.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 10:40 Mr. Tact

The Bell dialing video is somewhat amusing. Always fun to see how much the world has changed. My father would have been 23 years old when they introduced dialing. I wonder what he thought about it when he first heard. This general nostalgia led me to an 2014 Atlantic article on area codes which I found interesting.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 10:38 Primalchrome

But are people more likely to be Night Owls *because* of health issues or is it vice versa? Maybe being a Night Owl and the increased mortality rate is the symptom rather than the cause.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 10:25 Mr. Tact

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo