Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes

The Steam Blog announces additions to the Profile Privacy Settings Page with new options for Steam users to restrict the information Valve shares about their activity with the public. They also say they are working on adding an invisible mode to appear offline, which hopefully will not infringe on any 20th century patents held by AOL. As a consequence of recent changes, a tweet from Steam Spy reveals this is going to put an end to their service of reporting on game ownership and activity of Steam users. They note this is not due to the changes Valve discusses in their blog post, but because of an additional unannounced change that makes the contents of everyone's Steam library hidden by default. Here's word on the Steam changes:

Today’s update expands on your Profile Privacy Settings Page, giving you more control over the privacy of your Steam account. With more detailed descriptions of what profile information is included in each category, you will be able to manage how you are viewed by your friends, or the wider Steam Community.

You can now select who can view your profile’s “game details”; which includes the list of games you have purchased or wishlisted, along with achievements and playtime. This setting also controls whether you’re seen as “in-game” and the title of the game you are playing.

Additionally, regardless of which setting you choose for your profile’s game details, you now have the option to keep your total game playtime private. You no longer need to nervously laugh it off as a bug when your friends notice the 4,000+ hours you've put into Ricochet.

Looking ahead a little, we are also working on a new “invisible” mode in addition to the already existing “online”, “away” and “offline” presence options. If you choose to set yourself to invisible, you’ll appear as offline, but you’ll still be able to view your friends list, send and receive messages. Sometimes you’re feeling social, and sometimes you’re not; this setting should help Steam users be social on their own terms. We hope to have this feature ready for beta release soon.

Like many Steam features, these privacy options come directly from user feedback. If you would like to join that conversation, as always, we welcome you to visit the Steam Discussions and add your feedback.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 13, 2018, 16:50 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 10:01:
Slashman wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 09:40:
Steam is by no means a perfect platform or application, but damn! The amount of vitriol and hate that spews out anytime it specifically gets a mention on Blues regarding any type of changes its making is so freaking over the top.

Some folks really need to find something to do to reduce their bitterness levels. They're just toxic.
You noticed that, eh? It is something I've never quite understood either. *shrug* I've learned to ignore it. Seeing as I've never seen anyone give a serious critique which made sense or mattered to me in any significant way.

Steam murdered my firstborn. I have steeled myself against it til such day as I take my revenge. Backstab

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 13, 2018, 10:01 Mr. Tact

Slashman wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 09:40:
Steam is by no means a perfect platform or application, but damn! The amount of vitriol and hate that spews out anytime it specifically gets a mention on Blues regarding any type of changes its making is so freaking over the top.

Some folks really need to find something to do to reduce their bitterness levels. They're just toxic.
You noticed that, eh? It is something I've never quite understood either. *shrug* I've learned to ignore it. Seeing as I've never seen anyone give a serious critique which made sense or mattered to me in any significant way.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

42. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 13, 2018, 08:47 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 14:28:
Vio wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 06:54:
It's fine having privacy but make the default public

Making your profile public should be opt-in, not opt-out as you suggest.
Those true false tests are so 50/50.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

41. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 14:28 jdreyer

Vio wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 06:54:

Making your profile public should be opt-in, not opt-out as you suggest.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

40. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 09:40 Slashman

39. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 07:42 TheEmissary

Bub wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 07:14:
So Steam noticed that many online multiplayer games in its catalog are not selling anymore since potential buyers can easily see that a game only has a handful of daily players. Also Steam is getting into that old greedy, share cropping landlord huff over outside sites monetizing its public player game data without giving Steam a cut.

Plenty of people have told steam just how clunky their wish list and personal catalog are, and they recently just made them even more primitive, while sites like Is There Any Deal, offer a superior wish list and personal catalog management suite.

Won't surprise me if Steam's next move is to neuter the whole player reviews scheme. About half the games now in my Steam Queue have mostly negative reviews which helps me avoid those turkeys.

This is about privacy. They haven't taken down their Anonymous stats concerning hardware profiles, traffic/bandwidth, top played games. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ The games not selling anymore would drop off that page.

Valve is well within their rights to lock off an API that is used to scrap information from user profiles.

38. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 07:17 diesoften

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 06:18:
diesoften wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 02:58:
Is no one else thinking the obvious that if they went after Facebook then Steam wouldn't be that far behind?

So Steam is getting it's act in order?

Ehm, that's a pretty obvious thing to think, don't you think?

If with they you mean the EU, and with "after" you mean a law that was in the works for nearly a decade now.

I meant as a result of the Cambridge Analytica privacy scandal.

37. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 07:14 Bub

So Steam noticed that many online multiplayer games in its catalog are not selling anymore since potential buyers can easily see that a game only has a handful of daily players. Also Steam is getting into that old greedy, share cropping landlord huff over outside sites monetizing its public player game data without giving Steam a cut.

Plenty of people have told steam just how clunky their wish list and personal catalog are, and they recently just made them even more primitive, while sites like Is There Any Deal, offer a superior wish list and personal catalog management suite.

Won't surprise me if Steam's next move is to neuter the whole player reviews scheme. About half the games now in my Steam Queue have mostly negative reviews which helps me avoid those turkeys.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

36. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 06:54 Vio

35. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 06:18 eRe4s3r

diesoften wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 02:58:
Is no one else thinking the obvious that if they went after Facebook then Steam wouldn't be that far behind?

Ehm, that's a pretty obvious thing to think, don't you think?

If with they you mean the EU, and with "after" you mean a law that was in the works for nearly a decade now.

34. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 03:52 Suppa7

necrosis wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 17:12:
More privacy "is horrible for the consumer"? Wow.

Valve is the biggest privacy violator on the internet, they pioneered drm and stealing gamers software rights to own their own shit away from them. Most AAA games have servers that are now required for the multi player functionality to even continue to work in most AAA single player games.

Pre high speed internet videogames couldn't be taken hostage. "software as as service model" cannot be made to protect your privacy if you use steam they have access to what you do and when you do it if you don't crack your game their software spies on you.

33. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 03:11 saluk

GDPR strikes again!  

32. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 02:58 diesoften

31. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 18:23 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:40:
Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:50:
Funny how some blame evil AAA publishers for this, others blame whiny "SJW" indie devs for this.

Everyone has a boogeyman. My guess is this is just about privacy and what's going on with other social networks, which Steam is as well as a store. EU regulations mandated this.

Funny that Valve was able to whip this up in the two weeks since the Collateral Analytics story broke, but 14 years later, no Half Life 3.

Something something Black Lives Matter something SJW something AntiFa something something Laura Ingraham.

Sean Hannity.

Gun control.

There, I just saved you guys about a page worth of bullshit. You can thank me later.

=-Rigs-=

30. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 18:18 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 17:22:
By the way, you could already hide your profile and lists by setting your profile to private. Now it's default hidden, not really a big change although obviously a problem for steamspy (not steamDB, steamDB crawls internal dev API, not user API).
Good to know, thanks.
necrosis wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 17:12:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:41:
This is horrible for the consumer and I'm sure it will affect https://steamdb.info/ which will suck.
Everything under my profile is private and has been that way since I started using steam. My comment concerning the consumer was that if you can't see how many people are playing a multiplayer game and other game trends ala steamdb then it defitely hurts the consumer.
"eRe4s3r" answered the question.

29. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 18:04 Darks

Steam, I swear!!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

28. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 17:50 Suppa7

The very existence of steam is a privacy violation as soon as most games wrapped their games in steam works analytics it was over. Consumers are idiots. BY right steam shouldn't even exist but most people are fucking idiots.  

27. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 17:22 eRe4s3r

So it takes the threat of 500k € fines per violation for Steam to fix a tiny bit of their store? Maybe we should extend this law then to other areas, like fixing their god awful steam application to use 64bit finally? Or maybe a up-to-date Chromium implementation? Or maybe a better filter possibility for new releases, and some oversight over all the crap that is added?

By the way, you could already hide your profile and lists by setting your profile to private. Now it's default hidden, not really a big change although obviously a problem for steamspy (not steamDB, steamDB crawls internal dev API, not user API). Since I want to show what I play I will never hide my library anyhow. You can point and laugh at me for playing Nekopara or Littlewitch all you want, in the end it's just you that looks prude and uninformed (No p0rn in steam versions....) ;p

26. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 17:12 necrosis

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:41:
This is horrible for the consumer and I'm sure it will affect https://steamdb.info/ which will suck.

25. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 16:04 RedEye9

Luke wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:52:
HoSpanky wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:42:
Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:58:
Luke wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:50:
bah baaaa

And the alternatives are what exactly?

Knowing Luke’s entire posting history involves calling people either sheep or clowns, with literally nothing constructive, he HAS no alternative. He thinks he’s smarter than everyone else while using the vocabulary/grammar of a child.

bah baaa baa

baaa
But he is a consistent child.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo