Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

BATTLETECH Trailer

Publisher Paradox Interactive and developer Harebrained Schemes offers a new trailer for BATTLETECH that's the final entry in their series highlighting the story in the upcoming mech game. The clip comes along with a discussion of the project, described as "Game of Thrones meets Pacific Rim in space" in a harebrained quote:

Paradox Interactive and Harebrained Schemes today released the final installment in their BATTLETECH Basics video series, exploring the games story of noble politics and betrayal among the stars. The first turn-based tactical ‘Mech PC game in over 20 years, BATTLETECH will be available on April 24, 2018.

“BATTLETECH is Game of Thrones meets Pacific Rim in space,” said Mitch Gitelman, studio manager at Harebrained Schemes. “[Kamea] hires you to do the types of jobs that her standing army can’t do.”

“That is within the context of your larger campaign, of reputation building and working for all the different houses… It’s a wonderful way to get a true, classic BATTLETECH story,” said Jordan Weisman, CEO of Harebrained Schemes and creator the MechWarrior and BATTLETECH universe. “This really opens it up for the player to extend their own story of their mercenary unit, in whichever direction they want to go.”

Developed by Harebrained Schemes, the studio responsible for the critically acclaimed Shadowrun Returns series, BATTLETECH is the next generation of turn-based tactical ‘Mech combat. In BATTLETECH, you play as the commander of a mercenary company on the edges of civilized space, negotiating and executing a variety of combat contracts while attempting to keep your ‘Mechwarriors happy and your operations prosperous. The game’s story features the player falling in with the deposed ruler of a noble house and, fighting for either coin or cause, becoming a player in her bid to retake her throne. BATTLETECH will be available for PC and Mac, at a suggested retail price of $39.99. Linux will be added post-launch.

“It’s knights and nobility, except instead of knights, it’s giant war machines,” said Mike McCain, game director of BATTLETECH.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 12, 2018, 18:04 Hump

VB! whats up pal?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 12, 2018, 17:59 Hump

Damn, Mitch Geitleman is STILL with the IP after many, many years.

Hats off Mitch, thanks for carrying the torch!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

28. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 12, 2018, 16:33 Bubicus

It's a Periphery House. There are many of those, so this doesn't go against lore in any way. When I played Battletech in the '80s, my playgroup's campaigns often revolved around getting contracts for Periphery clients.  

27. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 12, 2018, 02:13 sdgundamx

JoeNapalm wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 16:04:
Having played Crescent Hawk's Inception on an IBM 8088, I approve of this message.

Now get off my lawn.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

OMG, the memories! I haven't thought of that game in ages!

26. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 21:58 jdreyer

MacLeod wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 19:25:
Odd idea to pull out a new random never-heard-of House to tell your story... going to get the BattleTech lore people annoyed. hehe.
Oh, so it wasn't just me asking "Who?"

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

25. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 19:25 MacLeod

Odd idea to pull out a new random never-heard-of House to tell your story... going to get the BattleTech lore people annoyed. hehe.  

24. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 19:08 Simon Says

Just watched one... combat looks boring :/  

23. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 18:57 Nate

Backed the Kickstarter. Can't wait for this to release.

CohhCarnage has many episodes on Youtube if you want to see gameplay.

22. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 18:37 bhcompy

Kind of dig the Homeworld style cutscenes. Gives it a different flair than your typical canned CGI cutscene or in-engine cutscene  

21. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 18:13 Flatline

verybad1 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 14:07:
"Game of Thrones meets Pacific Rim in space"

What sad about that analogy is the Battletech predates both of those IPs.

Yep. I played Battletech in highschool. I'm 47 now...

I found my copy of Battledroids before Lucas sued them for using "Droids" just last month.

20. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 18:02 Darks

test  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

19. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 17:52 Darks

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:01:
Darks wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 13:02:
Nope, the best Kickstarter is and always will be the Divinity games.

Divinity 2 is Game of the year you cant beat that no matter what you toss at it.
I didn't back either one of those. Honestly, I never bothered finishing the first one....though I've heard that after one of the big patches it made the storyline flow better. I've wanted to buy Divinity 2 because of the praise...but have been concerned about a repeat of the clunky/disjointed quests early in the first one.

Probably should bite the bullet, though. Both my kids bought Divinity 2 and have loved it. ...and if those two blockheads can get deep into the campaign, SURELY I can!

Trust me ,both are incredible games, the second being even better. and yes, it did get game of the year for the RPG category. When I say its game of the year, I was not speaking for my self, I was actually quoting from the facts that this game earned that honor.

I'm not busting on Battletech, I love the games and series of games it established, I was the one who created the Coop missions for Mech 4 and Mercs back in the day. So, no one can ever say I'm not a fan.

Definitely looking forward to this game and I know it will be great, but until someone dethrones Divinity its still the king of games on KS.

And BTW, Divinity is very awesome when played Coop with a few friends. We have a Coop campaign going now, been going for several Friday lan sessions and its been a blast.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

18. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 16:41 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:54:
Rhett isn't wrong...

Sorry for not being 100% clear, this should help:

I agree with what you're saying Rhett.

Task wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:54:
This is really just a step up from that for turn-based Battletech.

Yes, I'm very familiar with BattleTech in all of its incarnations.

17. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 16:04 JoeNapalm

Having played Crescent Hawk's Inception on an IBM 8088, I approve of this message.

Now get off my lawn.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

16. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 15:54 Task

Peter M. Smith wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 14:31:
Rhett wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:49:
I just recall seeing them spin on a dime to turn, didn't really look like a big robot turning. Or like running up a hill. Very small stuff I could overlook, almost certainly buying it anyway.

So clunky as in "too fluid", got it. Yeah, I saw a little of that when I was playing the beta. My head canon is time expands in a turn of BattleTech (table top is ten seconds/turn), the animated movements are an artifact of compressing time back down into something that is watchable in normal time.

Rhett isn't wrong, the animations are clunky but workable. HBS said in a Q&A when they were gifted the 3D models they had to scrap the animations that came with them and make their own and make other animations that did not exist with the model to begin with (melee punches and kicks), some of the ones they made make a Mech look look odd when it fires off LRMs for example (constantly shakes, instead of just steadying itself and shifting back once). And the PGI model animations themselves are notorious for looking clunky in the game they come from and are not as 'smooth' or natural-looking as say MW4 animations.

It's really personal preference in this instance. I play MegaMek on and off and sit and stare at 2D pixels moving across hexes shooting at each other with zero animation, and still find it very fun. This is really just a step up from that for turn-based Battletech.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2018, 16:10.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

15. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 15:45 KS

Loved Battletech back on the Sega Genesis and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries on the PC. Neither were turn-based.

My favorite thing to do in Mercs was get in the zipper and issue the Atlases D and K to my wingmen and let them chew down the enemy as they always, always came after "me". Stupid AI, so use it to your advantage.

14. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 15:37 verybad1

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 14:07:

Yep. I played Battletech in highschool. I'm 47 now...

13. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 15:01 Primalchrome

Darks wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 13:02:
Nope, the best Kickstarter is and always will be the Divinity games.

Divinity 2 is Game of the year you cant beat that no matter what you toss at it.
I didn't back either one of those. Honestly, I never bothered finishing the first one....though I've heard that after one of the big patches it made the storyline flow better. I've wanted to buy Divinity 2 because of the praise...but have been concerned about a repeat of the clunky/disjointed quests early in the first one.

Probably should bite the bullet, though. Both my kids bought Divinity 2 and have loved it. ...and if those two blockheads can get deep into the campaign, SURELY I can!

12. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 14:31 Peter M. Smith

Rhett wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:49:
I just recall seeing them spin on a dime to turn, didn't really look like a big robot turning. Or like running up a hill. Very small stuff I could overlook, almost certainly buying it anyway.

So clunky as in "too fluid", got it. Yeah, I saw a little of that when I was playing the beta. My head canon is time expands in a turn of BattleTech (table top is ten seconds/turn), the animated movements are an artifact of compressing time back down into something that is watchable in normal time.

11. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 14:07 jdreyer

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo