Radical Heights Launched

Radical Heights is now available for Windows on Steam, offering what Boss Key Productions calls X-TREME Early Access for their free-to-play battle royale shooter. They also now are selling a Radical Heights Founder's Pack with cosmetic items and in-game currency for the game, noting, "This product is not eligible for refund." Here's the trailer showing off gameplay, and here's word:
Welcome to RADICAL HEIGHTS, a free *X-TREME Early Access* BATTLE ROYALE shooter. Partake in high-stakes battle royale gunplay in a sunny SoCal dome as contestants drive-by on BMX bikes or stalk other contestants from the shadows in search for weapons and prizes...but also CASH that you can bank - win or lose! Whether you spend that cash on righteous customization in your personal prize room or pull it from an ATM to purchase weapons early in the next game -- building a wealth of cash is as important as taking down the competition in this irreverent 80s-themed action game show where everyone wants to be rich and famous!

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Radical Heights Launched
Apr 11, 2018, 14:25
Beamer

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 11, 2018, 14:25
Apr 11, 2018, 14:25
 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:58:
Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:17:
And everyone involved on this thought 'Yeah, this is gonna' be fucking radical, bro!'? Wow. Just wow.

However, never underestimate the negativity and cynicism among gamers. A game like this, even if it were good, would likely suffer the same response. The wounds are still fresh from LB. It's the game equivalent of a parent beating their child (shut down LB) and then two days later throwing a party (Rad Heights announcement and launch). Parent, "Oh, I didn't hit you hard! Hey, have some cake! It's rad."

It's not just negativity and cynicism, it's personal grudges, fragility, and entitlement.

You see it in anything with fandom, but video games just happens to have a higher percentage of fandom. Movies can be another area, to a lesser degree, but I honestly saw someone the other day say they refused to ever see a movie with The Rock because of how bad Scorpion King was. That movie was almost 20 years ago, when he was a nobody in Hollywood and was happy to get a speaking role - WWF wrestlers usually got put into garbage at best and he was taking what he could. How insane to ignore things created just for people like you, that tons of people like you love, for something almost 20 years ago.

Apr 11, 2018, 13:49
Slick

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 11, 2018, 13:49
Apr 11, 2018, 13:49
 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:58:
And everyone involved on this thought 'Yeah, this is gonna' be fucking radical, bro!'? Wow. Just wow.

However, never underestimate the negativity and cynicism among gamers. A game like this, even if it were good, would likely suffer the same response. The wounds are still fresh from LB. It's the game equivalent of a parent beating their child (shut down LB) and then two days later throwing a party (Rad Heights announcement and launch). Parent, "Oh, I didn't hit you hard! Hey, have some cake! It's rad."

More like:

"Oh shit, I bet your college tuition on a bad horse, sorry kid!"

*two days later*

"Hey champ, I just hacked together this lemonade stand, people love buying lemonade right? Daddy needs some money to turn the power back on"

I think it's pretty obvious their studio is probably on the brink of bankruptcy. They dug a pretty big hole with LawBreakers, not sure how many investors would be lining up to sink money into their next project. It makes sense to get it out the door and making SOME kind of cash ASAP before they completely dissolve.

My only hope for this game is that it SOMEHOW adds LB as a playable mini-game inside Radical Heights, because LB deserves to be played, it's a really solid game.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Apr 11, 2018, 03:01
Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 11, 2018, 03:01
Apr 11, 2018, 03:01

Enjoying this game a lot so far. Got about a half dozen 2nd place finishes before I finally got a solo win, but after playing for about 6 hours I can definitely see the potential here. Fun game mechanics + silly atmosphere actually work well together and make for a great experience provided you can overlook the bugs and general jankiness of the current version.

Apr 10, 2018, 22:57
Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 22:57

Wow. That might be the worst trailer I have ever seen for a shooter...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 22:57

If this is that rank on Twitch tomorrow, I'll be amazed.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Apr 10, 2018, 18:23
Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 18:23
Apr 10, 2018, 18:23

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 17:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:29:
Currently #65 in total players online, right alongside H1Z1 and Clicker Heroes... Not a strong showing for a F2P launch.

On Twitch it's #4 with 77,293 viewers.

Lol, okay. You know what's still ahead of it? "Welcome to the Game II," apparently the latest fad of a shitty horror game that nobody buys but people like to watch for a minute. That game is $10 and has under 500 concurrent players: http://steamcharts.com/app/720250

Any bad free game can get tens of thousands of concurrent players on its launch day... Radical Heights just isn't.

Edit: To illustrate how volatile those numbers are, I've seen them both jump up and down by the tens of thousands multiple times in the past ten minutes. It's probably no more than a handful of mid-level streamers filtering in and out of either game. Regardless, Twitch viewers don't make CliffyB money. Meanwhile, Far Cry 5 pushed PUBG off the #1 spot and proved to be Ubisoft's second most successful launch ever, but it has only 12k viewers...

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2018, 18:36.

Re: Game Reviews
Apr 10, 2018, 17:15
Kxmode

Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2018, 17:15
Apr 10, 2018, 17:15
 Kxmode

peteham wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:38:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:45:
If you think you can make something, do more work towards making it before showing it off. Blah blah, only one chance to make a first impression. How many games pick up steam later on in life, especially after a mediocre-or-worse launch? Fortnite, by completely changing what the game was (to the point that the title no longer makes sense), and... uh...?
With Lawbreakers failing the way it did, I'd guess this move is forced by their financial situation. Either release now and hope for some income or investor interest, or run out of cash for payroll in a few months anyway, having released nothing. I really can't see this doing well in any state though. At a superficial level, it's too similar to the pre-existing juggernaut of Fortnite. Much like the next big MOBA-situation of yesteryear.

For the sake of those hard-working developers, I hope it does well. Unemployment sucks.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 10, 2018, 17:13
Kxmode

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 17:13
Apr 10, 2018, 17:13
 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:29:
Currently #65 in total players online, right alongside H1Z1 and Clicker Heroes... Not a strong showing for a F2P launch.

On Twitch it's #4 with 77,293 viewers.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 10, 2018, 16:55
Beamer

Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2018, 16:55
Apr 10, 2018, 16:55
 Beamer

peteham wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:38:
If you think you can make something, do more work towards making it before showing it off. Blah blah, only one chance to make a first impression. How many games pick up steam later on in life, especially after a mediocre-or-worse launch? Fortnite, by completely changing what the game was (to the point that the title no longer makes sense), and... uh...?
With Lawbreakers failing the way it did, I'd guess this move is forced by their financial situation. Either release now and hope for some income or investor interest, or run out of cash for payroll in a few months anyway, having released nothing. I really can't see this doing well in any state though. At a superficial level, it's too similar to the pre-existing juggernaut of Fortnite. Much like the next big MOBA-situation of yesteryear.

I agree that it's likely driven by financial need. But desperation doesn't make it smart. You're dooming something to fail, and in the process throwing good money after bad. You're desperate for a revenue stream so selling something to consumers you know has a 90%+ chance of being worthless in the very near future.

Apr 10, 2018, 16:38
Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2018, 16:38
Apr 10, 2018, 16:38

Apr 10, 2018, 16:29
Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 16:29
Apr 10, 2018, 16:29

Apr 10, 2018, 15:58
Kxmode

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:58
Apr 10, 2018, 15:58
 Kxmode

Apr 10, 2018, 15:51
Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:51
Apr 10, 2018, 15:51

Yeah, I don't get it. It's a horrible idea to play on nostalgia, 'cause anyone old enough to get any of these references is FAR from the target audience of a battle royale game. Gamers in the 40+ age group might give it a shot for that reason, but they won't be living and breathing it the way kids 8-18 would, which seem to comprise the majority of those who've made Fortnite BR such a success. They're all about half my age or less, and I was a '90s kid... So this game taking off would hinge more on its actual merits (unlikely), or some kind of miracle happening where '80s cheese suddenly comes back in style and this game is there to cater to that.

Apr 10, 2018, 15:45
Beamer

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:45
Apr 10, 2018, 15:45
 Beamer

I kind of like the money idea.

But the art is still hideous. And pushing this out the door in 5 months is a disaster. From what I'm reading, it's all over Twitch, but the feedback is terrible. Which it should be, Bosskey is very openly stating this is early, early, early access, and a lot of work needs to be done. But gamers are impatient, especially if anything is high profile with hype. Being from Cliff, this is high profile and hype. Everyone will check it out now, see it's in a terrible state, and move on quickly, writing it off entirely.

Apr 10, 2018, 15:17
Cutter

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:17
Apr 10, 2018, 15:17
 Cutter

"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Apr 10, 2018, 15:08
Kxmode

Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:08
Apr 10, 2018, 15:08
 Kxmode

"Mostly Negative" Bogus!

Apr 10, 2018, 14:36
Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 14:36
Apr 10, 2018, 14:36

a

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2019, 00:50.
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older