Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 11, 2018, 08:50 Beamer

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 08:28:
More to think about:
https://consortiumnews.com/2018/04/10/taking-the-world-to-the-brink/

Is your theory that the mainstream media is deliberately stoking war on its own, that it's partnering with the government that keeps calling it fake and trying to delegitimize it (leaking that they covered the stories the government asked would certainly do lot in that regard), or unwitting pawns of the government?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 11, 2018, 08:28 Muscular Beaver

More to think about:
https://consortiumnews.com/2018/04/10/taking-the-world-to-the-brink/

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 19:52 DangerDog

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:38:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL_9Epa_sLI
How times change, huh?

Tucker is a Putin puppet.

Mad

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 19:20 Muscular Beaver

Flatline wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 18:59:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:43:
Saboth wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:29:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:29:
I find almost all news agencies have their own "agenda" when it comes to reporting the news.

I don't care if they have an agenda or not. If someone is going to call CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post and the rest "fake news", whoever said that is going to have to have some real facts to back it up. And no, 1 or 2 misreported or wrong stories out of thousands does not constitute an untrustworthy news source.
I am pretty sure you would see that differently if you were one of the relative of people who died in wars that were supported and even only enabled by these very media corporations.
Their agenda becomes obvious in times like these. Like today. Or like 1 year ago, when they suddenly all cheered for Trump because he attacked Syria, only to go back to childish and unfounded attacks when it was clear he wouldnt invade.

I think you're confusing pundits and talking heads for real journalism. Even at CNN & MSNBC there's significant journalism going on. You just have to dig for it and get past the bobbleheads that have to find 24 hour news content.

There were plenty of people associated with major news sources flying the warning flag when Trump bombed the Syrian airfield.

There's good journalism going on at these places. You just have to dig past the bobblehead crap which in the end is op-ed and not reporting.

Having to fill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with content that by it's nature is variable is difficult and honestly probably a terrible idea to begin with.

It might be doable if the news channels actually reported on more than domestic news but... *shrugs*
List them. And then list the other side. Count them. And list the topics, how important they were. And most important, list the things they simply left out.
I dont expect you to do that. But you would be shocked, unless youre a psychopath.

Youre not getting the point. They are manipulating the public into wars. They always have. Thats not the job of the media. Its the opposite.
These are news about millions of lives. Literally. And they dont do their job and so millions of people die. And its not only in the USA. Its the exact same thing in Europe. And when you look at those media corporations they are either affiliated with the government and/or have transatlantic ties.

Its all very obvious, but most people refuse to see it, because they dont want to be the bad guys.
Thats natural, but then dont be surprised when some people call you what you are: Part of the problem, because you keep letting them do this shit and even support it by downplaying it and completely denying the shit they do.

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 18:59 Flatline

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:43:
I find almost all news agencies have their own "agenda" when it comes to reporting the news.

I don't care if they have an agenda or not. If someone is going to call CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post and the rest "fake news", whoever said that is going to have to have some real facts to back it up. And no, 1 or 2 misreported or wrong stories out of thousands does not constitute an untrustworthy news source.
I am pretty sure you would see that differently if you were one of the relative of people who died in wars that were supported and even only enabled by these very media corporations.
Their agenda becomes obvious in times like these. Like today. Or like 1 year ago, when they suddenly all cheered for Trump because he attacked Syria, only to go back to childish and unfounded attacks when it was clear he wouldnt invade.

I think you're confusing pundits and talking heads for real journalism. Even at CNN & MSNBC there's significant journalism going on. You just have to dig for it and get past the bobbleheads that have to find 24 hour news content.

There were plenty of people associated with major news sources flying the warning flag when Trump bombed the Syrian airfield.

There's good journalism going on at these places. You just have to dig past the bobblehead crap which in the end is op-ed and not reporting.

Having to fill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with content that by it's nature is variable is difficult and honestly probably a terrible idea to begin with.

It might be doable if the news channels actually reported on more than domestic news but... *shrugs*

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 16:43 Muscular Beaver

23. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 16:29 Saboth

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 15:38 Muscular Beaver

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 14:26:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:40:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 12:13:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:21:
WaltC wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:10:
CNN calling out Facebook for hosting a fake page is pot calling kettle black...;) Unlike CNN's deliberate, calculated fake news, FB simply hosted the page. It is true, however, that FB made no effort to verify the page as legit, even though it was a FB page seeking donations. Not surprising as FB never questions much of anything tied to "liberal" political causes, fake or otherwise.

Everyone, it's ok. WaltC made is obligatory single political post in a topic, spewing out talking points he will never, ever source. He won't cite a single thing to prove his claim, which in this case should be easy, as if CNN has so much "fake news" it would only take him a moment to post a few examples.

And he won't be back. He fires and forgets. Sometimes, I'm under the impression his doctors only allow him a few moments of internet time per day before putting him back in the padded room, so there's no way he can reply.

In fairness, he's not the only one to make super conservative claims then never come back when asked to cite them, he's just the most consistent.

WaltC sources his information from the only organization he trusts...Al Jazeera.

Did you ever watch Al Jazeera?

I did and do, along with the BBC, and as many other world news outlets that are not US based that also have an English speaking or reading version. I do not disagree with anything you said. I made the comment about Al Jazeera because WaltC is very likely to be the kind of person who thinks that Fox News really is "fair and balanced". To the point where any international news agency would be wrong or flat out lying because they're "furrin'".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL_9Epa_sLI
How times change, huh?

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:27 Beamer

Bard wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 14:05:
CNN calling out Facebook for hosting a fake page is pot calling kettle black...;) Unlike CNN's deliberate, calculated fake news, FB simply hosted the page. It is true, however, that FB made no effort to verify the page as legit, even though it was a FB page seeking donations. Not surprising as FB never questions much of anything tied to "liberal" political causes, fake or otherwise.

Everyone, it's ok. WaltC made is obligatory single political post in a topic, spewing out talking points he will never, ever source. He won't cite a single thing to prove his claim, which in this case should be easy, as if CNN has so much "fake news" it would only take him a moment to post a few examples.

And he won't be back. He fires and forgets. Sometimes, I'm under the impression his doctors only allow him a few moments of internet time per day before putting him back in the padded room, so there's no way he can reply.

In fairness, he's not the only one to make super conservative claims then never come back when asked to cite them, he's just the most consistent.

heh - i guess some people are so un/misinformed the obvious requires proof that people should be able to find for themselves.

So you can't, then, either, eh?
Fun. If it's so obvious, there should be overwhelming proof on their website.

I mean, I'm sure I can find some. It usually isn't hard to find them completely misunderstanding something in a remote village of China, but when that happens, the entire western world gets it wrong, so it's never network specific. There are likely other things misreported at first, but I can guarantee all of those were corrected.

So, c'mon, Bard, post me 3 articles up on CNN.com that are false.

-------------

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:26 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:40:

WaltC sources his information from the only organization he trusts...Al Jazeera.

Did you ever watch Al Jazeera?

I did and do, along with the BBC, and as many other world news outlets that are not US based that also have an English speaking or reading version. I do not disagree with anything you said. I made the comment about Al Jazeera because WaltC is very likely to be the kind of person who thinks that Fox News really is "fair and balanced". To the point where any international news agency would be wrong or flat out lying because they're "furrin'".

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:25 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:58:
It's never been anything more than trolling for views when you get right down to it.

There was a fairly brief time in early TV broadcast where serious news that tried to draw a line between editorializing and reporting the news was enforced back in the 50's. For a 20-30 years, the news was gloriously a non-profit endeavor- TV stations would frequently lose money on it. It was kind of a trade with the government- access to broadcast spectrum in exchange for beneficial fact based news and similar programming.

You can look up Edward R Murrow's discussions on television, journalism, and the obligation of networks to cover news. He was pretty outspoken about it.

That's actually why Network was a black comedy back when it was released. The things we take for granted now about the news was literally an anathema 40 years ago.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:23 DangerDog

It's 2018, you have to get your real news from comedian talk-show hosts on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdTBmCRSB4

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:19 Flatline

Bard wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 14:05:

heh - i guess some people are so un/misinformed the obvious requires proof that people should be able to find for themselves.

Not all of us buy nutraceuticals from infowars.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:17 Flatline

I find almost all news agencies have their own "agenda" when it comes to reporting the news. This is what's spawned the term "Fake news".

I have a memory. Fake news literally came from the rise of Alex Jones and Brietbart making shit up out of whole cloth. and pitching it as legitimate news. They'd scream about it enough someone would report on them screaming, which would lead to Trump or some other politician quoting the story that covers the yelling like it's a legitimate story, and then Brietbart or Alex Jones or whoever covers *that* to justify that their story was correct.

And that accusation was starting to stick to Trump during the campaign because he was really bad about free form quoting Brietbart and Infowars and then making further shit up, but then he took the term and skull-fucked it into the meaningless phrase it is now.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:05 Bard

14. Re: Web standard brings password-free sign-ins to virtually any site. Apr 10, 2018, 14:03 Mr. Tact

Okay, can someone explain to me why this standard is significantly safer? I mean, the site has to store that information (whatever it is) to allow you login. Which tells me the information can be stolen. Once it is stolen, they'd have access to all your accounts using that biometic data, right? Having different passwords for everything is certainly a pain, but I fail to see how storing the same biometic data at all the websites is increasing my security.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 13:58 Cutter

Most news is just pablum anyway. There's little to no substance to it. It's never been anything more than trolling for views when you get right down to it.

'One common household chemical that could wipe out you family! Tune in to find out at 11!'

I especially love it when they parrot government reports like job numbers. They never say what kinds of jobs. Adding 50,000 in a quarter McJobs is nothing to crow about. The lack of details is why I never bother with mainstream news.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 13:58 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:47:

Ah, yes. CNN, that bastion of fake news. Let's see what the empirical evidence says:
And as for CNN? It has the best record among the cable networks, as 80 percent of of the claims rated are Half True or better.

I thought one of the bedrock principles of conservatives was honesty. So why do lie all the time Walt? You're like the anti-CNN, literally 80% of what you say is a lie.

CNN tends to gravitate more towards the sensational than trying to spin stories in one direction or the other. FOX looks like some right-wing nutter scribbled his rantings on the back of McDonald's burger wrapped and then a bunch of editors cleaned it up into something semi-presentable. MSNBC isn't too far behind that... their stories are scrawled on an organic biodegradable Panera wrapper...

Also the bedrock of conservative principle is, laws and morality are weapons to be used against opponents, not something we have to abide by. See conservatives calling for blood when Franken got caught being creepy, and giving Trump a mulligan for his multiple infidelities and general sleaziness towards women.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 13:47 Beamer

I find almost all news agencies have their own "agenda" when it comes to reporting the news. This is what's spawned the term "Fake news".

No, that's what Trump latched on to for "fake news."

Prior to that, "fake news" was exactly what it sounds like. Not news with a slant, or blowing something out of proportion to make it news, but actual fake news. The type of stuff Russia was putting on Facebook early on during the primaries. Things like "Hillary's doctor speaks, says she has degenerative brain disease."

People were arguing about it early on, that so much shared on Facebook was outright fake. Hell, one site, I feel like The Verge but possibly John Oliver, tracked down a town in Bulgaria or some such that was just pumping out articles like this nonstop. For both sides, but far more for the right, because it created more clicks. Stories and headlines that didn't have any basis in reality, but were real enough for the gullible to click. They often cited other stories by similarly fake sites to make themselves look more real. Hell, the whole Planned Parenthood selling fetus parts was fake news with no true basis in reality, created here in the US by fake news virtuoso James O'Keefe.

Once it went from primaries to election, Trump warped it to mean news he didn't like. Stuff that does have a basis in reality, but is being slanted or overemphasized or just something he doesn't feel is important.

-------------

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 13:40 Beamer

Did you ever watch Al Jazeera? It was actually pretty good. Their western operations are separate from their middle east ones, and while there's undoubtedly a bias, it was far, far less noticeable than any current US cable news company.

More importantly, they discussed the world, and they discussed news. They didn't spend 24/7 discussing the Malaysian airplane when there was absolutely nothing new to report. They didn't devote entire afternoons to Stormy Daniels without discussing why she matters (her being a porn star that had an affair with Trump while his wife had just given birth doesn't really matter, but it's the main thing they discuss.) And, unlike Tucker Carlson last night, they didn't spend an hour outraged over how much sex pandas have.

They'd discuss actual events occurring around the world that US news utterly ignores.

-------------

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo