Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights

Boss Key Productions announces Radical Heights, a free-to-play battle royale game they will self-publish through "X-Treme" Early Access on Steam tomorrow, a quick payoff on their recent mention of their upcoming passion project. Here's a trailer showing off the game in all its radicalness, and here's the announcement, which does not mention the role of studio founder Cliff Bleszinski in this project's development:

WELCOME TO THE BATTLE ROYALE WITH CHEESE. Today Boss Key Productions announces Radical Heights, a new free-to-play game the studio will self-publish on STEAM in “X-TREME” Early Access on April 10. In Radical Heights, shooting skills matter for survival, but also the search for prizes and cash players can collect to spend on weapons and items. Take the cash you find with you from match to match and use it how you see fit. It’s a scavenger hunt survival shooter where cash is king​.

“This is a five month passion project for the studio as we’re creating and publishing the game entirely by ourselves,” said Zach Lowery, Radical Heights Creative Director. “We’re huge fans of Battle Royale games along with the bright, inviting irreverence of the 80’s aesthetic. Because of that, we want to put our own spin on the genre and create a futuristic 80’s world that takes place in 2023 during an over-the-top game show where contestants battle it out for fame and prizes”.

Aside from the bodacious gunplay and ability to pull off some awesome BMX tricks, the game features:

• Play for Free: ​Jump into Radical Heights and just play! You don’t need to worry about having your gameplay experience sullied by pay-to-win mechanics. All of Radical Height’s bodacious items are cosmetic only, with no gameplay advantages!
  • Dynamic Game Show Moments: ​Spin the wheel! Open that prize door! Go for a cash-grab! Or… wait until another contestant does, take aim and fire away to snag all the cash & prizes for yourself. Each game of Radical Heights is completely different, as unique Game Show moments occur at random. Take a chance - it might just pay off.
  • Cash is King:​ Only in Radical Heights does in-game cash you find carry over into future matches. Play matches, collect cash, kill contestants, interact with game show elements and more to buy cosmetics from your personal prize room, or put some of that sweet cash in your bank to help buy a weapon next match quicker than your opponents. The choice is yours.
  • ...Those Wonderful Toys!: ​Time to get creative. Employ the use of ridiculous gadgets to get the edge on other contestants, ranging from workout trampolines to confetti bombs, inflatable decoys to remote explosives and more. Now that’s entertainment!
  • Survive & Thrive: ​The more you play, the more cash you get and the more FAMOUS you become. Spend that cash on hundreds of items and unlockables you’ll find in the world of Radical Heights, from pink fishnet gloves to parachute pants, custom kill-cards and more. Explore each game, find ‘em, add them to your prize room and then customize to your heart’s content.
  • Help Develop The Game!: ​In “X-TREME” Early Access, you shape the future of Radical Heights. With ongoing content updates, patches and real-time feedback implementation, the community helps guide development decisions during the game’s journey to a future release.

Radical Heights is the FREE PVP Early Access scavenger hunt survival shooter. Partake in high-stakes battle royale gunplay in a sunny SoCal dome as contestants drive-by on a BMX bikes or stalk other contestants from the shadows in search for weapons and prizes...but also CASH ​that you can bank - win or lose! Whether they spend that cash on righteous customization in your personal prize room or pull it from an ATM to purchase weapons early in the next game -- building a wealth of cash is as important as taking down the competition in this irreverent 80’s action game show where everyone wants to be rich and famous.

Players can watch the reveal trailer right here. Radical Heights will launch on STEAM in “X-Treme” Early Access April 10. The title is free-to-play with no gameplay-altering microtransactions. Players can purchase RAD GEMS with real currency to buy in-game cosmetics, or collect in-game cash to purchase when found in the game world. Founder’s Packs of the game will also be available for those who want exclusive items and bonuses not available anywhere else for $14.9

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 15:07 Creston

God almighty this looks like the kind of shovelware garbage some Russian dev crapped together in a week and pushed onto Steam to make 20 bucks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 13:11 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 12:14:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 08:21:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 20:14:
I am not liking that aesthetic. No one is nostalgic for the 80s, so if you're going to use that setting, you'd better do a fantastic job, a la Stranger Things.

Wait, really? 80s nostalgia is huge. HUGE! Much like 50s nostalgia was in the 80s, and 60s in the 90s. Maybe you miss it, but it's pretty much a cornerstone of music, let alone the internet.

Though it's waning a bit for 90s in the past year or so.

This game is made for the Fortnite fans. It seems few people here play Fortnite, but when it came out on iOS, there were endless reports of middle and high schools banning it. Face it, posters here, we're somewhat irrelevant, especially in certain genres. This is one of those genres. This game is not made for a single person here, so all the shitting on it is meaningless.

That said, man, Gears was the only Cliff game with decent art direction (yeah, everyone was a giant dudebro, but go Google a photo of Chris Perna, the art director - the characters were built just like him.) UT looked generic, later ones were worse than generic. Lawbreakers probably failed mostly because of how aggressively unpleasant the art direction was. No character, nothing distinctive, just generic and unpleasant. Even this has a lot of unpleasantness and genericness to it. I mean, it looks like a budget shooter, so you expect generic, but why is it so unpleasant? Compare it to Fortnite, which is distinctive, colorful, and fun.

Well, that's like your opinion, man. Beatnik

True, but everything I stated there is also fact! Especially the ugly design.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 12:14 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 08:21:
I am not liking that aesthetic. No one is nostalgic for the 80s, so if you're going to use that setting, you'd better do a fantastic job, a la Stranger Things.

Wait, really? 80s nostalgia is huge. HUGE! Much like 50s nostalgia was in the 80s, and 60s in the 90s. Maybe you miss it, but it's pretty much a cornerstone of music, let alone the internet.

This game is made for the Fortnite fans. It seems few people here play Fortnite, but when it came out on iOS, there were endless reports of middle and high schools banning it. Face it, posters here, we're somewhat irrelevant, especially in certain genres. This is one of those genres. This game is not made for a single person here, so all the shitting on it is meaningless.

That said, man, Gears was the only Cliff game with decent art direction (yeah, everyone was a giant dudebro, but go Google a photo of Chris Perna, the art director - the characters were built just like him.) UT looked generic, later ones were worse than generic. Lawbreakers probably failed mostly because of how aggressively unpleasant the art direction was. No character, nothing distinctive, just generic and unpleasant. Even this has a lot of unpleasantness and genericness to it. I mean, it looks like a budget shooter, so you expect generic, but why is it so unpleasant? Compare it to Fortnite, which is distinctive, colorful, and fun.

Well, that's like your opinion, man. Beatnik

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

24. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 12:14 jdreyer

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 10:17:
So, despite the terrible trailer, despite the atrocious art, I’m gonna give this game a spin this Thursday. Why? Mostly because it’s free and only costs me some time.

I will likely hate it. But there’s a tiny possibility that they have some clever/hilarious design ideas in it that aren’t conveyed in the trailer.

Let's us know how it goes.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

23. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 12:11 jdreyer

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 04:38:
Honestly, this looks like it was made in the early 00s at best.
And they said they tossed it out in just 5 months. It really looks like that.

Yeah, the graphics and the mocap really look 10 years old. It's like something you'd see on KS by a three man team. I want companies to go out on a limb and try something different, but this isn't it.

22. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 10:17 HoSpanky

So, despite the terrible trailer, despite the atrocious art, I’m gonna give this game a spin this Thursday. Why? Mostly because it’s free and only costs me some time.

I will likely hate it. But there’s a tiny possibility that they have some clever/hilarious design ideas in it that aren’t conveyed in the trailer.

21. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 08:21 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 04:45 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 23:53:
These poor guys. Always a day late and a dollar short.

There are also 2 different types of nostalgia, and Stranger Things has very little to do with the 80ies aside from aesthetics Speech and behavior are modern. It's the best of 2 worlds imo. Kids in the 80ies talking like kids from the 80ies would have been completely alien to a modern audience.

It didnt impress me much. Sure, I watched all the seasons, but I would rather watch GoT 5 times than this again or even the next season. It feels sterile. The characters are stale, bland and artificial for the most part. I normally like rehashed 80s stuff.

But bland artificial characters seem to be the zeitgeist. It started with The Walking Dead and now every second series has characters like that. Writers obviously dont learn much about humans anymore.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

19. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 04:38 Muscular Beaver

Honestly, this looks like it was made in the early 00s at best.
And they said they tossed it out in just 5 months. It really looks like that.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 10, 2018, 03:18 Mordecai Walfish

Leaked transcript portion from BossKey's meetings:

BK: "Jim from the mail room said he had some ideas he wanted to share with us. He was *the* really big fan of our last game, Lawbreakers, so let's give him a second to share his thoughts"

Jim: "Dude, lets do a mash-up of Fortnite, SmashTV and Dave Mirra freestyle BMX with that 80's synthwave look that the hipsters are buying up!"

BK: "That's brilliant! We'll make back the production costs on this turd from the vinyl sales alone!"

"What do I want? I don't really know. Most of the time I ignore my quest and walk into the homes of others, riffling through people's shelves... oooh, like those over there!"

17. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 03:10 jdreyer

PacoTaco wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 02:25:
Looks like this could beat Bad Day LA for the worst game in video game history. Great job lads, you are the best of the worst displacing the great game design god American "Please let me make Alice 3" McGee. I give it about 2 months before the layoffs are announced, the good news maybe some can get jobs back at Epic as they are making good money.

Hard to see how this assessment is wrong.

16. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 03:07 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 23:53:

There are also 2 different types of nostalgia, and Stranger Things has very little to do with the 80ies aside from aesthetics Speech and behavior are modern. It's the best of 2 worlds imo. Kids in the 80ies talking like kids from the 80ies would have been completely alien to a modern audience.

Bummer. It seems like minimal effort. "This is a five month passion project for the studio as we're creating and publishing the game entirely by ourselves." 5-months and it's early access. I'm out...

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

15. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 02:31 DangerDog

I don't have a problem with the 80's theme but I'd prefer it not be through the looking glass of "retarded vision".  

14. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 02:25 PacoTaco

Looks like this could beat Bad Day LA for the worst game in video game history. Great job lads, you are the best of the worst displacing the great game design god American "Please let me make Alice 3" McGee. I give it about 2 months before the layoffs are announced, the good news maybe some can get jobs back at Epic as they are making good money.  

13. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 00:55 Ozmodan

Sad, just sad  

12. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 23:57 Dev

emgarf wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 22:14:
What we -really- want from CliffyB is Jazz Jackrabbit 3.
My brother was a huge fan of JJ, like one of the biggest ones in the community.

11. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 23:53 eRe4s3r

10. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 22:33 RedEye9

They missed April 1st by 8 days.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

9. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 22:25 NotOneOfUs

This is embarrassing.  

8. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 22:14 emgarf

What we -really- want from CliffyB is Jazz Jackrabbit 3.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo