Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time

There's an article on MarketWatch discussing the success of Grand Theft Auto V since the launch of the latest installment in the open world series almost five years ago. This includes interview quotes, but these are not from the developers, but from financial analysts, who talk about the game's unprecedented sales figures. According to these experts, not only has GTA5 earned more revenue than any other video game, it's also made more money than any film or other media release in history:

Since it’s launch in 2013, “GTA V” has sold 90 million units, putting its total haul for publisher Take-Two Interactive Inc. in the neighborhood of $6 billion—far above the success of blockbuster movies like “Star Wars” or “Gone With The Wind,” which both collected more than $3 billion, adjusted for inflation. Even taking into account DVD and streaming sales would not put the biggest movie blockbusters in GTA V’s neighborhood, said Cowen analyst Doug Creutz, estimating those sales might add up to $1 billion to the films’ totals.

“I think it’s a wild outlier,” Creutz told MarketWatch in a phone interview. “I think maybe with the exception something Nintendo has made—Mario Brothers—but aside from that there’s never been a console game that’s sold so many units.”

While the Mario franchise has sold more units in total, no single Mario game has come close to collecting $6 billion on its own. GTA V stands alone largely because of the title’s continued longevity: It continues to bring in hundreds of millions in revenue more than four years after its launch, finishing 2017 as the sixth best-selling videogame in the U.S., according to NPD Group data.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2018, 05:19 LiTh

If its about revenue then World of Warcraft has made more than GTAV. If it's about units sold then Minecraft has sold more. Either way GTAV while successful, is not the most successful of all time.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 10, 2018, 03:00 Mordecai Walfish

Dev wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 00:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 12:26:
Man, to think I actually own this and haven't got a clue where to even download it nowadays (wasn't on Steam nor GoG.. so sod it)
Probably through rockstar directly like mine is. The social club thingy. Probably got it through one of the same sales I got my copy

GmG pre-order for like $42 or $46. Came with a million spacebucks too IIRC

26. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 10, 2018, 00:03 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 12:26:
Man, to think I actually own this and haven't got a clue where to even download it nowadays (wasn't on Steam nor GoG.. so sod it)
Probably through rockstar directly like mine is. The social club thingy. Probably got it through one of the same sales I got my copy

25. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 23:59 Dev

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 11:09:
HoSpanky wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 10:58:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 10:36:
and I still haven't played it..... Laugh2

The story mode is pretty spectacular. I didn’t find the multiplayer very engaging, as the shooting/driving is vastly inferior to more focused titles. If you can get it on sale, the single player is worth going through.

The worst part.... I OWN IT!!!

Just haven't gotten around to playing it! Lol_dies
Shhhhh don't tell anyone, I'm the same way

24. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 19:38 Kxmode

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 17:18:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 16:03:
"PC Gaming is dead."

Based on what the Witcher 3 folks stated ("PC has the longest life cycle" of any gaming platform), we can conclude the same is true with GTA5 and even more so given the vibrant modding community. A console is all about bursty sales and great quarterly profits for Shareholder reports, but PC is where it's at for sustained residuals. That's why PC continues to be the "third" column alongside Xbox and PS4 for most new releases. Case in point, over the long term, Square Enix is going to make a lot of money from sales of Final Fantasy 15 for PC on various distros (Steam, Origin, etc.).

I do think a part of this is the PC having no used market though, as well as full backwards compatibility. There's probably dozens of GTA5 boxes at every Gamestop in the US for $10 or whatever used, but on Steam it's still a big seller every holiday sale for $25. Also it should work on PC gaming rigs 10 or 20 years from now, which isn't as easy to say about the Xbox version.

As consoles dive deeper and deeper into digital distribution and backwards compatibility, something the Xbox One X seems to be having a lot of success with, it will be interesting to see if these differences change. Someone at work randomly mentioned to me the other day he got Deus Ex Human Revolution for his Xbox One on the digital store, something I didn't know Xbox has progressed to so quickly.

Yup. Plus on an upgraded machine there's a huge incentive to finally buy a game like GTA5 that wasn't playable at 60+ FPS with ultra settings in 4K. I bought a ton of old games like that and enjoyed the buttery smooth framerates with extreme settings.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 18:22 CJ_Parker

Pretty sure it's like Witcher 3. A burst of sales on consoles for the first 3-6 months after release. But TONS more on PC thanks to the online and modding components.

Sorry but this is completely incorrect. Go here to page 41, figure 12 and also page 54, figure 15.

There is no such thing as a "TONS more on PC" wrt TW3. In purely relative numbers, the PC has finally matched console sales in 2017 at 50% of the sales. It was at 43% and 31% of sales in 2016 and 2015 respectively.

Yes, the relative PC sales are on the rise at 31% vs. 43% vs. 50% while the consoles totals have declined from 68% to 57% to now 50% in 2017 but that means the consoles are in fact still leading the pack by "TONS more" copies sold in total.

It goes without saying, but as we can see from that figure 15 on page 54, the bulk of sales has happened between Q2/2015 and Q2/2016, i.e. at a time when the relative number of consoles copies sold was much higher than PC copies and when the average sales price was also much higher than today.

So, even IF the trend continues and the PC relatively beats consoles in 2018 with 65% to 35% copies sold or 75% to 25% in 2019 and so on it will not catch up with the consoles because the absolute numbers are on a low level now and will just keep declining.

In revenue there is no chance that the PC will ever catch up with consoles in the next few decades. The consoles have way too much of a headstart with the bulk of the sales activity in 2015/2016 when WAY more total copies were sold to los consoleros at a much higher price than nowadays.

22. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 17:18 StingingVelvet

"PC Gaming is dead."

Based on what the Witcher 3 folks stated ("PC has the longest life cycle" of any gaming platform), we can conclude the same is true with GTA5 and even more so given the vibrant modding community. A console is all about bursty sales and great quarterly profits for Shareholder reports, but PC is where it's at for sustained residuals. That's why PC continues to be the "third" column alongside Xbox and PS4 for most new releases. Case in point, over the long term, Square Enix is going to make a lot of money from sales of Final Fantasy 15 for PC on various distros (Steam, Origin, etc.).

I do think a part of this is the PC having no used market though, as well as full backwards compatibility. There's probably dozens of GTA5 boxes at every Gamestop in the US for $10 or whatever used, but on Steam it's still a big seller every holiday sale for $25. Also it should work on PC gaming rigs 10 or 20 years from now, which isn't as easy to say about the Xbox version.

As consoles dive deeper and deeper into digital distribution and backwards compatibility, something the Xbox One X seems to be having a lot of success with, it will be interesting to see if these differences change. Someone at work randomly mentioned to me the other day he got Deus Ex Human Revolution for his Xbox One on the digital store, something I didn't know Xbox has progressed to so quickly.

21. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 16:03 Kxmode

"PC Gaming is dead."

DangerDog wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 13:38:
Wonder what the split is between PC and consoles, they have to be pulling numbers big enough from PC to justify Red Dead Redemption 2 port, right?

Pretty sure it's like Witcher 3. A burst of sales on consoles for the first 3-6 months after release. But TONS more on PC thanks to the online and modding components.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 15:22 jacobvandy

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 15:01:
I find it strange that a game where you play a thug is the most popular game. I have watched the kids play it and just do not see what is so enthralling about it.

Well, it's a very deep and detailed open-world sandbox where you can do literally whatever you feel like, and there just aren't many viable role-play options for that, given the modern-day setting... It's either you're a criminal or high-level government spook, which are practically the same thing. But if you think the game as it is seems boring, imagine what it'd be like if you actually had to play a law-abiding citizen!

19. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 15:21 Dacron

Frijoles wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 15:05:
I find it strange that a game where you play a thug is the most popular game. I have watched the kids play it and just do not see what is so enthralling about it.

I thought the same thing for a long time. No interest in a driving simulator. Finally bought it on sale. Now it's one of my top games in play time, and one of my favorite. When I'm having a crappy day, I can count on Trevor to cheer me up.

There was a great scene with that voice actor in Better Call Saul. The guy is the voice of him, but looks like Trevor as well. He was also in Westworld, and it's like watching Trevor ni the flesh.

Clip

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

18. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 15:05 Frijoles

I thought the same thing for a long time. No interest in a driving simulator. Finally bought it on sale. Now it's one of my top games in play time, and one of my favorite. When I'm having a crappy day, I can count on Trevor to cheer me up.

17. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 15:05 Pepe

DangerDog wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 13:38:
Wonder what the split is between PC and consoles, they have to be pulling numbers big enough from PC to justify Red Dead Redemption 2 port, right?

Steamspy has it at slightly over 10 million owners, I got it on on sale at GMG and that was via a rockstar social club account not sure how to track that but should at least be viable enough to port it with those nr's.

16. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 15:01 Ozmodan

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2018, 15:01 Muscular Beaver

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 12:53:
Even though it took over a year to show up on PC, this game is perhaps the best port to ever come from console as well. Wish they would have shown the same love to GTA IV on PC, it's still a fucking mess.

For that the controls are far too crappy. So many buttons that wouldnt be needed, if it was done a bit more intelligent. And the thing is, they keep adding more buttons that make no sense. And then you cant even double-assign them.
The spongy walking design is also horrible. I cant count how many times I missed a ladder or door, because the character had to do half a turn instead of just stopping on the spot.
The cancer of consoles...

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

14. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 13:38 DangerDog

13. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 12:55 Creston

Replayed the SP recently, and it's really starting to get long in the tooth. The explosions, especially, are just terrible. The whole thing just felt a little old.

Downloaded some mods to make parts of it better, and it was still very enjoyable (the driving is especially glorious if you're rolling at ~ 100 fps), but I really wish they'd get going with a new game already.

Same for fucking Skyrim. MAKE A NEW GAME ALREADY BETHESDA.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2018, 12:53 Mordecai Walfish

Gta online also has a bunch of story-type missions you can do with groups of 2-4 players that are a great deal of fun and have the excellent production quality of the single player, for the most part. Heists also are fun to play through once or twice. Having a group prepared beforehand will lead to much less frustration when try to play through these though.

Even though it took over a year to show up on PC, this game is perhaps the best port to ever come from console as well. Wish they would have shown the same love to GTA IV on PC, it's still a fucking mess.

11. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 12:35 El Pit

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 10:36:
and I still haven't played it..... Laugh2

It is one of the about 800 titles on my backlist... Oh my.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

10. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 12:26 eRe4s3r

Man, to think I actually own this and haven't got a clue where to even download it nowadays (wasn't on Steam nor GoG.. so sod it).... SP was great, but MP was total shit. I can't believe that this got so much traction, or maybe it's because literally every single time I went into the "open" lobby there were cheaters galore, and crippling bugs.

I uninstalled it after beating it. Oh well Can we just reiterate though that this game is 5 years old? ^^

9. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 12:16 Prez

The $6 Billion doesn't include the microtransacrion money?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo