Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

System Shock Revival Revived

A Kickstarter update from Nightdive Studios has the latest on their plans for a System Shock remake following February's news that development was going on hiatus to reevaluate the project's direction (thanks Task). It seems they've cut some staff, or as they put it, they've said "goodbye to some of the developers that you’ve come to know through past updates," saying this leaves them with "a concentrated team that consists of the original developers who worked on the Unity demo." At the time they took a break, they noted the game's crowdfunding success lead to an expansion of their vision, but now they say they are returning to their original vision to simply modernize the action/RPG. They also offer reassurances they are not starting over. Here's word:
So what does this mean?
It means we’ve gone back to the original vision we shared with you at the start of our Kickstarter campaign - this time with more reliable performance and higher fidelity visuals thanks to the Unreal Engine.

Are we starting over, is this all that’s done?
No, we’re not starting over. We have been able to re-use the majority of work we’ve done over the past year and we’re making significant progress in a very short amount of time. With that said we’ll be inviting our highest tier backers to privately test the game beginning in September at which point we estimate that the game will be fully playable, from start to finish. The majority of the art won’t be finished, but we’ll be ready to start high-level testing.

What else is changing?
Along with the return to the previous art style and overall direction, the audio department is also re-re-re-examining their priorities, and drawing new conclusions.
View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 18:07 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 04:05:
The Kickstarter people mostly want just System Shock working on a modern OS - looking as buttugly as the classic game and without a single bit of different gameplay, story, and so on. To me it sounds like the order was "Just make System Shock work on a modern OS and then DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING". Not my cup of tea, to be honest. But if that is what the kickstarters got promised and what they wanted, then Nightdive has to deliver exactly this.

Well, no, they want SS1 but with a more modern presentation. If you just want to play SS1 on modern OSes, you can just buy System Shock Enhanced.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 18:07 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 19:27:
Creston wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 18:30:
Glad they're going back to just doing a remake. This "Re-envisioning" thing they were sliding into had my hackles up. Who are you to re-envision one of the greatest games of all time? Keep your hands off.

Yeah, it worked out terribly for XCom.

Thing is though, there's been a bunch of remakes for xcom (yes I realize the sarcasm in your post, but discussing the point of remakes vs re-imagining).

They have ranged from completely faithful remakes, to complete reimaginings from various companies under various names, including some kickstarters.

I am glad though that firaxis did a good job and it was repaid with success.

But anyway, there haven't been a bunch of similar things for system shock. So yeah, I think a close remake is a good first move.

28. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 16:21 jdreyer

Bub wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 07:14:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 19:26:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 18:26:
Project creep descoping is always a plus in my book. The current iteration of the game through the alpha video is excellent and I'm glad they are going back to that. That's what we want. System Shock with modern graphics.

Well, you're going to get the bonus plan, baby:
- Full character generator
- Exocraft that allows you to land on Earth and explore a fully realized solar system
- Fully realized future Earth, complete with cities, NPCs, economies, missions.
- Facial capture that will display your facial movements on your player character.
- Coop mode: play through the campaign with a friend!
- Battle Royale mode: play with up to 31 other people on Citadel station in ever shrinking concentric circles that finishes in the central core!
- Much, much more!

I see what you did there, good one.

It was the facial capture that gave it away wasn't it?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

27. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 11:38 HorrorScope

MattyC wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 05:17:
The Kickstarter people mostly want just System Shock working on a modern OS - looking as buttugly as the classic game and without a single bit of different gameplay, story, and so on. To me it sounds like the order was "Just make System Shock work on a modern OS and then DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING".

I hope that isn't what they were asking for. If it was, someone should have just pointed them to DOSbox. It has supported system shock for ages now.

System Shock 2 is more in need of love there.

Right, that isn't enough for me at all. The GFX and UI have to be updated.

26. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 11:30 HorrorScope

Hump wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 14:55:
to be honest, I thought the Unity demo looked fine. I'm more interested in capturing the feel of the original rather than see them spend too much time on graphics detail.

anyhoo, good to see them back on track.

Right. It's terribly dated graphically doesn't mean it has to be drop-dead for today. A good update there and to UI and you got me.

25. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 08:55 Bumpy

With the disorganization and very rocky start, I just don't see this ending up well.

Playing the original with mouse control inside Dosbox works like a charm.

As another poster said, go play Prey if you want a modern System Shock.

24. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 07:14 Bub

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 19:26:
Project creep descoping is always a plus in my book. The current iteration of the game through the alpha video is excellent and I'm glad they are going back to that. That's what we want. System Shock with modern graphics.

- Exocraft that allows you to land on Earth and explore a fully realized solar system
- Facial capture that will display your facial movements on your player character.
- Battle Royale mode: play with up to 31 other people on Citadel station in ever shrinking concentric circles that finishes in the central core!
- Much, much more!

I see what you did there, good one.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

23. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 05:49 StingingVelvet

MattyC wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 05:17:

Doesn't the GOG version of SS2 work perfectly? I didn't finish it but played quite a lot and it worked great. Haven't seen any complaints. Maybe the Steam version is different, there are a handful of titles where GOG actually did some important compatibility work.

22. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 05:17 MattyC

The Kickstarter people mostly want just System Shock working on a modern OS - looking as buttugly as the classic game and without a single bit of different gameplay, story, and so on. To me it sounds like the order was "Just make System Shock work on a modern OS and then DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING".

I hope that isn't what they were asking for. If it was, someone should have just pointed them to DOSbox. It has supported system shock for ages now.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2018, 05:39.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

21. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 04:05 El Pit

The Kickstarter people mostly want just System Shock working on a modern OS - looking as buttugly as the classic game and without a single bit of different gameplay, story, and so on. To me it sounds like the order was "Just make System Shock work on a modern OS and then DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING". Not my cup of tea, to be honest. But if that is what the kickstarters got promised and what they wanted, then Nightdive has to deliver exactly this.
People looking for a modern game with quite a bit of System Shock running through its veins can try Prey (2017) or the Bioshock games.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

20. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 02:40 MattyC

I was more interested in their release of the Mac (though any version would have interested me) source code. I was worried they were not going to end up letting it go.

Build engine source and now System Shock source... tiny me from the past would be quite jealous.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

19. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 8, 2018, 01:41 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 22:41:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 19:16:
Who are you to re-envision one of the greatest games of all time?
They hold the rights to the series, they CAN do it if they want to

I'm sure that rights-wise, someone could paint another Mona Lisa, or another Nightwatch. Doesn't mean they should.

If they want to re-envision it, they should make a new game. Not redo the first one.

Kind of a weird analogy since those paintings get reproduced/re-imagined all the time. They're just not popular.

18. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 7, 2018, 22:41 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 19:16:
Who are you to re-envision one of the greatest games of all time?
They hold the rights to the series, they CAN do it if they want to

I'm sure that rights-wise, someone could paint another Mona Lisa, or another Nightwatch. Doesn't mean they should.

If they want to re-envision it, they should make a new game. Not redo the first one.

17. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 22:40 Creston

Glad they're going back to just doing a remake. This "Re-envisioning" thing they were sliding into had my hackles up. Who are you to re-envision one of the greatest games of all time? Keep your hands off.

Yeah, because Firaxis and Jake Solomon remaking a game is obviously exactly the same as some complete unknowns re-envisioning System Shock with Kickstarter money.

16. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 20:51 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 20:44:

What? X-Com Enemy Unknown is one of the best in the franchise..

Yeah, I was trying to be sarcastic.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 20:44 Simon Says

What? X-Com Enemy Unknown is one of the best in the franchise..

14. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 19:29 DangerDog

now watch them make everything look like it's a cartoon with a custom shader.  

13. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 19:27 jdreyer

12. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 19:26 jdreyer

- Much, much more!

11. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 19:21 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 7, 2018, 15:39:
Ah, someone's in a Hungarian mood today.

Never go Hungarian.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >