Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Bond Future Unclear Due To MGM Sale is the latest drama surrounding the Bond franchise. You may already be aware this is a significant topic for me, with how frequently I discuss it. I see the good news here that the series is in much better shape after the Daniel Craig era than at other critical points in the past, so I don't think there's any danger of it ending, though of course there's also the concern that quality could fall off (again). The critical part of this seems to be the hope to get production underway for Bond 25 by the end of the year, so hopefully uncertainty about the studio's ownership and management will be cleared up by then.

R.I.P.: Luscious Johnny Valiant killed after being struck by truck.

Uncertain Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Operate Now: Hospital Surgeon.
Link: Hallmark Has a Talking, Glowing HAL 9000 Ornament Headed for Your Christmas Tree. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: "Rogue One" Scribe Resurrects "Last Starfighter."
More dogs die on United than on any other airline. Here’s why. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Center Of The Milky Way Has Thousands Of Black Holes, Study Shows. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: First Trailer: Gilliam's "Man Who Killed Don Quixote."
WhatsApp in the '80s.
This Chicken is Entirely Black, From Beak to Bone.
Follow-up: The Hobbit: Battle of Five Studios (Part 2/2).

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 23:42 Kxmode

Finished Life Is Strange Before the Storm. Excellent! The ending of of the final episode broke me last night in light what happens to a major character in the first Life Is Strange. Music as always was spectacular. I highly recommend it. Together, both LIS create a complete experience that is worth your time. Thumbsup  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 18:38 Mr. Tact

TheBigVlad wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 18:28:
You reminded me that I need to get around to watching The Sopranos.
Me too. I started once a few years ago.. I think I was about halfway through the first season but I managed to get distracted (a common failing for me) haven't managed to get back to it yet...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 18:35 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 17:34:
Prezident Dipshit no longer has a choice on whether to fire Scott Pruitt or not because the rectangle thing with people in it who talk to him told him stuff; Fox News Exposed Scott Pruitt as the Ultimate Swamp Creature. Live by the idiot box die get fired by the idiot box.
When I saw a clip of the Pruitt interview my very first thought was, "So much for Ed Henry's career at Fox." Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable effect.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 18:28 TheBigVlad

Hoop wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 17:32:
I finished The Sopranos a couple of days ago & just loved re-watching it.

You reminded me that I need to get around to watching The Sopranos. I've never watched the show (well, I did watch the first episode but that's it) which is strange because I've always enjoyed gangster movies. I don't watch a lot of TV shows but I loved Breaking Bad and a few others. In a weird way I feel intimidated to start watching it because 6 seasons is a lot to get through so I feel like it's going to eat up a lot of my time, but of course that's silly because I can pace the viewings out however I want. Maybe I'll try to get a few episodes in this weekend.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 18:26 1badmf

Rigs wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 17:14:
Flatline wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 13:32:
I'm actually fine with a Last Starfighter reboot. I love the original but it's actually a movie I wouldn't mind seeing a different take on.

If it had the same commitment to art quality that Rogue One had I'd squee pretty hard. Plus, as much as I love the movie, the story was pretty simplistic and could use development.

I mean, it's just Excalibur in space. Centauri even says "I didn't use the Excalibur test this time, I used something called a video game" or something along those lines. Excalibur is the Starfighter's symbol. There's plenty of room for a reinterpretation.

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Lance Guest as Alex as the admiral/commander of the Starfighter fleet. Kind of roll with the establishment of the "round table" if we're talking in Arthurian analogs still.

I do love Rogue One and think Gareth Edwards did an awesome job. He really retained that Star Wars feel. If he can do the same (assuming he directed it) or Gary Whitta can keep the same feel and energy of the first, than I'm fine with having a sequel/soft-reboot. The reason I'm hesitant is that it very rarely ends up being that way and usually these things crash and burn, even with the best of intentions. The only one besides Rogue One I can think of that did it right was TRON: Legacy, though I will also admit to really liking the last Star Trek movie, Beyond. It felt like an episode of the original series, for sure. It wasn't too serious in spite of itself, like Into Darkness, which I didn't care for at all, except for the soundtrack. If they can do it right, more power to them. If they get it wrong, I'mma be pissed!

=-Rigs-=

don't give edwards too much credit. apparently rogue one was a wreck when he left the project and the guy they brought in basically rewrote and shot the second half of the film. the guy that played crennick said that there's an edwards cut of the film that's massively different from the theatrical cut.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:34 RedEye9

Prezident Dipshit no longer has a choice on whether to fire Scott Pruitt or not because the rectangle thing with people in it who talk to him told him stuff; Fox News Exposed Scott Pruitt as the Ultimate Swamp Creature. Live by the idiot box die get fired by the idiot box.

Top Pruitt aide Resigns from EPA amid controversies
Here's to rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. If you are not familiar with the Titanic it's because it sank.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:32 Hoop

I finished The Sopranos a couple of days ago & just loved re-watching it. First time through was on a flat screen crt back in the day, needless to say widescreen improves it.
Unusually for me I had forgotten absolutely everything. No I lie I remembered the last shot of the last episode, but getting there was such a treat.
It was interesting seeing the cast grow in confidence revelling in the chance to properly flesh out their characters as it's success became apparent post first season.
After eight or so seasons I did not find one dud episode.
Things that surprised me or I had forgotten.
The quality of Juniors performance, also how this steadied the ship & held the whole thing together as both cast & writers found their feet for the first season & a half.
The fact Juniors arc carried so far through the whole thing.
Janice's involvement & how they used her as a catalyst to move things in a new direction. (amazing performance by her)
James Gandolfini...the man, rip. What can you say but he out Brando'd Brando for physicality & presence in every line delivered.
By the second or third season they enhance the sound of his breathing & breath, an inspired device to indicate his tension & stress at that moment.
So many truly great performances, Pauly, Ritchie, Carmella, Tony Blundetto, Artie Bucco the list goes on.
In a sea of sloppy writing & 'B grade acting you have to be grateful & happy that every once in a while lightning strikes.
I also loved, loved Breaking Bad & for a more recent recommendation of top shelf writing mixed with high octane performances try Masters of Sex.

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:14 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 13:32:
I'm actually fine with a Last Starfighter reboot. I love the original but it's actually a movie I wouldn't mind seeing a different take on.

If it had the same commitment to art quality that Rogue One had I'd squee pretty hard. Plus, as much as I love the movie, the story was pretty simplistic and could use development.

I mean, it's just Excalibur in space. Centauri even says "I didn't use the Excalibur test this time, I used something called a video game" or something along those lines. Excalibur is the Starfighter's symbol. There's plenty of room for a reinterpretation.

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Lance Guest as Alex as the admiral/commander of the Starfighter fleet. Kind of roll with the establishment of the "round table" if we're talking in Arthurian analogs still.

I do love Rogue One and think Gareth Edwards did an awesome job. He really retained that Star Wars feel. If he can do the same (assuming he directed it) or Gary Whitta can keep the same feel and energy of the first, than I'm fine with having a sequel/soft-reboot. The reason I'm hesitant is that it very rarely ends up being that way and usually these things crash and burn, even with the best of intentions. The only one besides Rogue One I can think of that did it right was TRON: Legacy, though I will also admit to really liking the last Star Trek movie, Beyond. It felt like an episode of the original series, for sure. It wasn't too serious in spite of itself, like Into Darkness, which I didn't care for at all, except for the soundtrack. If they can do it right, more power to them. If they get it wrong, I'mma be pissed!

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:07 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:03:
Center Of The Milky Way Has Thousands Of Black Holes, Study Shows.

That place must be crazy with all those overlapping gravitational fields. I'd hate to have to live there.

Not to mention the radiation and time dilation issues.

It would probably be like a real life version of the TNG episode where those aliens inhabit the Romulan singularity drive core and end up shattering the space-time around them, causing space time to run at different rates in bubbles scattered around the two ships? Or being stuck in a time-loop like that other episode with Frasier? Geezus, our universe is going to end up being a real life GalaxyQuest only with Star Trek.

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:06 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:24:
Is Bond still relevant?

More than ever in the face of Big Brother groupthink identity politics.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 14:37 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:03:

That place must be crazy with all those overlapping gravitational fields. I'd hate to have to live there.

Not to mention the radiation and time dilation issues.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 14:35 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 10:58:
Part 2 of The Hobbit post mortem. sweet

Just discovered it yesterday and instant sub for me. What a great channel! And yeah, I watched part 1 and 2 in 1 sitting. Extremely interesting

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 14:24 jdreyer

Is Bond still relevant?  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 14:03 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 13:55 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 11:59:
Mike Myers reprises his role as Dr. Evil Gets Fired from tRump's Cabinet
EVIL Zuckerberg 2020

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 13:32 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 12:22:
"Rogue One" Scribe Resurrects "Last Starfighter."

No! Leave it alone! Can't these guys just leave some things be? It's fine the way it is. We don't need a freakin' reboot/remake/prequel. I don't care how good the concept art looks!

Having said that, the concept art, for some crazy reason, really gives me a No Mans Sky vibe. Weird.

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 13:26 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 12:49:
To anyone interested, Legion season 2 started airing this week on FX.
I'd like them to rebroadcast the first season... I watched the first couple of episodes but then got distracted. They are not available via "FX on demand", at least not through my Dish TV...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 12:49 PHJF

To anyone interested, Legion season 2 started airing this week on FX.

What a weird show.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 12:22 Rigs

"Rogue One" Scribe Resurrects "Last Starfighter."

No! Leave it alone! Can't these guys just leave some things be? It's fine the way it is. We don't need a freakin' reboot/remake/prequel. I don't care how good the concept art looks!

Having said that, the concept art, for some crazy reason, really gives me a No Mans Sky vibe. Weird.

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 12:00 Cutter

Yeah, not sure about Gilliam's flick there. Don Quixote is one of my favorite tales. Gilliam has always been hit or miss for me. I much prefer his straight comedic work to his overly symbolic gestures.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo