Valve Addresses Steam Machines

A post by Valve's Pierre Loup seeks to keep us in the loop on the status of Steam Machines after it was recently noticed that Valve removed the link to the program from the Steam menu. Initially this takes the tone of a correction, but it sounds like presumptions that they are moving away from Steam Machine branded PCs running their Linux-derived SteamOS are accurate, as their discussion of Linux gaming focuses on Vulkan support and other initiatives. Here's word:
We've noticed that what started out as a routine cleanup of the Steam Store navigation turned into a story about the delisting of Steam Machines. That section of the Steam Store is still available, but was removed from the main navigation bar based on user traffic. Given that this change has sparked a lot of interest, we thought it'd make sense to address some of the points we've seen people take away from it.

While it's true Steam Machines aren't exactly flying off the shelves, our reasons for striving towards a competitive and open gaming platform haven't significantly changed. We're still working hard on making Linux operating systems a great place for gaming and applications. We think it will ultimately result in a better experience for developers and customers alike, including those not on Steam.

Through the Steam Machine initiative, we've learned quite a bit about the state of the Linux ecosystem for real-world game developers out there. We've taken a lot of feedback and have been heads-down on addressing the shortcomings we observed. We think an important part of that effort is our ongoing investment in making Vulkan a competitive and well-supported graphics API, as well as making sure it has first-class support on Linux platforms.

Recently we announced Vulkan availability for macOS and iOS, adding to its existing availability for Windows and Linux. We also rolled out Steam Shader Pre-Caching, which will let users of Vulkan-based applications skip shader compilation on their local machine, significantly improving initial load times and reducing overall runtime stuttering in comparison with other APIs. We'll be talking more about Shader Pre-Caching in the coming months as the system matures.

At the same time, we're continuing to invest significant resources in supporting the Vulkan ecosystem, tooling and driver efforts. We also have other Linux initiatives in the pipe that we're not quite ready to talk about yet; SteamOS will continue to be our medium to deliver these improvements to our customers, and we think they will ultimately benefit the Linux ecosystem at large.

In general, and if you have any questions or feedback on the topics above, feel free to reach out to me at pgriffais@valvesoftware.com.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines
Apr 5, 2018, 08:29
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 5, 2018, 08:29
Apr 5, 2018, 08:29

Sepharo wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 02:30:
If you think 4 years of development is a long time for Valve, well then buddy you don't know Valve.
/thread
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Apr 5, 2018, 02:30
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 5, 2018, 02:30
Apr 5, 2018, 02:30

gommerstrike wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 23:16:
chickenboo wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 18:50:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 18:12:
afka Rossini wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 12:33:
Make Half-Life 3 a SteamOS exclusive. Problem solved.
All it does these days is copy Blizzard, with games like Dota 2 and Artifact.

Isn't Dota 2 based on what was originally a mod for Warcraft 3? Didn't Valve hire the team behind that mod to create Dota 2? How then are they copying Blizzard?

As for Artifact, they hired the designer/creator of Magic The Gathering for this new game. So sure, they are making a card game, but there were computer-based card games before Hearthstone came along, and arguably they hired the granddaddy of card games to make this one. I'm not buying the Blizzard-copying angle here.

Personally I'm not waiting for HL3. I'll play it if it ever releases, but at this point expectations are so high (and gamers are so petty and hopelessly entitled) that the game would have to be literally the very best game ever conceived or it would be ripped to shreds by journalists, youtube, gamers, and fans. So I have little hope they're really working on it despite all the clamor for it.

I played through Black Mesa and HL2 recently. Black Mesa totally holds up and I loved every minute. HL2 though, while fun, doesn't hold up as well in my opinion: I had more fun playing Doom 2016.

Gabe can say it all he likes about the idea behind Artifact pre-dating Hearthstone, but well Gabe that's suuuure a long idea you had there. Heartstone was released March 11, 2014. So 4 years later, they have Artifact in development?

But hey. I'm sure it'll become a great card game. Just be advised that is likewise competing against the grand-daddy of all card games - Magic the Gathering: Arenas.

If you think 4 years of development is a long time for Valve, well then buddy you don't know Valve.

Apr 4, 2018, 23:16
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 23:16
Apr 4, 2018, 23:16

chickenboo wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 18:50:

Isn't Dota 2 based on what was originally a mod for Warcraft 3? Didn't Valve hire the team behind that mod to create Dota 2? How then are they copying Blizzard?

As for Artifact, they hired the designer/creator of Magic The Gathering for this new game. So sure, they are making a card game, but there were computer-based card games before Hearthstone came along, and arguably they hired the granddaddy of card games to make this one. I'm not buying the Blizzard-copying angle here.

Personally I'm not waiting for HL3. I'll play it if it ever releases, but at this point expectations are so high (and gamers are so petty and hopelessly entitled) that the game would have to be literally the very best game ever conceived or it would be ripped to shreds by journalists, youtube, gamers, and fans. So I have little hope they're really working on it despite all the clamor for it.

I played through Black Mesa and HL2 recently. Black Mesa totally holds up and I loved every minute. HL2 though, while fun, doesn't hold up as well in my opinion: I had more fun playing Doom 2016.

Gabe can say it all he likes about the idea behind Artifact pre-dating Hearthstone, but well Gabe that's suuuure a long idea you had there. Heartstone was released March 11, 2014. So 4 years later, they have Artifact in development?

But hey. I'm sure it'll become a great card game. Just be advised that is likewise competing against the grand-daddy of all card games - Magic the Gathering: Arenas.

Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
Apr 4, 2018, 23:12
Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 4, 2018, 23:12
Apr 4, 2018, 23:12

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:20:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 11:11:
Tech alone does not sell. You keep on supporting Vulkan, which is nice, but it WILL NOT BOOST Linux as gaming platform or the usage of SteamOS.

Valve has to invest in MARKETING Linux or SteamOS as a gaming platform. When nobody knows what you have, why should it become more popular?
I could not disagree more. They tried to sell the hell out of Steam Machines initially and it got them no where. They first need to make the technology viable so Linux gaming is not gimped from the start. Then the community will solve the rest of the problems for them. Right now, there are some things that only Valve can do well here, and that's what they are focusing on. Good strategy, IMO.

So the community will just act as a massive word of mouth and sell Steam machines?

When did they try to "sell the hell" out of Steam machines? Were there ads everywhere? Radio? TV? Bus stops? Everywhere I saw a Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo ad, I should have spotted a Steam one, right?

Nope.

Apr 4, 2018, 22:46
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 22:46
Apr 4, 2018, 22:46

They won't. They've already said that. Exclusives are terrible for all gamers, and go against the Linux way of life.

Apr 4, 2018, 18:50
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 18:50
Apr 4, 2018, 18:50

Apr 4, 2018, 18:39
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 18:39
Apr 4, 2018, 18:39

A better idea would be to make Half-Life 3 free on SteamOS / with Steam Machines and available at a cost for Windows users. That way those that are motivated by cost can have it for free and experience SteamOS whilst those not interested can simply buy it. Another option would be to release an updated Steam Controller and bundle Half-Life 3 with it, which would get the controller into millions of people's hands.

Half-Life 3 could be used by Valve to get SteamOS into most homes just like Half-Life did with Steam itself but Valve is so utterly inept at following through with game development that it probably won't ever happen. All it does these days is copy Blizzard, with games like Dota 2 and Artifact.
Great idea.

Apr 4, 2018, 18:12
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 18:12
Apr 4, 2018, 18:12

A better idea would be to make Half-Life 3 free on SteamOS / with Steam Machines and available at a cost for Windows users. That way those that are motivated by cost can have it for free and experience SteamOS whilst those not interested can simply buy it. Another option would be to release an updated Steam Controller and bundle Half-Life 3 with it, which would get the controller into millions of people's hands.

Half-Life 3 could be used by Valve to get SteamOS into most homes just like Half-Life did with Steam itself but Valve is so utterly inept at following through with game development that it probably won't ever happen. All it does these days is copy Blizzard, with games like Dota 2 and Artifact.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Apr 4, 2018, 15:12
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 15:12
Apr 4, 2018, 15:12

Making Linux more mainstream sure would be nice. Lindows took at stab at it, then Microsoft went nuts.

Apr 4, 2018, 13:40
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 13:40
Apr 4, 2018, 13:40

El Pit wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 13:24:

The Half-Life problem would be solved. Forever. It wouldn not sell.

Yeah, "problem solved" indeed. All it would do is create more problems for Valve; namely bookkeeping. Oh good, we just invested millions into this game that nobody will ever see. gg.

Apr 4, 2018, 13:24
El Pit

Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 13:24
Apr 4, 2018, 13:24
 El Pit

The Half-Life problem would be solved. Forever. It wouldn not sell.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Apr 4, 2018, 13:22
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 13:22

That sounds cute, but it ain't reallity.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

El Pit

Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 4, 2018, 13:22
 El Pit

Valve has to invest in MARKETING Linux or SteamOS as a gaming platform. When nobody knows what you have, why should it become more popular?

Marketing alone won't help. SteamOS would also become just about as accessible and user friendly as Windows. Marketing can't fix this.

Apr 4, 2018, 13:20
El Pit

Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 13:20
Apr 4, 2018, 13:20
 El Pit

Steam machines aren't dead, they just smell funny!

Apr 4, 2018, 13:01
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 13:01
Apr 4, 2018, 13:01

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 12:36:
If Valve was truly serious, they would work with publishers directly and cover part of the cost of publishing a title so it wasn't seen as a risk by those publishers. They certainly have the money to do so.

Edit to add: As well as work with devs to use engines that have native Linux build queues. It's not wise to co-finance a project using the Dunia engine, for example.
But isn't this exactly what they are doing? EA isn't going to hand over their Frostbite engine code and ask valve to optimize it for them. EA/Ubisoft/etc are going to want a way to port their tech over, but they will need low level optimizations so their games don't run like shit. The effort for them to do that is cost prohibitive. Valve is trying to fix that problem. Linux may not be a huge cash cow, but Macs could be. The good news is that any efforts to support mac natively will most likely trickle down to Linux.

Apr 4, 2018, 12:36
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 12:36
Apr 4, 2018, 12:36

If Valve was truly serious, they would work with publishers directly and cover part of the cost of publishing a title so it wasn't seen as a risk by those publishers. They certainly have the money to do so.

Edit to add: As well as work with devs to use engines that have native Linux build queues. It's not wise to co-finance a project using the Dunia engine, for example.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2018, 12:49.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Apr 4, 2018, 12:33
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 12:33
Apr 4, 2018, 12:33

"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Apr 4, 2018, 11:21
Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 11:21
Apr 4, 2018, 11:21

Note, you can still find steam machines in Steam by browsing under the Hardware tab to Controller, Link, or Vive, and then from there clicking the All Hardware link on the left. I'm in Canada and as of this morning there were still Steam Machine listings.

I think it was a good initiative and Steam can always put them back up and do round 2 should Microsoft propel them to do so once again. As for me, I use Windows because it plays *all* of my games. I could dual boot to Ubuntu or something but I don't hate Windows enough to do so, and then I wouldn't be able to play The Witcher 3 and many other titles.

Apr 4, 2018, 11:20
Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 4, 2018, 11:20
Apr 4, 2018, 11:20

Tech alone does not sell. You keep on supporting Vulkan, which is nice, but it WILL NOT BOOST Linux as gaming platform or the usage of SteamOS.

I could not disagree more. They tried to sell the hell out of Steam Machines initially and it got them no where. They first need to make the technology viable so Linux gaming is not gimped from the start. Then the community will solve the rest of the problems for them. Right now, there are some things that only Valve can do well here, and that's what they are focusing on. Good strategy, IMO.

Apr 4, 2018, 11:11
Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 4, 2018, 11:11
Apr 4, 2018, 11:11

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older