Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients

Blizzard announces plans to drop support for DirectX 9 and 32-bit clients in Heroes of the Storm this summer. They say that most of those playing their MOBA are using the 64-bit client under DirectX 11 or higher, but apologize to those affected by this. They recommend everyone upgrade, and also note there may also be potential problems with DirectX 10 (or as we prefer, DirectX X). Here's word:
In the coming months, we’re planning to end support for DirectX9 and the 32-bit version of the Heroes of the Storm client. DirectX has had several major releases since DX9, and the vast majority of players in the Heroes community are now running the 64-bit version of the game, along with DirectX11 or higher.

Once support ends, Heroes of the Storm will no longer run for players who are attempting to use the 32-bit game client or DirectX9. Please also note that while the 64-bit Heroes client might still be playable on some machines using DirectX10, this may not be the case for all configurations, which is why we recommend that all our players upgrade to at least DirectX11.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you‘re not already using the 64-bit Heroes of the Storm client and DX11 or higher, we encourage you to consider making the switch prior to July of this year, which is when we aim to go live with the planned changes.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients
Apr 6, 2018, 05:58
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 6, 2018, 05:58
Apr 6, 2018, 05:58

From what I understand, listening to talks about the development of DirectX12, it was made with backwards compatibility in mind and to be somewhat future-proof, for posterity, with "new shinies" always able to fall back to less demanding (thus more compatible) alternative rendering techniques. So, it is very true that it can be scaled because the programmers themselves said it. You wouldn't be arguing with just me about it, although, this was a number of years ago now. The issue then is not the API itself or the programmers working on the technology itself, but how such compatibility may conflict with certain commercial interests, if it means less people throwing cash at new hardware. I'm convinced of that. Is that Halo 2 would ONLY work on Vista for purely hardware reasons, was it "we just HAD to do that", or was it to just sell more copies of Vista? How did that turn out? Remember?
I personally am not interested in constantly throwing out all of my hardware and buying everything new, such so the new eyelash-physics and raytraced reflections in the forehead-sweat will work, or the game will refuse to work at all. At this point, I'm convinced it's being done on purpose, simply because it conflicts with executive interests and their revenue streams, and sure, also saves money on paying programmers extra to make the extra tweaks to make everything more compatible.

Apr 6, 2018, 05:22
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 6, 2018, 05:22
Apr 6, 2018, 05:22

LDAsh wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 05:03:
We should all be listening to what 'internet-dudes' think it means, none of which have tried to give their own definition yet.

Why are you discussing things on an online game forum if you don't care what 'internet-dudes' think? At any rate, new API features are not about scale. This goes from the GPU level to the API and OS. You are not asking for scale, you are asking for everything going forward to be backwards compat, and that isn't realistic. Please pick a few examples of DX11+ features and tell me how you think we could simply 'scale' them into DX9 hardware. I feel like we are just going to have to agree to disagree, here...

LDAsh wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 05:03:
And _again_, I'm not talking necessarily about DX9 now, I'm talking about DX11 and Windows 7 support, into the future, when we'll go through all of this yet again.

That is part of working with technology. You are always going to have to go through it all again. There is always a new shiny and someone always has a new idea.
"M'aiq tried to swim out to sea, but had to turn back. Slaughterfish. Always the slaughterfish."

Apr 6, 2018, 05:03
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 6, 2018, 05:03
Apr 6, 2018, 05:03

Yes... me and all the other AAA developers who have used the word "scalability". We all have no idea, we should all be listening to what 'internet-dudes' think it means, none of which have tried to give their own definition yet. I'm sure it does mean different things in different fields, but in game development, it means expanding compatibility through user-defined options, like I mentioned below. If it means something different for you because you have some other career, then fair enough. One person's orange is another person's 'yellowy-red'.

And _again_, I'm not talking necessarily about DX9 now, I'm talking about DX11 and Windows 7 support, into the future, when we'll go through all of this yet again.

Apr 6, 2018, 00:14
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 6, 2018, 00:14
Apr 6, 2018, 00:14

LDAsh wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 03:25:
In 2002, DirectX 8 was still mostly the norm. I'm not too sure there were any games that were strictly using 9, even in 2003 when games like 'Thief - Deadly Shadows' and 'Deus Ex - Invisible War' came out, they weren't _strictly_ DX9, there were compatibility modes for those games. Doom3 probably marks the beginning, at least in my mind.
The "era", I would say, then is somewhere between 2004-2008. I might even say 2009, when Windows 7 was released, thanks to the trainwreck called Vista.
I look at shots from this game and can put them up side-by-side with games that came out ~10 years ago, and yeah, I'm not seeing anything surprising, honestly.

My whole point is - hate on XP and 32bit and DirectX9 all you want to, (a bit late because) that's already over, but get ready for it to happen again with Windows 7 and DirectX11. What would solve this is called "scalability". It used to be a thing.

This is not intended to be snarky, but no one is going to go out of their way to wedge in support for your ancient and decrepit Windows XP DX9 code base that even Microsoft wrote off forever ago. It just isn't going to happen.

The games in question don't matter. If you need to see what changed you should look at the API documentation. Barring that, you can go here.

I think you are confused on what scaling means.
"M'aiq tried to swim out to sea, but had to turn back. Slaughterfish. Always the slaughterfish."

Apr 5, 2018, 03:25
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 5, 2018, 03:25
Apr 5, 2018, 03:25

In 2002, DirectX 8 was still mostly the norm. I'm not too sure there were any games that were strictly using 9, even in 2003 when games like 'Thief - Deadly Shadows' and 'Deus Ex - Invisible War' came out, they weren't _strictly_ DX9, there were compatibility modes for those games. Doom3 probably marks the beginning, at least in my mind.
The "era", I would say, then is somewhere between 2004-2008. I might even say 2009, when Windows 7 was released, thanks to the trainwreck called Vista.
I look at shots from this game and can put them up side-by-side with games that came out ~10 years ago, and yeah, I'm not seeing anything surprising, honestly.

My whole point is - hate on XP and 32bit and DirectX9 all you want to, (a bit late because) that's already over, but get ready for it to happen again with Windows 7 and DirectX11. What would solve this is called "scalability". It used to be a thing.

Apr 5, 2018, 01:48
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 5, 2018, 01:48
Apr 5, 2018, 01:48

LDAsh wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 20:46:
Satoru wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 07:45:
Do you know what this word means? Because your continued misusage indicates you don't
In software terms, scalability means increasing compatibility by providing options to "scale" features concerning performance, such as lowering the resolution of textures and their compression so the game would run on a GPU with less texture memory, etc. That's just one surface example, but it goes a lot deeper than that.
You're welcome to your own interpretation and also very welcome to claim I'm crazy and stupid, I don't care what "internet dude" says, but this isn't my definition of scalability, it's what I've heard AAA developers talk about.

It is just removing what was already deprecated. It doesn't look like a game from the DX9 era... Those are games that came out ~2002. Feel free to look them up.

At any rate, letting XP / 2002 versions of DirectX lapse seems pretty logical at this point. I can't speak for the person you were replying to, but I am not saying you are crazy, just that I don't think you really understand what you are saying. Feel free to Google some images of games from that era and please fill me in on the similarities, but I certainly don't see them.

As a Blizzard game is is already incredibly adjustable to scale and welcome to a wide variety of systems. That has always been their way. However, they are't going to support an API that will soon be 20 years old and that no one else supports. I am also curious what AAA developers are talking about 32 bit DX9 code for the future.

^ If any of the above sounds hostile, sorry, that was not my intent. It is more intended to convey bafflement.

Apr 4, 2018, 20:46
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 4, 2018, 20:46
Apr 4, 2018, 20:46

Satoru wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 07:45:
Do you know what this word means? Because your continued misusage indicates you don't
In software terms, scalability means increasing compatibility by providing options to "scale" features concerning performance, such as lowering the resolution of textures and their compression so the game would run on a GPU with less texture memory, etc. That's just one surface example, but it goes a lot deeper than that.
You're welcome to your own interpretation and also very welcome to claim I'm crazy and stupid, I don't care what "internet dude" says, but this isn't my definition of scalability, it's what I've heard AAA developers talk about.

Re: Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds?
Apr 4, 2018, 12:19
Re: Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds? Apr 4, 2018, 12:19
Apr 4, 2018, 12:19

Hanneth wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 22:52:
And Blizzard is offering full refunds to those that cannot meet the new requirements right?
I personally have never bought, or played it, but if anyone's computer does not match the new minimum requirements, by law, they are required to to offer a full refund of the price the person paid, or some way to play the game in another way.
There is already case presidence for this.

It's a free to play game.
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Apr 4, 2018, 10:55
Re: Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds? Apr 4, 2018, 10:55
Apr 4, 2018, 10:55

And Blizzard is offering full refunds to those that cannot meet the new requirements right?
I personally have never bought, or played it, but if anyone's computer does not match the new minimum requirements, by law, they are required to to offer a full refund of the price the person paid, or some way to play the game in another way.

Which is it, case precedent or law? Is there a specific law? Citing case precedent if there is a law makes it sound like you failed law 101.

Edit: I failed spelling. Sue me.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Apr 4, 2018, 09:57
Re: Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds? Apr 4, 2018, 09:57
Apr 4, 2018, 09:57

HOTS is free to play. So I guess they’ll totally give you back your non-payment. Any micro transactions made in game are lost, same as when a FTP online game shuts down.

Those complaining that the game “looks dx9”...the changes made since 9 have been mostly performance-based. HOTS looks pretty damn good, and holds to its intended visual style. It’s supposed to look good but also very clearly convey what’s happening. I think a lot of people associate visual clutter with “better graphics”.

Apr 4, 2018, 07:45
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 4, 2018, 07:45
Apr 4, 2018, 07:45

LDAsh wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 05:15:

I wasn't talking about XP/32bit/DX9 in general (only that _this_ game looks like it belongs there), that's long done and dusted, but moreso about as we move into the future, I really hope to see more scalability with software and avoid being herded into a pen by companies like Microsoft, when Windows 7 gets killed off.

But again what does this have to do with 'scalability'. How is Microsoft deprecating an OS 'herding people into a pen'. How is that related to 'scalabilty' by the necessity of needing to support an outdated OS and API model? Those have nothing to do with 'scalability'. Do you know what this word means? Because your continued misusage indicates you don't

Apr 4, 2018, 05:15
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 4, 2018, 05:15
Apr 4, 2018, 05:15

Satoru wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 01:33:
I fail to see how deprecating an OS that the vendor itself no longer supports and which 98% of your customer base is compatible with is has anything to do with 'scalabilty'.

I wasn't talking about XP/32bit/DX9 in general (only that _this_ game looks like it belongs there), that's long done and dusted, but moreso about as we move into the future, I really hope to see more scalability with software and avoid being herded into a pen by companies like Microsoft, when Windows 7 gets killed off.

Apr 4, 2018, 02:56
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 4, 2018, 02:56
Apr 4, 2018, 02:56

Hopefully from now on, everyone (both game programmers and hardware/OS vendors) will work together to have scalability in mind from day one whenever they attempt to create something.

Sure that's gonna happen sure sure ....ohh that's why every gamer on spysteam have a straw planted in there rear end all that juicy data and info regarding hardware so that games will be.....ahh never mind

Apr 4, 2018, 01:33
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 4, 2018, 01:33
Apr 4, 2018, 01:33

LDAsh wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 20:14:
I'm sure there are other games to play that don't require a whole new PC just to get the thing launched, even though otherwise the system could run the game without issues.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

only like 2% of users on Steam are on a non 64-bitor non XP system. The idea that entire swaths of people are somehow still on 32-bit or still on XP is now a fantasy.

Hopefully from now on, everyone (both game programmers and hardware/OS vendors) will work together to have scalability in mind from day one whenever they attempt to create something.

I fail to see how deprecating an OS that the vendor itself no longer supports and which 98% of your customer base is compatible with is has anything to do with 'scalabilty'.

Apr 4, 2018, 01:21
Re: Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds? Apr 4, 2018, 01:21
Apr 4, 2018, 01:21

Please feel free to quote actual precedent rather than just you know declaring it exists with zero references

And if you're gonna bring up OtherOS for the PS3 that isn't relevant here so try again

Apr 4, 2018, 01:18
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 4, 2018, 01:18
Apr 4, 2018, 01:18

This must be primarily driven by the fact that China has predominantly moved to DX11 compliant OS and cards. China used to be one of hte last bastions of XP to the point that UE4 had to keep supporting XP.

Last year it was around 15% XP in china. Now its 4.79%.

Given PUBG's massive popularity, its pretty obvious even China as a whole has moved of off XP, making supporting 32-bit and DX9 moot, since its no longer necessary for the Chinese market

Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds?
Apr 3, 2018, 22:52
Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds? Apr 3, 2018, 22:52
Apr 3, 2018, 22:52

Apr 3, 2018, 22:36
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 3, 2018, 22:36
Apr 3, 2018, 22:36

Frijoles wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 20:35:
SC2 is starting to feel the same way.

Both Heroes (which is derived from SC2) and SC2 are running on an engine released 8 years ago. I think the little touches and polish they have added keep it looking quite nice all things considered. Plus I guess this is the competition...

Apr 3, 2018, 20:35
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 3, 2018, 20:35
Apr 3, 2018, 20:35

LDAsh wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 20:14:
Looking at the game, it looks like something from DX9 era anyway...

This is why I don't play anymore. I login and just feel like I'm on a mobile game. I don't think it was that bad when it launched, and I played a ton back then. SC2 is starting to feel the same way.

Apr 3, 2018, 20:14
Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 3, 2018, 20:14
Apr 3, 2018, 20:14

Looking at the game, it looks like something from DX9 era anyway... that's what I don't quite get about it.
It's more of a cost-cutting measure to save a bit of coding-time supporting a wider range of hardware. I'm sure there are other games to play that don't require a whole new PC just to get the thing launched, even though otherwise the system could run the game without issues.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older