Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

R.I.P. Steam Machines?

It seems the era of the Steam Machine is drawing to a close, not with a bang but with a whimper, after arguably failing to pick up much steam. GamingOnLinux noticed that at some point Valve removed the Steam Machines entry under the hardware tab on Steam (thanks VG247). We are still able to visit this Steam Machines page on Steam, and remaining vestiges of the program like the Alienware Steam Machine are still listed there. However, this resolves to an Alienware Alpha Mini Gaming PC page full of miniPCs running Windows 10, rather than SteamOS. Most of the other entries are similarly altered, though the Syber Steam Machine listing still leads to their Steam Series PCs, which do offer the Linux-based SteamOS.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: 007bistromath@gmail.com Apr 3, 2018, 09:56 HorrorScope

007Bistromath wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 19:18:
This is really bad news. We need something like Steam OS as a hedge against Windows getting any worse. If people aren't adopting it...

In the case Windows had to be mass abandoned, I think Unix and these boxes have proven they could carry the torch if push came to shove. Sure there will be a period of transition, but over a few years it would be built up and prime time. I think the o/s and boxes have proved a point... they could if called upon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 3, 2018, 01:11 DangerDog

Maybe by 2020 Microsoft will kill off the desktop portion of Windows, I think they'll start locking it behind a "Pro version" paywall, kind of like Windows S they wanted to push.

Don't have the urge to switch right now though.

30. Re: 007bistromath@gmail.com Apr 3, 2018, 00:39 Slick

It's funny, since SteamOS was announced I'm pretty sure Microsoft Studios have released more games than Valve has, and still Steam is still the undisputed juggernaut gaming store, while the Windows store is still a joke.

The sky didn't fall, crazy!

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

29. Re: 007bistromath@gmail.com Apr 3, 2018, 00:00 Slashman

The apocalypse didn't happen and now we have all these underground bunkers that no one wants. Sweatdrop  

28. Re: 007bistromath@gmail.com Apr 2, 2018, 21:45 YourNick

Ya they should just focus on Steam for Linux and Steam for Windows, be hardware and OS agnostic.  

27. Re: 007bistromath@gmail.com Apr 2, 2018, 20:10 RedEye9

007Bistromath wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 19:18:
This is really bad news. We need something like Steam OS as a hedge against Windows getting any worse. If people aren't adopting it...
You don't need Steam OS. You can install Steam on Linux without using their Debian based OS.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If Youíre Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

26. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 20:08 Ant

Turglar wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 18:32:
Take a page from M$ and announce Half-Life 3 as a steamOS exclusive!
Yeah! Same for other games. Remember when id Software released its qtest86 first for Linux? And then, Mac OS X, and then Windows?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. 007bistromath@gmail.com Apr 2, 2018, 19:18 007Bistromath

24. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 18:53 dubfanatic

Zoom wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 16:48:
the OS is much more secure and less prone to self destruction than the pile of shit layered upon historical piles of shit that is Windows.

This may have been true in the WinXP era and prior but a properly-administered Win7 or Win10 install is no less secure than Linux. Of course if you do dumb shit like disable UAC and click on any old email attachment then you're going to have problems, but that's true with Linux too. Most of Linux's security issues aren't in the kernel itself but in the other programs and services that run in it. Look at the shitshow that has been OpenSSL for an example.

And those "layered historical piles of shit" are what make it so you can still run 20-year-old games on a x64 Win10 machine. Try running one of Loki Software's old ports on a modern Linux distribution.

23. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 18:32 Turglar

Take a page from M$ and announce Half-Life 3 as a steamOS exclusive!  

22. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 17:15 Steele Johnson

I feel like 99% of the gaming community predicted its demise the day it was announced.  

21. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 16:48 Zoom

DangerDog wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 15:17:
I don't think the Linux community is open to the idea of making it more user friendly though.
That, and the platform segmentation. For starters the linux community see their baby as a pure "business, serious" OS and gaming is definitely in the "not serious" category (nevermind it brings billions of dollars to the table or heaps of development for drivers and peripheral...).
Everytime someone mentions trying to tidy up a distribution in order to make a consistent, user friendly gaming platform, it takes huge tons of flak from the community and they fork it over at best, ignore it totally at worst. See Ubuntu. The community will never agree on a usable, tightly controlled (and thus consistent) user platform. That's why it's running your bank servers, your internet services, your cloud, but not your gaming machine. It does run your smartphone only because there's an actual platform around it (Android).
So yeah as long as the community will consider gaming as a futile distraction, and not as the serious business it ought to be, linux will be a small note in the margin of desktop market.
It's really too bad because the OS itself is solid, running Ubuntu for gaming is really solid too, games that are native to it (or ported without a wrapper) run really well (granted, using nVidia or Intel only), and the OS is much more secure and less prone to self destruction than the pile of shit layered upon historical piles of shit that is Windows.

20. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 16:26 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 15:17:
I don't think the Linux community is open to the idea of making it more user friendly though.

This. Generally, Linux users relish the user-unfriendliness. Itís a badge of honor for them, then they wonder why the world looks at Linux, shrugs, and forgets all about it.
Back when Quake3 came out, iD made a big deal about a same-time Linux release, sold on store shelves. It sold miserably. The world was watching and the Linux community failed to prove they were worth making games for. That was the last time I can recall anyone truly taking the OS seriously.
It doesnít matter how stable or powerful it is if no one makes anything for it. Some companies throw them a bone here and there, but Linux and its community will be second class citizens forever.

19. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 16:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 10:40:
Solus OS. It makes gaming on Linux as easy as it can possibly be. One click driver installs for AMD and Nvidia hardware, Steam has been optimized to run flawlessly on it, and there's even an integration service that gets installed along with Steam that eliminates the headaches that other distros have with Steam. Plus, Solus is fast. Damn fast. On an SSD, my systems have a sub-3 second boot time before I am at the user login. Budgie as a desktop blows pretty much other DE out of the water it terms of ease of use and user familiarity. Software Center is stupidly easy to use and is laid out in a way that is easy for users of any knowledge level to understand. Plus, it already has all the codecs you could ever want to play any kind of media you throw at it.

Interesting, I'll try Solus OS on one of my machines at some point. I've been using Mint, and it's not too bad with Steam, and performs flawlessly for everything else non-game wise, but actual performance in some games seems to be terrible... driver support in Linux for video cards is still way behind, and/or some developers have gotten their games barely working in Linux and called it a day, at least for Mint compatibility.

Is SteamOS dead with this announcement, or what?

18. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 15:46 Cutter

El Pit wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 11:35:
Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 11:25:
Until Linux looks like and as is as easy to use as Windows it'll always remain niche.

QFT Linux is not even trying to compete with windows until it can be used as conveniently without background knowledge as "the OS from hell" Windows.

Exactly. You think of just how Window is to use and that's still not easy enough for people. Otherwise consoles wouldn't exist.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

17. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 15:17 DangerDog

Valve should have thrown their influence and power behind propping up Linux as a viable game platform, not forking it into an amalgamation of yet another closed console system.

I know some companies have braved financial ruin to try to prop up gaming on Linux but they'll never get there until someone provides a reason to throw off the yoke of Microsoft. If Adobe ported their products to Linux that would be a huge step towards that goal.

16. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 14:42 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 14:21:
Pepe wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 12:30:
Valve can semi easily fix this, all they have to do is release HL2 ep3 on steamos only followed 6 months to 1 year later by HL3 (as long as they don't suck)

I think that's one of Valves big misstakes with these machines, they did not bring out new games for it themselves.

And risk to get the same heat that Microsoft and Sony get for their console exclusives? To risk the goodwill of the gamers? I doubt it.
Sure they get heat, but they also sell consoles. The term 'killer app' exists for a reason.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

15. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 14:21 El Pit

Pepe wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 12:30:
Valve can semi easily fix this, all they have to do is release HL2 ep3 on steamos only followed 6 months to 1 year later by HL3 (as long as they don't suck)

I think that's one of Valves big misstakes with these machines, they did not bring out new games for it themselves.

And risk to get the same heat that Microsoft and Sony get for their console exclusives? To risk the goodwill of the gamers? I doubt it.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

14. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 12:30 Pepe

NKD wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 11:38:
Lately I've been thinking that the main problem with Linux gaming is that they missed the boat and that the gaming industry is too big and has too much money involved to allow for a competitor to Windows. No matter how good or performant they make Linux gaming, it just won't happen unless Microsoft completely ruins Windows for gaming somehow.

There was an opportunity early on, when teams and budgets were smaller and publishers weren't so unwilling to experiment. But now these companies feel they can't afford to take the leap and spend money developing for a platform with such a small install base and hoping people move over.

There's very little financial incentive to support Linux gaming, and it has no big time backers now that Valve seems to be abandoning it.

It's just the old Catch 22 problem.

13. Re: R.I.P. Steam Machines? Apr 2, 2018, 12:24 Slashman

These were a solution to a non-problem. Needless paranoia...  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo