Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report on the 10 bestselling titles on Steam for last week. This list is literally 60% Far Cry 5, but we've seen enough wonky repeats here in the past that we're hesitant to label this an April Fools gag.

1. Far Cry 5
  2. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Far Cry 5
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. PixARK
  8. Far Cry 5
  9. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  10. Far Cry 5
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 18:57 Steele Johnson

Alamar wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 15:38:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 15:23:
Wait... this isn't an April Fools' gag? Far Cry 5 is really selling that well?!

Wow... well I'll definitely be interested when the GotY version goes on sale, but it looks like more of the same.

What sequel isn't more of the same? And why is that considered bad?

Because gamers like me expect a developer to "one up" the game before it, and not just in graphics and sound. The problems with a lot of sequels these days is that they just change the skin, add a different story, and tweak the same ol' features (Mass Effect: Andromeda ugh). Far Cry 5 is the perfect example of tweaking rather than making gameplayer better. That's why I'll pick it up on sale a couple years from now. I'm kind of surprised that it's selling so well... must have been the dumbing down that made it more appealing to the casual gamer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 17:41 Leper

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 08:18:
I love Far Cry 5 for one reason; not only do I get to mow down religious zealots, but I am encouraged to do so.

It makes me feel like I am bringing back sanity, reason, and logic...one kill at a time.

Too bad they aren't wearing MAGAT hats. Someone should make a mod, but I'm sure that would get the head MAGAT's panties in a wad.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 14:47 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 13:33:
You want actual sales numbers and transparency from Valve, who do you think you are.
Actually I'd be happy with just a Top 10 list which makes sense, without any sales figures. Just knowing the order of the list would be fine with me.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 13:33 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 10:17:
They really need to find a solution to this nonsense with their Top 10...
You want actual sales numbers and transparency from Valve, who do you think you are.
The top ten was a spreadsheet developed by an unpaid Valve intern in 2006, they ain't gonna touch it until it breaks.

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 10:17 Mr. Tact

They really need to find a solution to this nonsense with their Top 10...  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 09:57 MacLeod

I'm starting to believe that Valve just puts CS:GO on this list no matter what... I find it hard to believe that FC5 managed to knock out most every other title off the list, but the game that was in 9th place last week, somehow still remains and all the titles above it are mostly gone.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 08:20 Darks

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 08:18:
I love Far Cry 5 for one reason; not only do I get to mow down religious zealots, but I am encouraged to do so.

It makes me feel like I am bringing back sanity, reason, and logic...one kill at a time.

LOL, yea that does bring a smile to my face

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 08:18 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 07:36 Numinar

warmbluelasers wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 20:58:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 19:13:
The only thing I dislike about FC5 are the actual skills/abilities/passives that you unlock. Most of them just aren't very interesting. Many just increase your ammo capacity or make some minor changes to weapon handling. Those should be weapon upgrades, not things you spend skill points on. AC:O had a similar issue. It seems that Ubisoft just isn't very good at making interesting skill trees.

I agree. I think they're comfortable with keeping mass-market appeal with bland perks. I do miss my Owl/Drone from Primal/Wildlands though.

It's a difficult balancing act, and AC:O which I love played it very safe and it sounds like FC5 did as well. But I think the idea is don't hide the best traversal and fun gameplay mechanics behind hours of grinding. That said games have done this well in the past, but it's not trivial.

AC:O kind of walked back the initial approach of having set levels for areas and enemies in later patches because everyone was over-leveling it (But you also don't want to force people to do sidequests). Previous AC games have jumped around from zelda style gear progression, RPG lite stuff and just giving you the full toolset from the get go with maybe some weapons to buy as you go. Witcher 3 was better for this stuff but that was also their 3rd attempt at that style of loot and progression, or 5th if you take into account the re-balance stuff the first two Witcher games got.

Now Steamworld Dig 2, that game gets progression right! Without making the gameplay before the upgrades suck you feel like a digging jetpacking god by the end. But it's been a while since I've seen it done super well in a big AAA game. Maybe Saints Row 4 with the traversal Stuff, or Far Cry 3.

Really liking not have to worry about that shit in Sea of Thieves, and to an extent Breath of the Wild, but a nice power climb fantasy is fun as well.

I wish some of these backseat game designers would start making/modding games and get into these big studios and do it perfectly like they make out they could.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 02:06 GinRummy

Warskull wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 18:05:
The three editions can account for three of them if counted separately.
And since they often count pre-release sales of games different than the released version, that makes six. So I guess one of them didn't make the top ten. They must be so sad.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2018, 00:29 jdreyer

warmbluelasers wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 18:17:

The AI is still crap, the followers repeat the same handful of lines way too often, and constantly talk over important dialogue (how does that pass playtesting?)

That's not how it works. All the bugs are known, but the bean counters make a determination of "good enough" and throw it out the door.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 20:58 warmbluelasers

Jerykk wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 19:13:
The only thing I dislike about FC5 are the actual skills/abilities/passives that you unlock. Most of them just aren't very interesting. Many just increase your ammo capacity or make some minor changes to weapon handling. Those should be weapon upgrades, not things you spend skill points on. AC:O had a similar issue. It seems that Ubisoft just isn't very good at making interesting skill trees.

I agree. I think they're comfortable with keeping mass-market appeal with bland perks. I do miss my Owl/Drone from Primal/Wildlands though.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 19:13 Jerykk

warmbluelasers wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 18:17:
I like the changes they've made to zone progression over 4/Primal. Crafting is just about gutted and replaced with cash and perk points. If crafting was a huge deal for you, may want to pass on this one. I didn't care for the upgrades crafting, but I don't feel like perk points are an improvement.

The AI is still crap, the followers repeat the same handful of lines way too often, and constantly talk over important dialogue (how does that pass playtesting?), and the guns are pretty much the same selection from 4. Oh, and the dog isn't as good as the one from MGS5, which this one is almost a complete copy of. But at least the dog doesn't constantly talk over dialogue like a toddler.

That said I'm having fun. A friend gifted me the preorder. Would I have paid $60 straight up? Probably not. I'd have gone for $40 though.

I think the perk points system is good. It encourages you to explore (since you can find perk point magazines) and try different things (since you get perk points for completing various challenges).

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 19:06 Darks

Rhett wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 18:47:
I haven't laughed this much at a game (Far Cry 5) in a long time. It's mostly due to the outrageousness of the game, or its bugs in coop (which are mostly just hilarious, not bad bugs). I mean look at this gif. What even happened there?

It's also 20% off if you make a new account at Green Man Gaming, and use code: NEW20

Was gonna wait for at least a 50% off sale, but I don't really regret my purchase. It has some cool new features, even if it does feel like a reskinned Far Cry game. The game is beautiful too. Ubisoft is getting really good at making beautiful landscapes (even if garbage at QA).

Odd, I have over 37 hours into this game and I've never seen that happen. But weird. bugs do happen. The games been really good. the story is pretty goo too. best looking game out to date for sure.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 18:47 Rhett

I haven't laughed this much at a game (Far Cry 5) in a long time. It's mostly due to the outrageousness of the game, or its bugs in coop (which are mostly just hilarious, not bad bugs). I mean look at this gif. What even happened there?

It's also 20% off if you make a new account at Green Man Gaming, and use code: NEW20

Was gonna wait for at least a 50% off sale, but I don't really regret my purchase. It has some cool new features, even if it does feel like a reskinned Far Cry game. The game is beautiful too. Ubisoft is getting really good at making beautiful landscapes (even if garbage at QA).

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 18:17 warmbluelasers

I like the changes they've made to zone progression over 4/Primal. Crafting is just about gutted and replaced with cash and perk points. If crafting was a huge deal for you, may want to pass on this one. I didn't care for the upgrades crafting, but I don't feel like perk points are an improvement.

The AI is still crap, the followers repeat the same handful of lines way too often, and constantly talk over important dialogue (how does that pass playtesting?), and the guns are pretty much the same selection from 4. Oh, and the dog isn't as good as the one from MGS5, which this one is almost a complete copy of. But at least the dog doesn't constantly talk over dialogue like a toddler.

That said I'm having fun. A friend gifted me the preorder. Would I have paid $60 straight up? Probably not. I'd have gone for $40 though.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 18:16 Osc8r

Quite enjoying FC5, it just seems like a much better wildlands.

Co-op is a little buggy though, and the netcode syncing is off.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 18:05 Warskull

The three editions can account for three of them if counted separately.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 17:24 eRe4s3r

Alamar wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 15:38:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 15:23:
Wait... this isn't an April Fools' gag? Far Cry 5 is really selling that well?!

Wow... well I'll definitely be interested when the GotY version goes on sale, but it looks like more of the same.

What sequel isn't more of the same? And why is that considered bad?

probably because if you played one you played them all? Aside that, if you like Far Cry then why not play 5? Seems fun enough

But obviously it's bad, because it shows Ubisoft lacks any creativity.. or maybe rather the balls to push for something new or unique. But then again, whether that's bad is really subjective.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2018, 15:50 Orogogus

Alamar wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 12:45:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 12:15:
If only those other Far Cry 5's could of had the strength of the Far Cry 5 that took down pubg, a day that will live in infamy. There's no rolling that boulder back on this easter.

I was telling my daughter about how crazy popular PUBG has been... Selling like 35 MILLION copies...

She's like... But what about Minecraft... So ya...

According to Wikipedia Minecraft's at 144 million as of January, apparently the second best selling game ever, behind Tetris. But it's not on Steam so you'll never see it go head-to-head in the charts. And about half of PUBG's sales are in China. In the rest of the world, PUBG would probably have fallen off the top-selling lists by now, especially if you had some way to count non-Steam sales of other titles.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >