Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1

Shroud of the Avatar Website announces the launch of Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, episode 1 of this spiritual successor to Ultima Online, Richard Garriott's seminal MMORPG. The update is extremely lengthy, kicking off with a bit on what's new for early access players. There's also a free trial for Windows, macOS, and Linux, and you can sign up for that here. Here's word on what to expect:
Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is a new type of third person fantasy RPG that combines a single player narrative with a sandbox MMO. It is being created by a team that includes:Richard “Lord British” Garriott the creator of the Ultima series, Starr Long the original Director of Ultima Online, and Tracy Hickman the author of the beloved Dragonlance Novels and Dungeons & Dragons modules.

• Episodic Content: Shroud of the Avatar will consist of five episodes that will tell a series of virtue based stories created by Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman. All supported by a series of prequel novels starting with Blade of the Avatar.
  • Single Player Offline Mode: Players will adventure through over 40 hours of story in an interactive world where their choices have consequences, ethical paradoxes give them pause, and they play a vital part in weaving their own story into the immersive world and lore surrounding them.
  • Selective Multiplayer Modes: If you want to go through the story online you can play with everyone in three different online modes (Single Player, Party Only, and Open).
  • Classless Character System: Vast customization options with hundreds of skills and spells in over 20 different skill trees.
  • Skillful Combat: A new way to prepare and fight in an RPG by building custom decks of skills and dynamically activating them in combat.
  • PVP: Consensual with Open PVP flags, zones, and Guild Warfare.
  • Player Housing: Non-instanced, finite, and embedded in the world with group living options.
  • Player Driven Economy: Deep crafting system where the best items are made by players and player items are the main source of loot found in the game.
  • Pay Once to Play: No subscription fees. Each episode is a one time fee and everything in the game can be purchased with in game gold that can be earned (except for some exclusive backer rewards).
  • Social: Full Guild System, Highly Active Community and Player Owned Towns.
  • Crowd Sourced & Funded: Support the project by purchasing items in the add-on store or participate in telethon stretch goal exclusive item events! These online enabled add-ons and pledge items are also available to all players in offline mode.
  • Open Development: Players help shape the game by giving feedback on monthly early access releases, videos, weekly updates, blog postings, forums, chat, etc.

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1
Mar 30, 2018, 07:20
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 30, 2018, 07:20
Mar 30, 2018, 07:20

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 21:32:
Linthat22 wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 20:10:
Oh dude, don't get me started on that game. At the time, that game was the whole reason my wife and I got matching systems. Then it was released and the reviews showed how none of the stuff in the lead up to release made it and it was essentially a shitty game. We were so bummed. I think GFW Radio did a great synopsis of that game.

But my thing is, he's on his own versus NCSoft telling him what to do. Figured he might've matured a bit.

I saw it from the inside out. There was no way it was ever not going to be a piece of shit.

NCsoft didn't tell Garriot to do anything and that was the problem. He was allowed to wander aimlessly, reboot the game internally twice, and blow through more money than you can imagine. If it were not for Lineage II subs in SK and the Guild Wars sales figures, NCsoft would have been bankrupted by Tabula Rasa.

Great insight, thank you!

Mar 30, 2018, 07:19
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 30, 2018, 07:19
Mar 30, 2018, 07:19

hello newman wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 02:02:
@Burrito
"Which is meaningless when Ultima 8 was dogshit, Ultima 9 was dogshit, Tabula Rasa was dogshit, and Shroud of the Avatar is seemingly dogshit as well."

Ultima 8 was not dogshit. I remember it as being darker and creepier than the past Ultimas. Remember the head chopping at the beginning ? That impressed me as a kid They just tooks the game somewhere else. Artists are expected to stray from repetiveness.

Ultima 9 was not dogshit. Seamless 3D engine, enourmous land size for the time, placeble objects, waving 3D water, day/night cycle, wonderful music, and so much more. Are you f**in kidding me ?! Ultima 9 influenced games like Gothic and all 3rd person RPGs like that.

Tabula Rasa. Welp...

I got the CD release version when Ultima 8 came out and it was garbage. No team, shitty jumping controls, convoluted story, and doing not so Avatar bullshit. Nah, that game was garbage.

Mar 29, 2018, 02:02
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 29, 2018, 02:02
Mar 29, 2018, 02:02

@Burrito
"Which is meaningless when Ultima 8 was dogshit, Ultima 9 was dogshit, Tabula Rasa was dogshit, and Shroud of the Avatar is seemingly dogshit as well."

Ultima 8 was not dogshit. I remember it as being darker and creepier than the past Ultimas. Remember the head chopping at the beginning ? That impressed me as a kid They just tooks the game somewhere else. Artists are expected to stray from repetiveness.

Ultima 9 was not dogshit. Seamless 3D engine, enourmous land size for the time, placeble objects, waving 3D water, day/night cycle, wonderful music, and so much more. Are you f**in kidding me ?! Ultima 9 influenced games like Gothic and all 3rd person RPGs like that.

Tabula Rasa. Welp...

Mar 29, 2018, 00:55
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 29, 2018, 00:55
Mar 29, 2018, 00:55

Creston wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 19:32:
So it's episodic now too? Fuck me.

I guess at least my 35 bucks got me near-weekly email updates that showed what a fucking trainwreck clusterfuck this has been.

Entertainment value.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Mar 29, 2018, 00:42
Kxmode

Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 29, 2018, 00:42
Mar 29, 2018, 00:42
 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 21:36:
Which is meaningless

Ultima Online birthed the MMORPG market, so no, it is not meaningless. UO is important in gaming history and Richard Garriott created that. Just like I dog Star Citizen but I won't bash Robert's gaming history.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 28, 2018, 21:36
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 21:36
Mar 28, 2018, 21:36

Kxmode wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 18:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 13:45:
Linthat22 wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 12:51:
Imagine if Richard had the funds and the team like for Star Shitizen!

He did...and he made Tabula Rasa with it.

He also made Ultima Online.

Which is meaningless when Ultima 8 was dogshit, Ultima 9 was dogshit, Tabula Rasa was dogshit, and Shroud of the Avatar is seemingly dogshit as well.

The fact that his last successful title came out 21 years ago should be a confirmation, not a rebuttal.

At any rate, your comment would very much fall under the auspices of the phrase "damning with faint praise."
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Mar 28, 2018, 21:32
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 21:32
Mar 28, 2018, 21:32

Linthat22 wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 20:10:
Oh dude, don't get me started on that game. At the time, that game was the whole reason my wife and I got matching systems. Then it was released and the reviews showed how none of the stuff in the lead up to release made it and it was essentially a shitty game. We were so bummed. I think GFW Radio did a great synopsis of that game.

But my thing is, he's on his own versus NCSoft telling him what to do. Figured he might've matured a bit.

I saw it from the inside out. There was no way it was ever not going to be a piece of shit.

NCsoft didn't tell Garriot to do anything and that was the problem. He was allowed to wander aimlessly, reboot the game internally twice, and blow through more money than you can imagine. If it were not for Lineage II subs in SK and the Guild Wars sales figures, NCsoft would have been bankrupted by Tabula Rasa.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Mar 28, 2018, 20:10
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 20:10
Mar 28, 2018, 20:10

Mar 28, 2018, 19:32
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 19:32
Mar 28, 2018, 19:32

So it's episodic now too? Fuck me.

I guess at least my 35 bucks got me near-weekly email updates that showed what a fucking trainwreck clusterfuck this has been.

Mar 28, 2018, 19:13
Rigs

Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 19:13
Mar 28, 2018, 19:13
 Rigs

Sooo, anyone wanna take a crack at my question or are we staying on topic this one time for some crazy unknown reason?

=-Rigs-=

Mar 28, 2018, 18:22
Kxmode

Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 18:22
Mar 28, 2018, 18:22
 Kxmode

He also made Ultima Online.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 28, 2018, 13:45
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 13:45
Mar 28, 2018, 13:45

Mar 28, 2018, 13:19
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 13:19
Mar 28, 2018, 13:19

On other forums people calling this another Richard Garriot money pump. I've avoided reading about this game because of my Ultima Online nostalgia itch.

Mar 28, 2018, 12:51
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 12:51
Mar 28, 2018, 12:51

Mar 28, 2018, 12:39
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 12:39
Mar 28, 2018, 12:39

Very disappointing, frankly. Episode 1--Garriott is looking for a cash cow to keep him in the $$ for as long as possible, and the amazing thing is that he has often said that very thing himself. I cannot recall if the original KS campaign even mentioned "episodes"--or if this was something that came later after the "successful" KS campaign.

Downloading the demo now to take a look.

Edit: Demo doesn't let me look at offline mode at all, and from what I can see of the online mode it's taking elements from Skyrim (dragons), NWN (menu style), D:OS2 (mirror for character build). Looks like Garriott is taking things he likes from a range of already successful RPGs and attempting to blend them into this.

Look's like he wants $39 per "Episode"--It is very difficult to say because of the vague wording of the store presentation. "Access to Full Game" either means online and offline, or else it means all of the upcoming "Episodes." Store really doesn't say.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2018, 13:18.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Mar 28, 2018, 11:36
Cutter

Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 11:36
Mar 28, 2018, 11:36
 Cutter

Yeah, tried it for an hour or so last night and it's pretty bad. The only thing it has going for it is the crafting system.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Mar 28, 2018, 10:37
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 10:37
Mar 28, 2018, 10:37

jdreyer wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 04:32:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 22:24:
I can't stand it. It reminds me of one of those free iPad games with the shit graphics that got ported to Steam. UI/Controls are garbage, animations and graphics are terrible. The whole starter area was full of "wtf". Bugs. Think I did the $100 package too. This is the "game" that swore me off of ever using Kickstarter again. That's not even addressing the microtransactions.

You can take solace in the fact that you made Richard Garriott richer.
Richer Garriott?

Mar 28, 2018, 06:19
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 06:19
Mar 28, 2018, 06:19

What, yet another shitty MMO from Garriot and company? Say it ain't so! This is completely unprecedented!

Mar 28, 2018, 04:32
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 04:32
Mar 28, 2018, 04:32

Frijoles wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 22:24:
I can't stand it. It reminds me of one of those free iPad games with the shit graphics that got ported to Steam. UI/Controls are garbage, animations and graphics are terrible. The whole starter area was full of "wtf". Bugs. Think I did the $100 package too. This is the "game" that swore me off of ever using Kickstarter again. That's not even addressing the microtransactions.

You can take solace in the fact that you made Richard Garriott richer.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Mar 28, 2018, 03:27
Rigs

Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 03:27
Mar 28, 2018, 03:27
 Rigs

So, ok, if this isn't the end all, be all, which MMO currently available do you recommend to get the same (or similar) feel? I've actually been considering Runescape but, eh, there's apparently a lot of baggage that comes with that game and it's been around forever, so I definitely missed the veteran boat. I really want to be a part of a newer MMO that has these kinds of features. Any ideas?

=-Rigs-=
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older