Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Sea of Thieves Content Plans

IGN has a statement from Rare following up on a story they posted discussing player concerns over lack of content in Sea of Thieves, the newly launched nautical adventure. Word is they will move beyond their focus on "delivering a great initial experience" (which arguably went for naught) with more cosmetic options and more gameplay content:

"Sea of Thieves is designed from the ground up to be a game that grows and evolves, and we will release new cosmetic options ongoing as part of that, alongside new mechanics and ways to play. Our focus for launch is on delivering a great initial experience, and as we move beyond launch we will be assessing and reacting to player feedback across all areas of the game. We have worked with our community throughout the development of Sea of Thieves, and that will continue in exactly the same manner beyond launch."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 23, 2018, 15:00 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 20:40:
Quinn wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 20:08:
My theory is that this game was meant to be a lootbox store, its shallow gameplay being nothing more than a front for said store.

Then the Battlefield fiasco happened.

Now we have a game stripped bare of its quick-buck "content".

Nail, meet hammer.

Pot, meet kettle.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 23, 2018, 07:59 Bub

As a not involved bystander, SOT looks like a Team Fortress mod with Ships and one large mostly featureless map.  

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

14. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 23, 2018, 00:59 Numinar

I'm loving it but I'm cycling between in and Vermintide, which has all that lovely so called 'content' in it that I sometimes want a break from.

The prices for cosmetics and the lack of variety are disappointing. Maybe as I rank up the quests will pay out more but so far it will take me a few nights just to get a decent fucking hat.

Friends and rivals are hard to recognize as other ships at sea all have white sails, and later on if they grind enough there is still only half a dozen or so choices. Black flag's ship customization was better than this.

That said I am so glad this thing exists. It scratches that Elite Dangerous/Euro Truck Simulator itch. But with really good co-op. I plan on getting an XBOXS with this next time they go cheap on amazon/ebay so I can sail around the Sea of Theives with my daughter, introduce her to random internet friends and see how she reacts to people screaming FUCK YOUR MOTHERS at her. For now we have to take turns which is not quite as fun.

Got in a chase the other night and our prey shouted "Screw you buddy!" repeatedly at us in a Chinese accent whenever we got close enough. Of course being the shitty hack that I am, I went full south park right back at them and the crew of randos I got was totally down with our shenanigans, at least till we ran out of planks and cannonballs and turned tail.

As with most my favorite games, the criticisms are valid but not deal breakers for some reason. I really don't want to do those chicken hunting merchant quests. The beta had some cool simple-clue following quests which seemed promising, multi island and competitive versions of them would be great, Race to the treasure! Style, the game might even be doing that with the quest gen but it's hard to tell, certainly less action in the release game than the betas. Not sure why, but with my brief experience working on online games the bottlenecks that occur at scale are not foreseeable and have nothing to do with how many server resources you have. I hope they work it out.

13. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 20:40 jdreyer

Quinn wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 20:08:
My theory is that this game was meant to be a lootbox store, its shallow gameplay being nothing more than a front for said store.

Nail, meet hammer.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 20:08 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

11. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 19:23 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 14:44:
Maybe I'm becoming too much of a cynic in my old age but I think it's telling that the first thing they mention in talking about content they are looking to add to the game is cosmetic stuff. That ought to be at the bottom of the list seeing as the general consensus is that the game is lacking stuff to actually do. Not sure people will care too much about how they look if there's not enough stuff to do to keep them engaged.

I think I am more of a cycnic, my first thought was AH, they mean "game as a service" lootboxes and micro payments.

If this was an attempt to announce actual content then they need to hire new PR personal.

10. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 18:45 HorrorScope

Blue I hope they are sending you a nice advert check for this game. Totally unsure otherwise why this game is something to put a spotlight on.  

9. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 17:59 Task

It is what it is I guess. I mean it looks pretty fun and the idea of it is cool, but it seems they need fix spawn camping and simply add stuff. This seems like a game I may try much later, perhaps a year, to see how it progressed, but by then I would hope there are still players.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

8. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 17:22 Steele Johnson

Developer of Thieves  

7. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 15:30 Kxmode

Our focus for launch is on delivering a great initial experience,

Well, that was a fail.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 14:44 Prez

Maybe I'm becoming too much of a cynic in my old age but I think it's telling that the first thing they mention in talking about content they are looking to add to the game is cosmetic stuff. That ought to be at the bottom of the list seeing as the general consensus is that the game is lacking stuff to actually do. Not sure people will care too much about how they look if there's not enough stuff to do to keep them engaged.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 13:59 jdreyer

Sea of Thieves Content Plans

So they plan to have content for Sea of Thieves. Good to know.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 13:20 Sempai

I love the art direction, and that water ..but the game has always looked content deficient to me.

A good buddy of mine and his wife have been super excited for this, and of course yesterday they had a hell of a time even logging in and playing. Him on his X1X, her on PC.
I love the cross platform option, and i think MS should be commended for it.

The game has a ton of potential, but they're now asking for money so they will be judged.

I hope for Rare and this game they pull through and get it up to speed. We could use a game like this in the space, and i suppose i'd like to see Rare stick around rather than dismantled.

Fingers crossed, Rare!

3. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 13:08 Verno

Their AMA was equally useless. "We are so excited to develop content at some point!" "We are looking at all of your feedback!"

It's not a very good game anyway, one of the most threadbare I've seen in awhile. You've seen everything the game has to offer after 3 hours then its repetitive and mind numbing.

Microsoft is really in the shit with their first party software. Sitting at a 67 on Metacritic, ouch.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

2. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 12:21 Kxmode

I'm pretty sure most playing the game are less concerned with content than they are with stabilizing the product. Focus on that, then when it's good, discuss content.  

1. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 12:16 Primalchrome

Seems like I remember that they were saying there would be substantially more content *at* launch....not a future microtransaction store where you can buy reskinned eyepatches, parrots, and peglegs.

Again....glad I cancelled my preorder. Glad I don't have to deal with the trashy microsoft store. Glad I didn't have to deal with the launch issues. Glad all around....now back to Nier:Automata.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo