Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

2018 GDC and IGF Awards

The Game Developers Conference is underway, and the 2018 Game Developers Choice Awards have now been handed out, honoring Zelda: Breath of the Wild as the game of the year. The 20th annual Independent Games Festival Awards are also complete, and the results are here, showing Infinite Fall's Night in the Woods grabbed the Seumas McNally Grand Prize for Best Independent Game. Here are all the winners of the GDC Awards:

• Best Audio
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
  • Best Debut
    Studio MDHR (Cuphead)
  • Best Design
  • Best Mobile Game
    Gorogoa (Jason Roberts/Buried Signal)
  • Innovation Award
    Gorogoa (Jason Roberts/Buried Signal)
  • Best Narrative
    What Remains of Edith Finch (Giant Sparrow)
  • Best Technology
    Horizon Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games)
  • Best Visual Art
    Cuphead (Studio MDHR)
  • Best VR/AR Game
    SUPERHOT VR (The SUPERHOT Team)
  • Audience Award
    NieR:Automata (PlatinumGames)
  • Game of the Year
  • Ambassador Award
    Rami Ismail
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    Tim Schafer

View
7. Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards Mar 23, 2018, 04:01 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 17:47:
I've not played Horizon, but that's the gist of most the comparisons I see from people who have. HZD is yet another open world action game, which is fine if that's what you like, I mean I probably would enjoy it if I had a PS4. But the new Zelda bucks a lot of those trends and significantly refreshes the genre. It doesn't litter your map with icons to mindlessly chase down, you're encouraged to freely explore while visually spotting points of interest off in the distance (whether that's a little chunk of "content" or just a cool spot to climb and see the view). It's so open and free-form, in fact, that a lot of people seem to dislike the feeling of not knowing what they should be doing.

Zelda and HZD are both open-world games. The difference in my mind is that Zelda looks like it came from 2010. HZD actually looks like a game released in 2017 taking full advantage of PS4 PRO's enhanced visuals. All that aside, the story and immersion is amazing. The joylessness is driven by the environment and the fact that humanity has quite literally taken a backseat on a planet ruled by AI and robots.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 22, 13:18 Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards Cutter
  3. Mar 22, 16:22  Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards MacLeod
  2. Mar 22, 15:43 Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards Kxmode
  4. Mar 22, 17:14  Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards MrDoomPlague
  6. Mar 22, 17:47   Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards jacobvandy
>> 7. Mar 23, 04:01     Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards Kxmode
  5. Mar 22, 17:42 Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards eRe4s3r
  8. Mar 23, 12:25 Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards heroin

footer

Blue's News logo