Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger

DSOGaming reports that MSI and GIGABYTE have removed AMD graphics cards from their gaming lines (thanks NamecaF). The MSI website indeed does not seem to list any AMD GPUs with their "GAMING" sub-brand. We see AMD cards listed with the GIGABYTE AORUS label, so it's not immediately clear why they mention GIGABYTE, but a reddit thread which has detailed detective work on listings all over the Internet says GIGABYTE's new external GPU box has generic branding for AMD but AORUS branding for NVIDIA. They also mention this does not seem to be a affecting ASUS at this point, as ASUS's Republic of Gamers/STRIX listings also show plenty of AMD cards. This is a concern after a recent editorial on [H]ardOCP suggested that NVIDIA was strong-arming vendors into dropping AMD products from their gaming lines in order to participate in NVIDIA's GeForce Partner Program, so such product listings are receiving extra scrutiny to see what's going on. As for following up, [H]ardOCP says "NVIDIA has gone dark on GPP along with nearly every contact we have in the industry on this topic."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 22, 2018, 07:37 Simon Says

1st rule of GPP, you don't talk about GPP  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 22, 2018, 02:11 Red886

the real problem is that AMD's marketing department is shit and can't compete if their life depended on it.

and this is a billion dollar revenue earning company at that...

go hire some proper marketing firm already....

22. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 21:13 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 20:44:
Why attempt to drive the nail in the AMD coffin now and risk regulatory steps?
I might understand this if they would be losing market share left, right and center but they're not, all the while posting one record quarter after another... strange.

It didn't stop Microsoft or Intel from trying to crush nascent competitors despite their massively dominant position.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

21. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 20:44 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 18:39:
Well I have to see something here really affect me. I do know they've been fair to me in terms of performance improvements over the years. Some bag on them hard saying they are milking us pre-high price sitch. I don't know what they are seeing, compared to about any other microchip makers, esp cpu's, they are way above avg on leaps forward. They have some 10% gens but they also throw in 25%-50+% generational improvements, that is massive in this sector.

Agree. I judge them by their products and ever since 3Dfx went bust I have owned nothing but nVidia cards because I'm a satisfied customer.
It is OK in my book to try to get an edge on the competition. The competition does not sleep either. AMD has also tried to one up nVidia with stuff like Mantle or the Gaming Evolved program.
No problem. May the one with the better overall package win...

As for regular prices (i.e. ignoring the current crypto$ craze), sure, it would be nice to get cheaper cards but if you look at the numbers behind the scenes, e.g. how R&D expenditure has exploded for chip makers then it should come as no surprise to anyone that high end GPUs are an expensive hobby.

The GPP is still a bit of a curious move at this point though. Mining aside, nVidia has probably never been in a stronger position in the dGPU market.
Why attempt to drive the nail in the AMD coffin now and risk regulatory steps?
I might understand this if they would be losing market share left, right and center but they're not, all the while posting one record quarter after another... strange.

It must be something behind the scenes maybe where some board partners are currently focusing all of their resources and efforts on AMD mining card production for the big farms while nVidia may be struggling to allocate production capacities for their Pascal and also the future Volta/Ampere gaming lineup?
Huang has confirmed they have (Pascal-based cards) supply issues at the last conference call.

So maybe the GPP is a gentle reminder by nVidia to board partners that it has mostly been nVidia chips for gaming that have been driving the partners' sales before the mining craze and also a hint that nVidia are taking notes who is being disloyal now by shifting capacities to the competition for a quick mining buck.

That's just about the only logical explanation I can come up with.

20. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 18:39 HorrorScope

Well I have to see something here really affect me. I do know they've been fair to me in terms of performance improvements over the years. Some bag on them hard saying they are milking us pre-high price sitch. I don't know what they are seeing, compared to about any other microchip makers, esp cpu's, they are way above avg on leaps forward. They have some 10% gens but they also throw in 25%-50+% generational improvements, that is massive in this sector.  

19. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 17:16 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 16:58:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 16:50:
So, are they going to get the anti-competitive behavior lawsuit from the DoJ, or get the sweetheart ignore? You decide!
I'm sure that Trump's DoJ will get right on that.
As soon as they finish congratulating Putin on his re-election.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

18. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 16:58 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 16:50:
So, are they going to get the anti-competitive behavior lawsuit from the DoJ, or get the sweetheart ignore? You decide!
I'm sure that Trump's DoJ will get right on that.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

17. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 16:50 Creston

16. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 14:17 RedEye9

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 13:53:
Right now none of this shit matters anyway.
It's Nvidia's long term marketing strategy. It will harm AMD while forcing AIB's to have separate advertising for their "gaming" brand that they have spent years marketing and developing.
The silence from Nvidia is deafening.
Whether it's good business practice or a violation of anti-trust laws remains to be seen.

15. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 13:53 HoSpanky

Right now none of this shit matters anyway. You canít buy a decent video card at anything less than the cost of a high end one. Hereís hoping some crypto currencies take a nosedive so people can actually buy video cards again.  

14. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 13:11 CJ_Parker

MacLeod wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:47:
VaranDragon wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:22:
They didn't do 3rd party cards back in those days, which is another reason why the company was destined for eventual downfall.

Am I misremembering? I'm pretty sure that Creative and Diamond at least made Voodoo2 cards.

Diamond was the first to market (at least here in EU) with the original 3Dfx Voodoo as well. I know because I bought one as soon as it came out. Good old Diamond Monster 3D... literally a game-changer . The other company that had early availability was Orchid.
IIRC, it was mostly between these two early on... Creative entered the fray later with their "Graphics Blaster" lineup.

@Raz0r! Ah yes, but that was very late in the (3Dfx) game when they started making all sorts of dumb decisions that led to their untimely demise unfortunately (from Wikipedia)...

The acquisition of STB was one of the main contributors to 3dfx's downfall; the company did not sell any Voodoo 4 or 5 chips to third party manufacturers which were a significant source of revenue for the company. These third-party manufacturers turned into competitors and began sourcing graphics chips from NVIDIA.
This also further alienated 3dfx's remaining OEM customers, as they had a single source for 3dfx products and could not choose a CEM to provide cost flexibility. The OEMs saw 3dfx as a direct competitor in retail. With the purchase of STB 3dfx created a line of Velocity boards (an STB brand) that used crippled Voodoo3 chips, as a product to target the low-end market. The chip came with only a single functional TMU, making it similar to a Voodoo Banshee.

13. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 13:04 RaZ0r!

If I remember correctly, 3dfx bought STB. Starting with the 3dfx Voodoo3 they made their own cards (with STB's factory), and they no longer licensed them out. After that they were purchased by Nvidia. I think the Voodoo5 was current when Nvidia bought them.  

12. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:49 RedEye9

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:35:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:32:
chickenboo wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:18:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:14:
I remember back when I was outraged that 3dfx pulled this shit on Nvidia. Apparently we've come full circle. Nvidia, I hope you get cucked equally as hard.

Got a link? I don't remember this.

Thats because he is full of shit.
I'll try to find something, but dude, go fuck yourself. I worked at Babbages and was forced to put "Only runs on 3dFx" stickers on all of the 3d games even if they supported OpenGl. It was a paid campaign to undermine the Riva TNT and sell 3dfx cards.
And poor old nvidia never recovered. oh wait
So companies stating patently false facts in their marketing and creating campaigns to undermine competition is ok? I can never figure out if Blues is just made up of trolls or a bunch of idiots.
I can tell that those marketing stickers really made an impression on you, just like they destroyed nvidia.

11. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:47 MacLeod

They didn't do 3rd party cards back in those days, which is another reason why the company was destined for eventual downfall.

Am I misremembering? I'm pretty sure that Creative and Diamond at least made Voodoo2 cards.

10. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:42 BIGtrouble77

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 12:35:
I remember back when I was outraged that 3dfx pulled this shit on Nvidia. Apparently we've come full circle. Nvidia, I hope you get cucked equally as hard.

I'll try to find something, but dude, go fuck yourself. I worked at Babbages and was forced to put "Only runs on 3dFx" stickers on all of the 3d games even if they supported OpenGl. It was a paid campaign to undermine the Riva TNT and sell 3dfx cards.
So companies stating patently false facts in their marketing and creating campaigns to undermine competition is ok? I can never figure out if Blues is just made up of trolls or a bunch of idiots.

9. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:41 Xil

Thats because he is full of shit. It never happened. 3dfx ruled back in those days because the Glide API was built for their hardware, and much more efficient at the early 3d accelerated rendering than any OpenGL or DirectX general purpose API.

Also apart from the failed banshee, the voodoo chips were built and produced in house on their own cards by 3dfx themseleves. They didn't do 3rd party cards back in those days, which is another reason why the company was destined for eventual downfall.

Sorry but I had a Diamond Monster 3D which was the add-on passthrough card with the 3DFX chips on it, so they did outsource

8. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:40 CJ_Parker

Also apart from the failed banshee, the voodoo chips were built and produced in house on their own cards by 3dfx themseleves. They didn't do 3rd party cards back in those days, which is another reason why the company was destined for eventual downfall.

What? So did I just dream about the existence of Diamond, Orchid, Creative etc. Voodoo cards?
3Dfx provided the partners with reference boards (just as AMD and nVidia -not always for every chip but in most cases- do today). The partners were free to deviate from the reference designs. 3Dfx was mostly a chip supplier just like AMD and nVidia today while the partners built the boards.

As for the news here, let's wait and see what's really behind it. I hope that nVidia is playing fair.
Board partners delisting AMD might also simply have to do with the fact that their cards suck ass for anything but mining. Well, and maybe the board partners are not amused by high returns as a result of fried 24/7 mining GPUs with defunct fans etc.

7. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:35 RedEye9

6. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:32 BIGtrouble77

I'll try to find something, but dude, go fuck yourself. I worked at Babbages and was forced to put "Only runs on 3dFx" stickers on all of the 3d games even if they supported OpenGl. It was a paid campaign to undermine the TNT2 and sell 3dfx cards.

5. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 12:22 VaranDragon

Thats because he is full of shit. It never happened. 3dfx ruled back in those days because the Glide API was built for their hardware, and much more efficient at the early 3d accelerated rendering than any OpenGL or DirectX general purpose API.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo