Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Assassin's Creed Rumor

Comicbook.com has rumored details on the next installment in the Assassin's Creed series, saying they "have started to intercept the first rumors about it from several sources linked to Ubisoft." VG247 notes the author's bona fides, saying Liam Robertson "is mostly known for his work on Unseen64 uncovering cancelled and lost games," though Robertson still warns at the outset to take this with a grain of salt. Word is the game will be set in ancient Greece, saying this may be based on ideas originally cooked up for Assassin's Creed Origins. They also note a tweet from Ubisoft art director Raphael Lacoste showing his recent vacation in Greece may have been a scouting trip for this project, but add they are only being partly serious, so we are partly chuckling. They conclude by noting their primary sources for this rumor previously provided accurate scoops on the development of Assassin's Creed Origins.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 15:54 Kxmode

Red886 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 09:13:
its a straight forward tale of revenge with no nuance and subtlety about it. Just kill everyone some NPC tells you too (Bayek really just take anything a villager say as the truth) , and the reason why he went on this path of revenge is extremely hackneyed. Some supposed master tacticians and manipulators of Egyptian society, government and military, just decided to crowd around and beat a kid to death for no reason but to get the story rolling. Near the end, even the writers lost the plot because Bayek is not needed to unlock any secret to what these bunch of antagonists desire.

That makes the entire pivotal point of conflict even more ridiculous.

Good thing is that they can now only improve upon the story from now onwards. And bring back the graphical details from Unity

I know it is derivative. History is rife with derivative stories. The human story only has so many original stories. That doesn't take away from the fact that the story is good. Bayak is an ancient Egyptian police officer sworn the protect and serve the public. His transition from that into an assassin and ultimately the leader of a brotherhood of assassins to fight against oppressive power players happens organically.

> Some supposed master tacticians and manipulators of Egyptian society, government and military, just decided to crowd around and beat a kid to death for no reason but to get the story rolling.

I've played all the main games in the series and know the lore well enough to say the above is highly inaccurate.

There are five people directly responsible for the death of Bayek's son. Bayek's mission is to find those five and bring them to justice. Along the way, he discovers these five are mere pawns in a much larger and powerful order. His transition from seeking justice to ending oppression for all Egyptians occurs from his Medjay roots. The five mask men never "beat a kid to death." They hold Bayek's son hostage to forced Bayek to open a secret Vault with a golden orb. The orb is a piece of Eden that the Order of Ancients has obtained to build an empire. Their goal is to seek more knowledge and artifacts from the ancient vaults throughout Egypt, including the one Siwa.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 09:13 Red886

Kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 05:01:
Red886 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 00:32:
AC story, characters, action and set pieces is crap. (UBI is not putting any effort in improving that, as they are now focused on "player-freedom" )

only the world is the selling point

I disagree. Bayak and Aya are fascinating characters, and I rooted for their successes and felt sadness over their losses. I also like the secondary characters. My favorite was Cleopatra. She was written and voiced acted well. The only secondary character I thought could have used a bit more polish is Julius Caesar. For such a pivotal role, his rise to power felt very "convenient." Tertiary characters like Shadya and Hilarus ("Youth is a state of mind!") were memorable.

its a straight forward tale of revenge with no nuance and subtlety about it. Just kill everyone some NPC tells you too (Bayek really just take anything a villager say as the truth) , and the reason why he went on this path of revenge is extremely hackneyed. Some supposed master tacticians and manipulators of Egyptian society, government and military, just decided to crowd around and beat a kid to death for no reason but to get the story rolling. Near the end, even the writers lost the plot because Bayek is not needed to unlock any secret to what these bunch of antagonists desire.

That makes the entire pivotal point of conflict even more ridiculous.

Good thing is that they can now only improve upon the story from now onwards. And bring back the graphical details from Unity

19. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 05:01 Kxmode

Red886 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 00:32:
AC story, characters, action and set pieces is crap. (UBI is not putting any effort in improving that, as they are now focused on "player-freedom" )

I disagree. Bayak and Aya are fascinating characters, and I rooted for their successes and felt sadness over their losses. I also like the secondary characters. My favorite was Cleopatra. She was written and voiced acted well. The only secondary character I thought could have used a bit more polish is Julius Caesar. For such a pivotal role, his rise to power felt very "convenient." Tertiary characters like Shadya and Hilarus ("Youth is a state of mind!") were memorable.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 04:49 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 21:21:
Exactly. It now seems that they were planning on an AC Origins trilogy all along. Egypt, Greece, Rome.

I guess we do know from certain Animus snippets that they have most likely toyed with the idea of an Asian themed AC in the past. Let us also not forget that they have actually done the Asian-themed AC Chronicles China spinoff .

They might have well used that series to test the waters with regard to more exotic settings (the AC Chronicles games have been set in China, Russia and India so far). Who knows what their conclusions are based on the reception of those games... only time will tell.

An Abstergo researcher named Layla is tasked along with her friend and co-worker Deanna Geary with finding and retrieving an artifact in Egypt. However, she instead finds a tomb containing the mummies of ancient Assassins Bayek and Aya. Hoping to find any relevant information that would secure her a position in the company's Animus Project, Layla decides to relive both Bayek and Aya's memories using her modified Animus without telling her superiors. In other words, Layla's Animus doesn't need heritage DNA. She can relive the memories of anyone with only a DNA sample.

Later in the game, Layla wakes up from the Animus to find William Miles, Desmond's father and present-day Mentor of the Assassin Brotherhood, watching over her. He offers her the freedom to explore her new technology with the Brotherhoods resources. She accepts William's offer to work with the Assassins, but stops short of actually joining them. The two depart for modern-day Alexandria.

So even though the historical side of the story went back in time to ancient Egypt, the modern-day portion of the main story is still linearly moving forward. That said, I really want to find out want happened with Juno. There was a good cliffhanger at the end of Syndicate. Hoping to see something in the next game.

17. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 04:05 1badmf

Jerykk wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 02:40:
Greece seems like an odd choice. It would presumably take place around the same time as Origins and heavily feature the Romans, just like Origins. Would much rather have an AC set in feudal Japan.

i'd prefer it took place in the heroic age, maybe even during the trojan war. hector, paris, helen, agamemnon, even achilles who i'd like to know. i think it'd be a great setting.

japan would be awesome too though. can't make a game series about assassins and not have ninjas at some point. here again there are plenty of heroes to build around - musashi, kojiro, oda nobunaga. japanese military tradition is as rich or richer than anything in the west imo.

16. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 02:40 Jerykk

Greece seems like an odd choice. It would presumably take place around the same time as Origins and heavily feature the Romans, just like Origins. Would much rather have an AC set in feudal Japan.  

15. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 00:32 Red886

so
Greece, Rome, Mediterranean + Sumerian civs = seen it done countless times, boring (cheapest budget wise though)

Russia, eastern and central Europe = medieval towns and castles has been done countless times, so boring

Japan = haven't been given a grand open world AAA treatment. Should be interesting. Even better if set during the intro of guns (Total War: Fall of the Samurai etc)

China = same as Japan but much more periods to choose from. (choose from whichever invasion period, external or internal)

India = never done before (fits well in Ubi's cultural focus of inclusiveness and diversity)

South America, Latin America, Africa = not enough stuff to jump over (also a weak point of AC:Origins. so much horse riding....)

14. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 21:21 CJ_Parker

Exactly. It now seems that they were planning on an AC Origins trilogy all along. Egypt, Greece, Rome.

I guess we do know from certain Animus snippets that they have most likely toyed with the idea of an Asian themed AC in the past. Let us also not forget that they have actually done the Asian-themed AC Chronicles China spinoff .

They might have well used that series to test the waters with regard to more exotic settings (the AC Chronicles games have been set in China, Russia and India so far). Who knows what their conclusions are based on the reception of those games... only time will tell.

13. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 17:46 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:16:
Sure it does. Just look at the AC Timeline. Asia's in there. And seeing as ACO takes place in 49BC that leaves a metric shit ton of history to go lateral, forward, or backward with. There's zero reason not to do it and a ton of reasons to do it. And at the end of the day it'd just be cool as hell getting to play something akin to James Clavell's Shogun. There's just a whole lot more interesting history to play out than ancient Greece. Greece most definitely is not the word.

I'm not talking about the land mass (history exists all over the place). I'm talking about the story. UbiSoft already did what you are proposing with Unity (French Revolution) and Syndicate (Victorian era) becoming a disjointed mess and suffering for it. So much so, that they had to reboot the series. The only reason for the main series to go to China is if there's a story there for players. I didn't see anything in ACO alluding to an Asian influence, but I did see a lot of Greek and mediterranean influences. It makes way more sense to go to Greece than China, especially if Ubisoft wants to continue telling the Origins story. They stated this is their intent.

From an historical standpoint:
- Egypt (time of the Ptolemaic dynasties)
- Greece (not really sure why we would go here since Greece has splintered into a disjointed empire)
- Rome (eventually becomes a world power; time of Jesus. Bayek would likely be dead by this point.)

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2018, 17:56.

12. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 17:16 Cutter

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 15:14:
But, it doesn't flow with the narration established in Origins. The story can either move forward or back in time. In either case, Egypt remains the epicenter. Suddenly dropping players in China would be an abrupt change.

Sure it does. Just look at the AC Timeline. Asia's in there. And seeing as ACO takes place in 49BC that leaves a metric shit ton of history to go lateral, forward, or backward with. There's zero reason not to do it and a ton of reasons to do it. And at the end of the day it'd just be cool as hell getting to play something akin to James Clavell's Shogun. There's just a whole lot more interesting history to play out than ancient Greece. Greece most definitely is not the word.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

11. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 17:05 CJ_Parker

Ancient Greece sounds like a rather logical next step after Egypt. Then ancient Rome next with Cesar and Cleo.

As for Greece, it's making me wonder if they would stick to actual historical ancient Greece or mix it up with the mythology like Ulysses' ten year odyssey, the Sirens, the Cyclops, Circe and all that stuff.

I'd definitely rather have Greece than anything Asian. If they'd have to leave the European continent, I'd rather see them explore the Mayas, Aztecs or Incas.
Asia would be at the very bottom of my favs. It just would not fit very well with the whole theme of AC and I also think it would be awkward to get it right with the culture, the characters, the language etc.

10. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 16:39 Agent.X7

Tyrric wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 15:16:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 12:08:
Ooooh,, you know what would make a great setting? Africa during the colonial years. The assassin could be a tribesman coming back from Europe and seeing his people being enslaved, and the Templars are heading up the slaving effort. That would be cool. Plus, Africa! I mean, I know Egypt is technically Africa, but...

I miss the Creed down in Africa.

Haha, nice.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

9. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 16:39 Creston

Ooooh,, you know what would make a great setting? Africa during the colonial years. The assassin could be a tribesman coming back from Europe and seeing his people being enslaved, and the Templars are heading up the slaving effort. That would be cool. Plus, Africa! I mean, I know Egypt is technically Africa, but...

We could call him... Kunta Kinte!

8. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 16:37 Creston

Leper wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 11:22:
Maybe because that era is pretty stagnant and not especially interesting historically. It's like setting an AC game in the dark ages of Europe. No big revolutions occurring. No well-known historical characters to meet. Yeah, combat would be good, but what else is going on? Why should your average gamer care about some in-fighting between Japanese houses? It just seems like a depressing time and having Samurai and Ninjas as the main draw might be cliché. Not to mention that Asian culture is kind of a turn-off to most Westerners. I also don't see it really fitting into the whole AC universe. I haven't played Origins, but when have they alluded to Japan or even Asia in the series? It seems like it would be a out of place.

Those are valid point, but on the flipside, the two Total War Shogun games are some of the best selling in that series, so it's not as if there's no demand for it. And they've done games in rather historically poor settings where characters are concerned before, so I'm not sure it'd be that much of a reach to throw out some well known
names (and fudge with timelines to put these people together.)

7. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 15:16 Tyrric

I miss the Creed down in Africa.

6. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 15:14 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 13:47:
What are you talking about? Everything leading up to the Edo period in Japan was full on strife and warfare with the various shogunates. And who the hell says it has to be rooted in reality? None of the ACs are anyway, just utilizing set dressing from the period they take place in. You could easily create a backstory of some rogue clan - Japanese templars - seeking to undermine the Tokugawa shogunate or anything of that nature. Feudal Japan would be a natural with the inclusion of samurai, ronin, and ninja. Japan could easily be one of their best games.

Beyond that all of Asia is ripe for the picking. Pick virtually any Chinese dynasty, work in the Shaolin angle. Pick India and anything around the time of the Murghal Empire. Man, history is just chockful of other stuff that would be better than ancient Greece.

But, it doesn't flow with the narration established in Origins. The story can either move forward or back in time. In either case, Egypt remains the epicenter. Suddenly dropping players in China would be an abrupt change.

5. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 13:47 Cutter

Leper wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 11:22:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 10:19:
Ancient Greece? Meh.

I still can't understand why Ubisoft won't do the AC:Japan, set in the days of Ninja and Samurai like everyone has been clamoring for the last decade...

Maybe because that era is pretty stagnant and not especially interesting historically. It's like setting an AC game in the dark ages of Europe. No big revolutions occurring. No well-known historical characters to meet. Yeah, combat would be good, but what else is going on? Why should your average gamer care about some in-fighting between Japanese houses? It just seems like a depressing time and having Samurai and Ninjas as the main draw might be cliché. Not to mention that Asian culture is kind of a turn-off to most Westerners. I also don't see it really fitting into the whole AC universe. I haven't played Origins, but when have they alluded to Japan or even Asia in the series? It seems like it would be a out of place.

That's not to say that they can't or won't make a good game set there, but maybe the the clamoring is exaggerated by a small minority. I'm sure they have people evaluating a lot of different settings, so who knows.

What are you talking about? Everything leading up to the Edo period in Japan was full on strife and warfare with the various shogunates. And who the hell says it has to be rooted in reality? None of the ACs are anyway, just utilizing set dressing from the period they take place in. You could easily create a backstory of some rogue clan - Japanese templars - seeking to undermine the Tokugawa shogunate or anything of that nature. Feudal Japan would be a natural with the inclusion of samurai, ronin, and ninja. Japan could easily be one of their best games.

Beyond that all of Asia is ripe for the picking. Pick virtually any Chinese dynasty, work in the Shaolin angle. Pick India and anything around the time of the Murghal Empire. Man, history is just chockful of other stuff that would be better than ancient Greece.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

4. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 12:08 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

3. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 11:22 Leper

Ancient Greece? Meh.

I still can't understand why Ubisoft won't do the AC:Japan, set in the days of Ninja and Samurai like everyone has been clamoring for the last decade...

That's not to say that they can't or won't make a good game set there, but maybe the the clamoring is exaggerated by a small minority. I'm sure they have people evaluating a lot of different settings, so who knows.

2. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 10:25 Agent.X7

Ancient Greece? Meh.

Oh, I would dig ancient Greece, although we just did an AC with Ancient Egypt and Rome and Greece, so...sort of not moving in time at all there.

What about AC Vietnam? That would be cool.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo