Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm suffering a little bit at the moment with what I believe is a sinus infection. The uncertainty is because I've never had one before, but the symptoms seem pretty straightforward. I don't know how I got it, but I guess I am a candidate, since I read that a one of the causes of these can be a deviated septum. This is due to geography, as I grew up in Brooklyn when it was populated by punchers, rather than hipsters. I guess abnormal airways can help trap things or something, since I can't see any other reason a deviated septum would cause an infection. Anyway, I mostly feel okay, but I'm coughing a lot, sneezing a lot, and my nose is running like Usain Bolt, so I'll be happy when I'm over whatever this is.

R.I.P.: Bento, Keyboard Cat and internet hero, has died aged 9.
R.I.P.: Michael Gershman Dead: ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Cinematographer Was 73.

Deviated Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Pogo Postman.
Stories: "Rick and Morty" Future Is In Limbo.
Snow is forecast as 4th nor'easter this month looms for New England and mid-Atlantic.
Science: Stem Cells in 'Game Changing' Treatment for MS.
Earth’s defensive magnetic field suffers from ‘South Atlantic Anomaly.’
DMAU: Male Birth Control Pill Offers 'Unprecedented' Study Results. 0 men got pregnant.
Images: Mess with the crabo you get the stabo. Thanks Acleacius.
Media: Professor Stephen Hawking 1942 - 2018.
Streaming Netflix movies in 1995.
Will this water trap stop a cunning cat from opening the door?
Follow-up: NASA plans giant spacecraft to defend Earth by nuking deadly asteroids.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2018, 06:59 Beamer

those videos are common.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2018, 06:11 Asmodai

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:31:
To be the killjoy, these crabs are highly distressed, with knives glued to their hands. Videos like this keep going around, with people thinking smart crabs grab the knives, but they're panicking crabs unsure why something is stuck to them as much larger beings chase them.

They're also food, though, so...

The crab actually switches the knife from claw to claw twice... Pretty awesome glue, it only sticks when you're holding something. /eyeroll

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 23:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 19:15:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:40:
Rick and Morty limbo

NOOOOOOoooOOOooo

They're going to renew. They'd be crazy not to. One does wonder WTF they are doing over there.

Well, based on almost any tape of the actual creators, the production of Rick and Morty was constantly teetering on the edge of exploding into nothingness, and/or Roiland drinking himself to death.

I love the show but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they pissed off enough people to get their show cancelled and/or asked for 100 billion dollars for season 4 and get cancelled by default.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 19:15 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:40:
Rick and Morty limbo

NOOOOOOoooOOOooo

They're going to renew. They'd be crazy not to. One does wonder WTF they are doing over there.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 19:12 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:28:
Nuking asteroids makes for good headlines and bad movies.
In actuality it's pure folly.
Bill Bryson devotes a chapter about how it will never be a thing, and a reassuring section on the the aftermath of a world ender hitting terra firma.

Nuking an asteroid to stop an imminent collision will never be a thing. Nuking an asteroid to knock it off a collision course in 20 years could be.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 16:46 Tipsy McStagger

SirKnight wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 13:21:
Oh so you're one of those hippies. "oh no that's so cruel, it's being tortured" F off. The crab is not scared, it's doing what crabs do. They fight. When an animal fights, it's not scared, it's high on adrenaline and will get it on until it's done.

This is a really stupid comment.

Adrenaline comes from fear and emotional stress.. all those adrenaline junkies are just doing the safest things ever for the highs right?

and no ones been in a fight where they aren't "scared". That 7 foot tall 350 lb steroid freak is still running off fear adrenaline in a fight even though they don't seem scared and they won't admit it.

But in closing: I think that little guy looks delicious but I do somewhat feel bad for my stupid food some days, especially when I didn't drop them fast with a rifle shot and they limp away bleeding out. I feel bad for any animal that isn't killed quickly. Most humans suffer more than a cow does for example.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 15:50 eRe4s3r

Detection is important yes, but I think the thing missing is political will, not technical ability. We can track 10cm large objects in orbit easily, we just choose not to expand that technology to beyond orbit for.. reasons.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 15:47 Hoop

Bento your chubby little fingers will live on.
Someone play him out.

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 14:59 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 13:55:
Where does this notion come from that you can't nuke asteroids? The radiation (xrays!) and light emissions from a nearby (not impact) blast would push an asteroid off-course far more than a kinetic impactor ever could.

you can nuke'em all you want, but it's finding the ones you want to nuke that's the issue (and that's not taking into account what direction they will go spinning into the ether and colliding with other nastier rocks)

snippet
from Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Identifying an asteroid doesn’t make it safe.
Even if every asteroid in the solar system had a name and known orbit, no one could say what perturbations might send any of them hurtling towards us. We can’t forecast rock disturbances on our own surface. Any asteroid out there that has our name on it is very likely to have no other.
Think of the Earth’s orbit as a kind of motorway on which we are the only vehicle, but which is crossed regularly by pedestrians who don’t know enough to look before stepping off the verge. At least 90 per cent of these pedestrians are quite unknown to us. We don’t know where they live, what sort of hours they keep, how often they come our way. All we know is that at some point, at uncertain intervals, they trundle across the road down which we are cruising at over 100,000 kilometres an hour. As Steven Ostro of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory has put it, “Suppose that there was a button you could push and you
could light up all the Earth-crossing asteroids larger than about ten metres, there would be over a hundred million of these objects in the sky
.” In short, you would see not a couple of thousand distant twinkling stars, but millions upon millions upon millions of nearer, randomly moving objects—“all of which are capable of colliding with the Earth and all of which are moving on
slightly different courses through the sky at different rates. It would be deeply unnerving.” Well, be unnerved, because it is there. We just can’t see it.
Altogether it is thought—though it is really only a guess, based on
extrapolating from cratering rates on the Moon—that some two thousand
asteroids big enough to imperil civilized existence regularly cross our orbit.
But even a small asteroid—the size of a house, say—could destroy a city. The number of these relative tiddlers in Earth-crossing orbits is almost certainly in the hundreds of thousands and possibly in the millions, and they are nearly impossible to track.
The first one wasn’t spotted until 1991, and that was after it had already gone by. Named 1991 BA, it was noticed as it sailed past us at a distance of 170,000 kilometres—in cosmic terms the equivalent of a bullet passing through one’s sleeve without touching the arm. Two years later, another, somewhat larger asteroid missed us by just 145,000 kilometres—the closest pass yet recorded. It, too, was not seen until it had passed and would have arrived without warning. According to Timothy Ferris, writing in the New Yorker, such near misses probably happen two or three times a week and go unnoticed.
An object a hundred metres across couldn’t be picked up by any Earth-based telescope until it was within just a few days of us, and that is only if a telescope happened to be trained on it, which is unlikely because even now the number of people searching for such objects is modest. The arresting analogy that is always made is that the number of people in the world who are actively searching for asteroids is fewer than the staff of a typical McDonald’s restaurant. (It is actually somewhat higher now. But not much.)

end snippet

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 14:49 PHJF

sauron wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 14:26:

Uh, back to gaming. Anyone heard any buzz about Ni No Kuni 2?

Read The Reviews

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 14:26 sauron

mellis wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 14:20:

The crab is not scared, it's doing what crabs do. They fight. When an animal fights, it's not scared, it's high on adrenaline and will get it on until it's done.

Really? Seems the crab's actions are precisely described by the fight or flight response, which at its heart is fear and the overriding motivation to survive.

Yep, it's driven by the sympathetic nervous system, and adrenaline (or equivalent in crustaceans).

Uh, the MS link is interesting, but that therapy is only really for patients who don't respond to the newer drugs, such as Ocrelizumab. The MS space is filling up with good therapies, which is good news for most patients.

Uh, back to gaming. Anyone heard any buzz about Ni No Kuni 2?

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 14:26 Beamer

To be the killjoy, these crabs are highly distressed, with knives glued to their hands. Videos like this keep going around, with people thinking smart crabs grab the knives, but they're panicking crabs unsure why something is stuck to them as much larger beings chase them.

Oh so you're one of those hippies. "oh no that's so cruel, it's being tortured" F off. The crab is not scared, it's doing what crabs do. They fight. When an animal fights, it's not scared, it's high on adrenaline and will get it on until it's done. Also I guess your glasses are dirty because clearly the crab switches the knife to its other claw for a while. Obviously it knows how to fight with objects and it's NOT glued.

I point out the counter argument that it's food, so I'd hardly call myself a hippie. But I do think it's worth knowing that holding knives isn't a normal behavior.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 14:20 mellis

The crab is not scared, it's doing what crabs do. They fight. When an animal fights, it's not scared, it's high on adrenaline and will get it on until it's done.

Really? Seems the crab's actions are precisely described by the fight or flight response, which at its heart is fear and the overriding motivation to survive.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 14:07 Mr. Tact

I was under the impression there was a consensus agreeing the idea of using nuclear weapons to deflect asteroids was a bad idea -- basically a last choice, use only in the case of an emergency option. Launching rockets into space carrying satellites with nuclear fuel is bad enough, the risk of launching a nuclear weapon was deemed untenable except in extreme situations.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 13:55 eRe4s3r

Where does this notion come from that you can't nuke asteroids? The radiation (xrays!) and light emissions from a nearby (not impact) blast would push an asteroid off-course far more than a kinetic impactor ever could.

If you lobbed a 100mt nuke at an asteroid and detonate it right next to it you could apply as much as 25mt of kinetic force not directly into or against it's movement vector (so it'd be a massive course change). Of course forget the Armageddon style drilling op, that's the stupid way to use nukes.

on face value against 80m ton asteroid, applying 25mt of kinetic energy seems kinda "meh" but it would change it's vector enough over decades to completely eliminate it as a threat.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 13:24 Pigeon

I don't think it's glued on as it switches the claw it's holding it with. Still no need to be cruel to your dinner.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 13:21 SirKnight

Oh so you're one of those hippies. "oh no that's so cruel, it's being tortured" F off. The crab is not scared, it's doing what crabs do. They fight. When an animal fights, it's not scared, it's high on adrenaline and will get it on until it's done. Also I guess your glasses are dirty because clearly the crab switches the knife to its other claw for a while. Obviously it knows how to fight with objects and it's NOT glued.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 12:41 RedEye9

need more happy crustacean videos.
Don't forget the drawn butter, yum (not brown, yech)

John Oliver trolls Mike Pence with a book about a gay bunny Currently it's ranked higher than Pences own bunny book on Amazon.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 12:30 Cutter

I had surgery for a deviated septum last Feb. - something I advise against and wish I knew then what I knew now. I ended up with a bad sinusitis infection last fall, so no, a deviated septum has nothing to do with it. If you need to get antibiotics for it you'll need doxycycline hyclate, as other general antibiotics like amoxicillin are a waste of time and won't cut it. I know because I did two courses, amoxicillin and then amoxicillin with clavulanic acid and they didn't do bupkiss, whereas finally the doxy cleared it right up. If it's sinusitis though the symptoms are generally a lot more severe like crippling headaches and intense pressure in the front of your face like someone gave you a few good shots to it.

What exactly is supposed to be entertaining about torturing a frightened animal? Fucking psychopaths. Don't link that sort of shit.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 12:03 chickenboo

Play him off, keyboard cat! Ohh........  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo