Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions

GameSpot has new details on Far Cry 5, saying the upcoming shooter sequel will include microtransactions, saying these will include ways to speed progress for those who enjoy playing less of their new games. They also note that the game's single-player campaign will be playable offline, a sign of our modern times that this was a concern. Here's a bit:
As with many other games, including previous Ubisoft games, Far Cry 5 will offer microtransactions. Executive producer Dan Hay stressed that the game will be generous in what it offers, though if you want to speed up your progress by spending money, you'll have that option. "We've set the game up to be generous," Hay said. "We've set the game up so...nothing is locked [away]. You can go out and explore, and the game will reward you for your exploration."

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10
Ubisoft PR followed up to offer a full statement on Far Cry 5's microtransactions, saying they will allow players to speed up their progress. It remains to be seen exactly how this will work, but looking at another recent Ubisoft game, Assassin's Creed Origins, may give us some clues. That game offers "Time Saver Packs" that include items or packs of in-game currency that you can then spend to speed up your progress. They are totally optional, and can be unlocked through normal gameplay. It is possible that Far Cry 5 will offer something similar.
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Mar 17, 2018, 14:24 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, this seems like a non-issue in a non-pvp game. I won't be buying any boosters, and I couldn't really care less if others do. It doesn't affect me.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 17, 2018, 00:46 Kxmode

... duplicate ...  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 17, 2018, 00:46 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 00:05:
Nowadays...
F2P game means F2P + microtransactions
AAA game means premium price + microtransactions
indie game mean regular game

Indie Ultra Premium means Star Citizen

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 17, 2018, 00:05 Avus

Nowadays...
F2P game means F2P + microtransactions
AAA game means premium price + microtransactions
indie game mean regular game

I am not a Mac user unless under duress. - John Carmack

17. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 21:09 jacobvandy

There are several differences between this and SWBF2, though... For one, that is a PVP-centric game. People buying XP boosters or in-game currency in Far Cry or Assassin's Creed doesn't affect other players at all (the "win" of P2W isn't there). If FC5 ends up featuring a competitive multiplayer mode where rewards are based in randomized loot boxes that they sell for real money, then yeah, they will catch more shit for it. As they should.  

16. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 19:08 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 17:41:
Lord Tea wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 12:37:
if you want to speed up your progress by spending money, you'll have that option

...formerly known as "PAY TO WIN".

Speeding up progress isn't pay to win. Offensive to people who prefer to earn it, maybe, or a potential cause for concern over the standard rate of progression, definitely... But unless there's an advantage to that which can never be earned for free, it's not P2W.

Oh this line has been well blurred since SWBF2. That game offered the same "convenience shortcuts" that DICE games have for the last 5 years, but for some reason people equated it with being able to pay $$$ for a weapon that was BETTER than ANYTHING you could earn in-game.

The way it actually was (for 2 days before launch) was no different than a +xp bonus in any other game, you just got the same shit as playing the game normally, only faster. Just about every MMO on the planet does the exact same thing (pay for +25% xp boost).

And it's even more hilarious because Call of Duty: Advanced WArfare has ACTUAL pay-2-win guns that were FAR better than anything you could earn through normal progression, and NOBODY COMPLAINED. WTF.

Reminds be of the "golden guns" in APB:Reloaded which you couldn't even buy, but rent for $9.99 a month, and were twice as deadly as anything you could earn in-game, for a pvp game. Ridic.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

15. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 19:03 Slick

Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 11:11:
We made our game so grindy that we gave you the ability to pay extra to not have to play it. No surprise, since AC Origins had the same bullshit, but on the same day when EA announces they're killing their paid progression, this is yet again an utterly tone deaf announcement by Ubisoft.

I really don't like bring this guy, but there was really never "paid progression" in SWBF2. There was "random progression" that wasn't really so random, as you'd just buy crates (with ingame credits) to get crafting parts and then directly craft any upgrades you want.

Ubi has been tone-deaf with this for ages. The real thing I have NO IDEA why people don't hate on, is that they're already advertising the season pass content, exactly what's coming BEFORE THE GAME LAUNCHES!

They're doing with with FC5, and they did it with AC:O

How is this not a more egregious offence, the $50 season pass nonsense? ESPECIALLY advertising for it before the fucking game is even released! They're literally telling people who don't even have the game yet that they're missing out on content if they don't plonk down another $50.

Madness.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

14. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 17:41 jacobvandy

Lord Tea wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 12:37:
if you want to speed up your progress by spending money, you'll have that option

Speeding up progress isn't pay to win. Offensive to people who prefer to earn it, maybe, or a potential cause for concern over the standard rate of progression, definitely... But unless there's an advantage to that which can never be earned for free, it's not P2W.

13. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 16:52 Kxmode

DangerDog wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 16:10:
Really surprised they didn't go full "battle royale" clone with this one, given the massive success of PUBG it seems like a no-brainer.

But wait... there's more!

12. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 16:52 Kxmode

I'm more concerned with how Ubisoft feels about people using cheats in a single-player game that, by default, is online. AFAIK, I did not encounter problems using a cheat for ACO.  

11. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 16:10 DangerDog

Really surprised they didn't go full "battle royale" clone with this one, given the massive success of PUBG it seems like a no-brainer.  

10. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 15:45 Rigs

Sacrifice wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 15:30:
Some people didn't like Far Cry 2 as much, but that was because it aimed to be a more realistic survival shooter than an action shooter (it also had a few bugs).

Like me. I've tried (and failed) to play FC2 more times than I can recall and I can >never< get very far. I love FC3 and 4 (especially 4), so maybe I'm just weird. It just never grabs me and feels more like a job. Maybe because it's jungle and Savannah instead of jungle island or mountains? I dunno. Whatever it is, I can't seem to get through it. But then, I can't seem to get through Mass Effect 1, either, for much the same reasons, so go figure.

As for Blood Dragon, I freakin' loved it! Sure, it wasn't as fleshed out as FC3 and it got tedious at points but the atmosphere and the humor along with the retro-80's aesthetic was just great. And I think what was really awesome was that it totally came out of left field, no one was expecting it and it was a nice surprise. I try to play it at least annually. (Even though I can't be arsed to finish any other games)

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 15:30 Solemn-Philosopher

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 12:17:
The only Far Cry I played apart from the first game was Blood Dragon. Think Ill keep it that way.

If Blood Dragon didn't have the humour and the atmosphere, it would have been a mediocre game.

I wouldn't judge the Far Cry games on Blood Dragon. It was just a modded and simplified version of the Far Cry 3 that was meant to be a humorous throwback to 80s post-apocalypse films.

I mean, if you just don't like open world FPS games, than maybe the series just isn't for you. However, the games have been good.

Some people didn't like Far Cry 2 as much, but that was because it aimed to be a more realistic survival shooter than an action shooter (it also had a few bugs).

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

8. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 14:56 Wallshadows

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 13:43:
it's like judging new york city based on Staten Island.

But it's a water-front property so it has that going for it...

7. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 13:43 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 12:17:
The only Far Cry I played apart from the first game was Blood Dragon. Think Ill keep it that way.

If Blood Dragon didn't have the humour and the atmosphere, it would have been a mediocre game.

Blood dragon was very mediocre. I loved fc3 and fc4, but found the stripped down blood dragon tedious. If you're judging the series based on that, it's like judging new york city based on Staten Island.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 12:37 Lord Tea

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

5. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 12:36 HorrorScope

Pro Tip: If you want to speed up your game play... Drop the difficuly level lower or mod god mode or something else in, save $$$'s.

When was the last time a AAA game was hard on the easy setting?

4. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 12:17 VaranDragon

3. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 11:11 Creston

We made our game so grindy that we gave you the ability to pay extra to not have to play it. No surprise, since AC Origins had the same bullshit, but on the same day when EA announces they're killing their paid progression, this is yet again an utterly tone deaf announcement by Ubisoft.

2. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 10:48 Leper

You know the gameplay is good when they sell ways to bypass it.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >