Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy π day! This celebration of mathematics is apparently also turning into a celebration of pie, as this article outlines places in the U.S. where one can find deals on pies, both the dessert and the pizza varieties. And while you are enjoying your pie, be sure to calculate its area using whatever handy formula pops into your mind.

R.I.P.: Stephen Hawking, physicist who came to symbolize the power of the human mind, dies at 76.

Link Pie: Thanks Ant.
Play: Spark Chess
Links: Celebrate Pi Day.
Diver William Walker spent five years under Winchester Cathedral to restore the building's foundations.
Stories: Why some mathematicians refuse to celebrate 14 March and won’t observe the dessert-filled day. Because jerks?
Ford recalls almost 1.4M cars; steering wheel can come loose. Is that bad?
Science: Poop to save planet as boffins devise bullsh*t way of extracting gas.
This 'enigmatic' feathered dinosaur didn't fly like modern birds. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Stephen Hawking on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Greyhound Dogs Song. Much Wow.
8 Bit Door Chime Plays Africa By Toto.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2018, 10:22 Prez

Well having no small children in my house means the only safety I need is between by ears.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2018, 17:40 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 12:55:
Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 09:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 20:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 19:07:
SCHOOLS
Now Safer Than Ever!
Teacher’s Gun Is Accidentally Fired During Public Safety Class, Injuring 3 STUDENTS.

More guns will fix that.

Considering all guns have safeties and the first thing you learn is never to disable it unless you mean to shoot, I am pretty sure that was no accident

Not trying to refute anyone's point as I find the irony of someone being injured by the instructor's firearm in a firearm safety class he was teaching positively delicious, I just wanted to point out that actually not all guns have safeties. I have two Glock pistols that don't. At least not in the sense most people think about. There is no specific switch mechanism that will engage to preclude the gun from firing.

Hot damn I thought you were joking until I googled this... wow my .. I am baffled! From my (very short!) basic training in military (admittedly already some long time ago) ALL weapons had trigger safeties and I just wantonly assumed Americans wouldn't violate this highest of safety commandments with public firearms of all things. But apparently it's not just legal but I just read the bullshit excuse Glock gave for this and am even more baffled.

And military training included Russian (NVA) and German (BW) weapons. So obviously the P8 / G3 in my case. And P8 from HK had a safety lever and a lock lever (not sure what they are called in english), only the special forces version didn't have that.
dude!!!
the trigger is the safety!

Quick, supply the teachers!

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2018, 12:55 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 09:40:
SCHOOLS
Now Safer Than Ever!
Teacher’s Gun Is Accidentally Fired During Public Safety Class, Injuring 3 STUDENTS.

More guns will fix that.

Considering all guns have safeties and the first thing you learn is never to disable it unless you mean to shoot, I am pretty sure that was no accident

Not trying to refute anyone's point as I find the irony of someone being injured by the instructor's firearm in a firearm safety class he was teaching positively delicious, I just wanted to point out that actually not all guns have safeties. I have two Glock pistols that don't. At least not in the sense most people think about. There is no specific switch mechanism that will engage to preclude the gun from firing.

Hot damn I thought you were joking until I googled this... wow my .. I am baffled! From my (very short!) basic training in military (admittedly already some long time ago) ALL weapons had trigger safeties and I just wantonly assumed Americans wouldn't violate this highest of safety commandments with public firearms of all things. But apparently it's not just legal but I just read the bullshit excuse Glock gave for this and am even more baffled.

And military training included Russian (NVA) and German (BW) weapons. So obviously the P8 / G3 in my case. And P8 from HK had a safety lever and a lock lever (not sure what they are called in english), only the special forces version didn't have that.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2018, 09:40 Prez

SCHOOLS
Now Safer Than Ever!

More guns will fix that.

1badmf wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 23:34:

this is the part that the gun lobby knows and have been trying to bury for decades - the mere presence of guns increases the likelihood of a gun related incident something like 10 fold regardless of training. arming teachers will only do in schools what guns in the general population have done - a handful of justified uses that's completely buried by a mountain of accidents and incidents from people who should've never had access.

Again not trying to make a point just correct an inaccuracy. Believe me I am no fan of the gun lobby but gun safety is high on their list because they are aware of the added danger of the prevalence of firearms. It's kind of self-evident really - does anyone really need a statistical representation or a study to tell them that the addition of a dangerous thing into the mix makes the overall situation more dangerous? That's kind of like someone doing a study that proves that you are 1000% more likely to be in a car accident on the interstate than you are in your living room. Kind of obvious.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2018, 09:51.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 23:34 1badmf

SCHOOLS
Now Safer Than Ever!

More guns will fix that.

this is the part that the gun lobby knows and have been trying to bury for decades - the mere presence of guns increases the likelihood of a gun related incident something like 10 fold regardless of training. arming teachers will only do in schools what guns in the general population have done - a handful of justified uses that's completely buried by a mountain of accidents and incidents from people who should've never had access.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 22:10 Osc8r

RIP. What an amazing human.  

41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 20:13 eRe4s3r

SCHOOLS
Now Safer Than Ever!

More guns will fix that.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 19:07 RedEye9

SCHOOLS
Now Safer Than Ever!

More guns will fix that.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 18:46 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 17:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:30:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:06:
Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 13:54:
“They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. Things can get out of a black hole, both to the outside, and possibly, to another universe. So, if you feel you are in a black hole, don’t give up. There’s a way out.”

Hawking, what a champ.

Nice quote Cutter. Of course, when you get pulled into a black hole, the gravitational difference between your feet and your head means you'll get stretched 92 miles long.

So that means I can finally reach the top cupboard? Awesome!

Well the rest of my body will finally match my johnson. Hi-o!

Seriously though, another universe? I wonder if meant parallel or other part of the universe. I think that's why I always loved Roger Zelazny's Amber series so much. The idea that reality is malleable and you could create or at least find all manner of fantastical places through will alone.
Just reread the Amber series a few months ago. So good.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 18:30 RedEye9

Anakaris wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 13:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 11:46:
An US auto manufacturer making silly/stupid design errors? I am shocked. SHOCKED!
It's a good thing no auto manufacturer ever used a product from a manufacturer based in Japan. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags

Your comment leaves out a surprising amount of useful information.

From Wikipedia:
"In April and May 2013, a total of 3.6 million cars were recalled due to defective Takata airbags.[11] All of those airbags were made at, or otherwise used inflator units manufactured by, Takata's Monclova Plant[16] in Coahuila, Mexico, operated by Takata's North American/Mexican subsidiary, TK Holdings Inc.[17] In November 2014, BMW announced they will move any orders from the Mexican plant to a Takata plant in Germany.[18]

In June 2014, Takata admitted their Mexican subsidiary had mishandled the manufacture of explosive propellants and improperly stored chemicals used in airbags. Identifying vehicles with defective airbags was made more difficult by the failure of TK Holdings Inc. to keep proper quality control records. That prompted another round of recalls in June 2013.[11]"

Archived documents indicate the airbag components were manufactured in Mexico and the US.
Even more surprising info, said airbags went into cars made by:

Acura, Audi (VW), BMW, Cadillac (GM), Chevrolet (GM), Chrysler, Daimler Trucks North America (Sterling Bullet), Daimler Vans USA LLC (Sprinter), Dodge/Ram (Chrysler), Ferrari, Fisker (Karma),
Ford, GMC (GM), Honda, Infiniti (Nissan), Jaguar, Jeep (Chrysler), Land Rover (Jaguar Land Rover), Lexus (Toyota),
Lincoln (Ford), Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, Mercury (Ford),
Mitsubishi, Nissan, Pontiac (GM), Saab (GM), Saturn (GM), Scion (Toyota), Subaru, Tesla, Toyota, Volkswagen

There are pages of documentation, lawsuits etc that I also failed to post. The point i made was already recognized by the op.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2018, 18:43.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 17:38 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 17:04:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:35:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:20:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 14:41:
What an odd coincidence that Stephen Hawkings died the day before Pi Day!
Did I miss something? Both articles I read said he died on Wednesday the 14th, not Tuesday the 13th?

Yeah, I think it was already Wednesday in GBR when he passed. So he did go on pi day!

I feel lucky we had the guy for 76 years. Usually people with ALS die decades earlier.

Hence why there's an image going around of Siri telling people "Stephen Hawking died tomorrow, March 14th."

I was playing a game last night around 9 or 10 PM (or thereabouts) when someone posted in trade chat "RIP Stephen Hawkings." I wanted to post a message in "Into the Black" but figured it would appear in Out of the Blue, the next morning. The point is he technically did die on 3/14 but Brittish time. For West Coast Americans (like me), it happened on 3/13. Given the person, thought you guys would appreciate the time dilation.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 17:38 Creston

El Pit wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 12:22:
A good part of intelligent life on Earth has just left the planet. RIP.

Yeah the average IQ on the planet dropped quite a bit because of this. Look on the bright side, though: When Trump kicks the bucket it'll make up for that loss and then some.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 17:36 Creston

afka Rossini wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 12:54:
Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 12:01:
afka Rossini wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 11:42:
The only thing that seems to have stuck was when he said (paraphrasing) that, much like trying to go south of the south pole, you can't go back to a time before the beginning of the big bang.

Are you sure it was Hawking that said that? I seem to recall he was always pretty firmly in the time travel = impossible camp.

And that's why I'm no super genius. Mr. Tact explains what I meant much better than I could.

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 12:11:
He didn't say it in the context of going backward in time. He said it in the context of the question, "What was there before the Big Bang?" It is essentially saying the question makes no sense.

Ah, makes sense.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 17:25 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:08:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 14:47:
derp
Please refrain from defaming the man when he cannot defend himself.
He was athiest for christs sakes http://time.com/5199149/stephen-hawking-death-god-atheist/

Hey, C'mon. The bible actually got that part right!

To Redeye the Bible is something to be hated and treated as a pariah of "myths and fables." Notwithstanding this, science, archeologists, and historians have all stated, repeatedly, it is a book that contains unquestionable facts, and cannot be dismissed en masse. For example, Genesis 3:19 "For dust you are and to dust you will return."

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 17:13 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 14:47:
Please refrain from defaming the man when he cannot defend himself.
He was athiest for christs sakes http://time.com/5199149/stephen-hawking-death-god-atheist/

Don't tell me what to do hater.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 17:04 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:35:
Did I miss something? Both articles I read said he died on Wednesday the 14th, not Tuesday the 13th?

Yeah, I think it was already Wednesday in GBR when he passed. So he did go on pi day!

I feel lucky we had the guy for 76 years. Usually people with ALS die decades earlier.

Hence why there's an image going around of Siri telling people "Stephen Hawking died tomorrow, March 14th."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 17:00 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 15:30:
“They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. Things can get out of a black hole, both to the outside, and possibly, to another universe. So, if you feel you are in a black hole, don’t give up. There’s a way out.”

Hawking, what a champ.

Nice quote Cutter. Of course, when you get pulled into a black hole, the gravitational difference between your feet and your head means you'll get stretched 92 miles long.

Well the rest of my body will finally match my johnson. Hi-o!

Seriously though, another universe? I wonder if meant parallel or other part of the universe. I think that's why I always loved Roger Zelazny's Amber series so much. The idea that reality is malleable and you could create or at least find all manner of fantastical places through will alone.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 15:35 jdreyer

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 15:30 eRe4s3r

Hawking, what a champ.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo