Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed

Obsidian announces a new May 8th deadline for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, saying they are taking a few extra weeks to polish their RPG sequel for a signature bug-free release (okay we added that last part, which may be an exaggeration). Here's word:

We know you're as excited as we are about the upcoming launch of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. As you have probably guessed, Deadfire is a huge game -- significantly larger than the original Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian has been working harder than Abydon himself to make every inch of it awesome, as well as incorporating all the great feedback we have been getting from everyone playing the Backer Beta.

With this in mind, we are taking just a few extra weeks to polish and put those finishing touches on the game.

Our new launch date will be Tuesday, May 8th, 2018. To tide you over until then, you can look forward to plenty of Deadfire-related news and content coming in the weeks and months ahead.

See you all soon in the Deadfire!

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed Mar 14, 2018, 15:11 CJ_Parker

Check out this article on PC Gamer for an explanation on ship combat:

https://www.pcgamer.com/watch-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfires-ship-combat-in-action/

*snip*

Ship combat, which is turn-based, takes place on a separate screen with its own dedicated interface. There’s a circle showing you which way your ship is facing relative to the enemy, and you command your crew by selecting items on a menu. You can use a turn to reposition your ship, speed up to get closer to your opponent, slow down to create some distance, or fire your weapons. Your cannons are only effective at specific ranges, however, which makes positioning important. If you’re trading paint with the enemy, your long range guns will be useless. An illustration showing the enemy ship, its distance, and its current level of damage is an at-a-glance way to see how the battle is going.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed Mar 14, 2018, 14:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 11:44:
I just don't see how that engine is going to do ship to ship combat?

As far as I understand it, there isn't ship to ship combat, like you are probably thinking of (Abandon Ship, Blackwater, etc.)

There are text based ship encounters, like some of the PoEt 1 encounters, and ship based battles, where effectively the static map is a ship(or ships) and you control your party like normal.

So, ship combat like BG2 or Divinity: Original Sin 2, where the ship at that point is just the background.

*Note, I do not have the beta, so I may be wildly inaccurate.

4. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed Mar 14, 2018, 11:44 Creston

I just don't see how that engine is going to do ship to ship combat?

3. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed Mar 14, 2018, 11:12 CJ_Parker

Yeah, I won't be touching it before the GOTY (or Obsidian edition if they're going to stick with that one instead of having an actual GOTY named as such) in 2020.

Delay or not... you just know that an Obshittian release day version is going to be complete garbage for many months to come.

Besides, the expansions won't be out for a long time anyway. I'm gunnah play this in one nice big package with both exp packs once they are done fixing, milking, DLCing and patching in 2020/2021. No rush.

2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed Mar 14, 2018, 07:23 MattyC

The first PoE was kind of a mess (hear me out) for a long time too. I think that is just the nature of the beast here. I imagine that with time they will work out the issues with II, just like they did with the original.  

1. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed Mar 14, 2018, 06:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Noooooooooooooooo!

Not that surprising though, really. Looking at their forums, their beta seems to still have some mechanics up in the air, I'm sure their internal build is more advanced, but still.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo