Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Kerbal Expands

Private Division and Squad announce the release of the Making History expansion for Kerbal Space Program, furthering your chance to get in touch with your inner space mogul. The title includes an added pun, as central to the release is a mission editor. Here's word:

Private Division and Squad today announced that Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion is now available for PC. Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion is the first expansion for the critically acclaimed space sim and adds a wealth of new and exciting content to the game, including a robust Mission Builder that lets players create and share their own scenarios, and a History Pack containing missions inspired by historical moments in space exploration.

The Mission Builder is a new feature that puts the process of creating and editing missions in players’ hands with endless possibilities. Players can customize their own missions to include launches, landings, rescues, malfunctions, explosions, repairs, and other events. Unique victory conditions, exciting challenges, and unexpected obstacles provide an array of possibilities in these missions. Players can share the missions they created with the Kerbal Space Program community.

Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion also features a History Pack containing a variety of pre-made missions inspired by humankind’s own space exploration. From spacewalking to crash landing on the Mun and everything in between, players can attempt to recreate iconic moments inspired by historic events, but with a unique Kerbal twist. Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion also includes a number of new parts and astronaut suits inspired by the Space Race that players can use throughout Kerbal Space Program.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 22:10 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 08:21:
The April cutoff is when the game launched Early Access on Steam. Before April you could only buy it via their website and that included a line saying "includes all future content" unlike the steam early access version. I think it's actually incredibly decent of Take 2 to remember this promise.

That would make sense. I had never heard of it before I saw someone on my Steam friends list playing it. I took a look at the store page for it and instantly bought it.

Numinar wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 05:16:
Those mods are awesome, no frame rate issue with scatterer, though I don't turn on all the features. (being mods and not QA'd game features, almost all have settings/sliders that allow you to wreck your game).

SVE recommended using it with Scatterer. With the default settings for Scatterer I could get 144 FPS everywhere, but only got 30 FPS on the launch pad with a 3-part rocket. I tried tweaking the options, but it didn't seem to improve the frame rate.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 17:32 eRe4s3r

Zoom wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 14:46:
With full mod packs such as Astronomer's, and SVT for detailed terrain graphics, the game looks glorious (though 8K textures require a hefty amount of RAM). Mod support is still fantastic, playing with FAR for extra realism, and a few part mods, the game expands a lot. I've sunk about 1200 hours into it and i'll probably do some more...

I am just hoping SSTU (and submods) gets updated soon, I can't play KSP without procedural engines and fuel tanks anymore, and the materials tool of course.

9. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 14:46 Zoom

With full mod packs such as Astronomer's, and SVT for detailed terrain graphics, the game looks glorious (though 8K textures require a hefty amount of RAM). Mod support is still fantastic, playing with FAR for extra realism, and a few part mods, the game expands a lot. I've sunk about 1200 hours into it and i'll probably do some more...  

8. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 10:20 eRe4s3r

Frode wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 10:10:
The April cutoff is when the game launched Early Access on Steam. Before April you could only buy it via their website and that included a line saying "includes all future content" unlike the steam early access version. I think it's actually incredibly decent of Take 2 to remember this promise.
After some googling it looks like it went on Steam in March, but they honor purchases through April and thus early Steam buyers also gets the DLC. (I bought my copy on Steam in April, and did.)

You are right and that's pretty classy of them

And checking I actually bought this for 15$ on 8th June 2012 via website and regged the key on steam in July 2013 ... wow how fast time flies.

Either way, you get a pretty decent mission builder which is an incredibly strong visual scripting tool, far far beyond anything the contracts do right now, and I hope mods can integrate these types of missions into career contracts. From what I've seen you can make an entire space race campaign with this. The toolset is there at least, some parts are missing but for that you have mods.

7. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 10:10 Frode

After some googling it looks like it went on Steam in March, but they honor purchases through April and thus early Steam buyers also gets the DLC. (I bought my copy on Steam in April, and did.)

6. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 08:21 eRe4s3r

MeanJim wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 01:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 20:27:
Hey, gotta hand it to them, bought it April 2013 and thus got my expansion for free.

When they announced this I remember reading that early adopters would get it and future DLC for free. I bought it in when it was alpha version 0.20, so I thought anyone that bought it during the alpha or early access would qualify as an early adopter. I didn't know about the April 2013 cutoff until this morning. I checked my Steam account and saw I missed the April cutoff by a little over a month. What was so special about April 2013? I'm going to pick it up anyway, not cry and throw a tantrum like people are doing on the forums.

I paid less than $15 for the game during the alpha and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it, so they've earned another $15 from me. I played the crap out of it up until Beta, then came back at 1.0 and started a new career, but the bugs and memory and leaks in that release combined with the crap ton of mods I had installed began causing crashes once I had a few missions going. I came back to it again after 1.2, but I never started a career game because I was waiting on some mods to get updated. While waiting, patches kept coming which kept delaying mods, and I eventually moved on to other things.

I was getting ready to fire it up again and finally get into a career game. I was installing mods and making sure everything was just right when they announced the expansion, so I decided I might as well hold off for it.

I watched the Twitch release stream this morning. They mentioned that with the changes made with 1.4, that it should reduce breaking mods with every minor release, so here's hoping once the mods I want to use catch up, I'll finally get to play through a career.

Also makes you realize how incredibly stupid slow the games development has been. The takeover by whoever took over, I kinda already forgot, seems to be absolutely a good thing, now to revamp the god awful planet graphics and maybe add some actual things to discover on the planets...

Take 2 took over as publisher, but I believe Squad still owns the IP. I remember people dropping negative reviews on KSP when Take 2 forced the shutdown of some GTA V mods, which sadly some are still there. When I fired it up this morning, my first time since 1.4 release, it had a logo for some company called Private Division during loading. I looked them up and it's a new publishing co. formed by Take 2 for helping indie and small developers. Recently there was a lot of whining over the new EULA, which nobody ever reads anyway.

It's only been 2 years since its official release. It was in development for a long time before that though. I remember there was a bit of drama a while back and a lot of devs left. There's a pretty much a whole new team now, and they're located all over the world. It's not a typical team sitting in an office working on the game 9-5, they're scattered all over the world.

I also wish they would add stock weather/clouds and shaders. The mod I previously used for clouds (EVE I think) has been merged into a new one called Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain (SVE and SVT for short). I've tried Scatterer, and it looks great, but it tanks the frame rate so hard when on the surface of a planet. I used SVE and SVT for clouds and better terrain, Texture replacer to change out the ugly ass default skybox, and Distant Object Enhancement to make the game look better.

This also means that the time you added the key on steam is irrelevant, because (for me, for example) I bought it on their website before April and only added it to steam in July 2013. And they still honored their promise. As I said, this gets them MASSIVE kudos from me. It's the most decent thing a publisher has ever done. That promise is more than 5 years old, after all.

5. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 05:16 Numinar

MeanJim wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 01:52:
Hey, gotta hand it to them, bought it April 2013 and thus got my expansion for free.

When they announced this I remember reading that early adopters would get it and future DLC for free. I bought it in when it was alpha version 0.20, so I thought anyone that bought it during the alpha or early access would qualify as an early adopter. I didn't know about the April 2013 cutoff until this morning. I checked my Steam account and saw I missed the April cutoff by a little over a month. What was so special about April 2013? I'm going to pick it up anyway, not cry and throw a tantrum like people are doing on the forums.

I paid less than $15 for the game during the alpha and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it, so they've earned another $15 from me. I played the crap out of it up until Beta, then came back at 1.0 and started a new career, but the bugs and memory and leaks in that release combined with the crap ton of mods I had installed began causing crashes once I had a few missions going. I came back to it again after 1.2, but I never started a career game because I was waiting on some mods to get updated. While waiting, patches kept coming which kept delaying mods, and I eventually moved on to other things.

I was getting ready to fire it up again and finally get into a career game. I was installing mods and making sure everything was just right when they announced the expansion, so I decided I might as well hold off for it.

I watched the Twitch release stream this morning. They mentioned that with the changes made with 1.4, that it should reduce breaking mods with every minor release, so here's hoping once the mods I want to use catch up, I'll finally get to play through a career.

Also makes you realize how incredibly stupid slow the games development has been. The takeover by whoever took over, I kinda already forgot, seems to be absolutely a good thing, now to revamp the god awful planet graphics and maybe add some actual things to discover on the planets...

Take 2 took over as publisher, but I believe Squad still owns the IP. I remember people dropping negative reviews on KSP when Take 2 forced the shutdown of some GTA V mods, which sadly some are still there. When I fired it up this morning, my first time since 1.4 release, it had a logo for some company called Private Division during loading. I looked them up and it's a new publishing co. formed by Take 2 for helping indie and small developers. Recently there was a lot of whining over the new EULA, which nobody ever reads anyway.

It's only been 2 years since its official release. It was in development for a long time before that though. I remember there was a bit of drama a while back and a lot of devs left. There's a pretty much a whole new team now, and they're located all over the world. It's not a typical team sitting in an office working on the game 9-5, they're scattered all over the world.

I also wish they would add stock weather/clouds and shaders. The mod I previously used for clouds (EVE I think) has been merged into a new one called Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain (SVE and SVT for short). I've tried Scatterer, and it looks great, but it tanks the frame rate so hard when on the surface of a planet. I used SVE and SVT for clouds and better terrain, Texture replacer to change out the ugly ass default skybox, and Distant Object Enhancement to make the game look better.

Those mods are awesome, no frame rate issue with scatterer, though I don't turn on all the features. (being mods and not QA'd game features, almost all have settings/sliders that allow you to wreck your game).

I think the cut off matches the Steam Release. It was sold outside of steam before that. I didn't get the DLC either but they can have my money next time I'm ready to play. One of the most important games ever made, if it influences just a few genius kids to take the aerospace path.

4. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 01:52 MeanJim

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 01:17 Burrito of Peace

Can they just fix the fucking landing gear problem, please?  

2. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 13, 2018, 20:27 eRe4s3r

1. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 13, 2018, 19:47 Cutter

Don't fake it baby, lay the real thing on me....

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo