Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fortnite Accounts Hijacked

A story on Kotaku discusses reports of players losing access to their Fortnite accounts to hackers, saying this has impacted "dozens" of players, so this not an epidemic by any means. The bad news for these players is that although the game is free to play, the hijacked accounts are frequently used to make in-game purchases. It's not clear if there's a security issue, or if people are leaking credentials on their own, but Epic tells Kotaku they are aware of the reports:

Reached by e-mail, an Epic spokesperson told Kotaku, “We are aware of instances where users’ accounts have been compromised using well-known hacking techniques and are working to resolve these issues directly with those players affected. Any players who believe their account has been compromised should reach out to our player support immediately.”

Epic Games recently added an option to enable two-factor authentication on players’ accounts, which is always a good idea no matter what you’re doing online. The developer also posted a security checklist for players concerned that their accounts could be vulnerable.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 13, 2018, 15:16 Kxmode

It's 2018. Why is this still a thing? Answer. An idiot and their money are soon parted.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 13, 2018, 07:34 eRe4s3r

|RaptoR| wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 23:50:
My Epic account password was unique to Epic Games, and it was hijacked.

Teaches you about linking paypal automatic payments to anything without 2FA

5. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 13, 2018, 04:28 Muscular Beaver

|RaptoR| wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 23:50:
I am a Senior Network Engineer by trade. Been in the industry for over 15 years. I use Dashlane to generate passwords for all of my logins, so each one is unique and rotated quarterly.

My Epic account was hijacked last month, and I had made the unfortunate mistake of having my Paypal account linked for automatic billing. I had 3 transactions for $109.99 each (the max size of Fortnite currency that can be purchased in one go), all at 10am EST while I was at work.

I immediately opened a case, reset the account password, unlinked Paypal, and started the dispute process. Paypal denied the dispute, because to them it looked like a legit charge. 17 days passed on the Epic ticket before I tracked down their community team on Reddit and sent a PM to each and every one of them explaining what was going on. To their credit, I got the refund and hour later -- but holy shit, 17 days without so much as a "case created" email?

I attached transaction logs from Paypal, email receipts from the store, so on and so forth.

Anyway, I'm really only replying to say this:

Interesting that PayPal would deny it. Or maybe they do that when its about big companies. They would never deny it when I was scammed by a buyer via PayPal and thus I lost hundreds of dollars.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

4. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 13, 2018, 00:16 jacobvandy

Hmm, maybe the automatic lock is even newer than that, then? AFAIK the 2FA was only added this year when stuff like this started happening enough for them to notice, but lately it's been really bad. Seems every other post on Reddit is someone trying to get Epic's attention about it. The worst part is, buying stuff on someone else's account doesn't really benefit the hijacker in any way I can think of, like you can't transfer any of the things that microtransactions unlock, so all they're doing is trolling...  

3. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 12, 2018, 23:50 |RaptoR|

I am a Senior Network Engineer by trade. Been in the industry for over 15 years. I use Dashlane to generate passwords for all of my logins, so each one is unique and rotated quarterly.

My Epic account was hijacked last month, and I had made the unfortunate mistake of having my Paypal account linked for automatic billing. I had 3 transactions for $109.99 each (the max size of Fortnite currency that can be purchased in one go), all at 10am EST while I was at work.

I immediately opened a case, reset the account password, unlinked Paypal, and started the dispute process. Paypal denied the dispute, because to them it looked like a legit charge. 17 days passed on the Epic ticket before I tracked down their community team on Reddit and sent a PM to each and every one of them explaining what was going on. To their credit, I got the refund and hour later -- but holy shit, 17 days without so much as a "case created" email?

I attached transaction logs from Paypal, email receipts from the store, so on and so forth.

Anyway, I'm really only replying to say this:

Playing: Overwatch, Monster Hunter: World, Heroes of the Storm
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

2. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 12, 2018, 19:36 jacobvandy

It's really inevitable with any high-profile game that the playerbase becomes a target for shit like this... However, I'm pretty sure these victims just have really bad account security habits. They use the same password everywhere and so when one of them is compromised, the rest of their accounts are at risk.

I know for a fact that Epic has an automatic account lock feature for repeated failed login attempts (it happened to me over the weekend while I was busy playing another game), so if you get hijacked, that means they knew your password somehow. Then there's the 2FA, which apparently a lot of people don't bother enabling.

So if you leave the door wide open like that, AND keep a payment method saved to your account... You might end up with hundreds or thousands of dollars in unwanted microtransactions on your tab, which is a pain in the ass to get rectified because extreme, rapid growth means Epic is literally months behind on answering support tickets.

1. Re: Fortnite Accounts Hijacked Mar 12, 2018, 19:10 Cutter

Are the hijackers taking them to Entebbe?

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo