Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2

IGN has a look at State of Decay 2, saying Undead Labs undead zombie sequel will be released on May 22nd. They feature a trailer with a first look at them playing the game, along with word that it will not feature any microtransactions. These have been a lightning rod for controversy lately, and it's a sign of the times that it's newsworthy when they are not part of a new game's design. They offer an indirect quote from the studio boss on the topic: "Jeff Strain, the studio head of Undead Labs, confirmed to IGN there won't be any microtransactions in the upcoming zombie survival game."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 18:30 jamiedj99

be funny if micosoft did a hostile take over of Steam and made it a windows store app  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 17:30 Overon

I'm glad that no lootboxes is now considered a feature that is bragged about.  

10. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 17:30 Moog

Loved SoD1.

Even if I was on Win10, I wouldn't touch the MS Store with a fucking bargepole, so no sale here.

9. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 16:59 jamiedj99

they can always be added later after you cant return the game  

8. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 15:37 HorrorScope

I liked the first a lot. Looking for improvements and coop for the 2nd. But win10 store I almost certainly will wait. I’m not sure what would have to come out for me to use that.  

7. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 14:23 jdreyer

This game never really grabbed me. I think I was annoyed at the interface and feel like I had to use the controller to play it. It felt very consoley.

As for MTs, as long as they don't affect gameplay (i.e. the game is difficult/impossible without them) and as long as there's no gambling lootbox element, I guess I don't care too much.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

6. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 14:01 Prez

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 10:33:

Are you serious? It's a Win Store only title for PC? Wow that was a fucking boneheaded decision that's going to hurt them big time. I like SoD too though there were a lot of negatives to it. And it was really slimy of them to stop updating the game simply so they could sell a GOTY version instead. I'm sure they'll probably pull that again so I wouldn't buy SoD2 because of that.

Well on the developer page faq the answer to the question "Will it be on Steam?" is currently "Stay Tuned". Which I take to mean when Microsoft learns that Windows Store exclusive games sell like crap and allow it on Steam much later like they did with Quantum Break. But we'll see.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 13:05 maddog

I don't mind that it's Windows 10 store and Win10 only. I enjoyed the first and hope that this is good as well.

I wish more game companies would release open world zombie games that are good. Would love to see the Just case 3 or GHost Recon Wildlands engine in a zombie game.

The only thing that bugged me about the first SoD was the brown hue that was cast over everything. Give me vibrant colors dammit.

4. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 12:19 Lord Tea

it's a sign of the times that it's newsworthy when they are not part of a new game's design

Spot on comment. Couldn't agree more. To me it's also a sign of knowing when to quit gaming, perhaps for good. It's not as bad yet because there are still many indie developers with excellent products and there is plenty of great abandonware stuff available. But with all the AAA titles getting commercialized to the max I'm glad to have other hobbies.

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

3. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 11:08 Cutter

Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 10:33:
I loved State of Decay. In my opinion it is the one and only zombie survival game that has gotten it right. I loved the little dynamic stories that would pop up and, as in all classic games, you made plenty of memorable personal stories while playing. So to read that this is a Microsoft "Play Anywhere" title (not that I'm at all surprised) dropped my excitement level from maximum down to right around zero. Call me when they inevitably realize making it only available via the godawful Windows Store guarantees dogshit sales (EDIT: On PC) and release it for real gaming platforms.

Are you serious? It's a Win Store only title for PC? Wow that was a fucking boneheaded decision that's going to hurt them big time. I like SoD too though there were a lot of negatives to it. And it was really slimy of them to stop updating the game simply so they could sell a GOTY version instead. I'm sure they'll probably pull that again so I wouldn't buy SoD2 because of that.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

2. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 10:39 Beamer

I played State of Decay briefly when it came out on the Xbox, and almost liked it, but it triggered a few of my gamer OCDs in a bad way:

1) When I was playing, there was a bug with the alarms or something, in that alarms (or alerts, or whatever) were constantly going off, and I felt the need to constantly respond to them, which meant I was constantly doing that kind of high risk low reward thing. That's a bug in the game and a bug in me, but it quickly sapped the fun

2) I didn't like the human management system. I try to keep everyone to see everything, and this game wasn't letting me. People disappearing, needing saving, etc. Much like how New Vegas bugged me by not letting me explore all of the companion stories in the manner I wanted. Bug in me.

It's been a long, long while, so I don't remember these complaint well, just remember thinking the game had a ton of potential, but two main things were offputting to me (one of which admittedly was a bug not patched during my play.) But, as I've mentioned here before, I prefer games that allow me to be an all-powerful god if my skill level is high enough. Survival horror isn't about that, so it always falls a bit weak to me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 10:33 Prez

I loved State of Decay. In my opinion it is the one and only zombie survival game that has gotten it right. I loved the little dynamic stories that would pop up and, as in all classic games, you made plenty of memorable personal stories while playing. So to read that this is a Microsoft "Play Anywhere" title (not that I'm at all surprised) dropped my excitement level from maximum down to right around zero. Call me when they inevitably realize making it only available via the godawful Windows Store guarantees dogshit sales (EDIT: On PC) and release it for real gaming platforms.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2018, 10:45.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo