Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

So after almost a week, our neighbor got her power back. When we realized Con Ed employees were babysitting her downed power line 24/7 it struck me they were using a lot of manpower to make up for not having a qualified person to spend an hour hooking her back up. It turns out I was being conservative, because I went out to walk the dogs and she was still in the dark, but when I returned 45 minutes later the lights were on and the truck was already heading home. I just remain thankful we avoided that tree... it probably would have prompted the purchase of a generator.

R.I.P.: Ken Dodd Dead- British Comedian and Entertainer was 90.

Powerful Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Starfire: Asteroids of the Swarm.
Link: Valve lets us loose in its new offices, unlocks the doors to a rare merch room. Thanks David.
Stories: Christopher Darden on O.J. Simpson Interview- ‘He Confessed to Murder.’
Eisenberg Keen To Return As Lex Luthor. After already being the worst part of a bad movie.
Northeast braces for third nor'easter in just 10 days.
Science: Elon Musk: we must colonise Mars to preserve our species in a third world war.
Media: The Broccoli Tree: A Parable.
Airfish 8.
Motorcycle Helps Rider Recover Runaway Horse.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2018, 20:22 Mr. Tact

Back to the subject of Tesla's profitability... I saw this today and thought it was interesting:

"As a reality check, Tesla is worth twice as much as Ford Motor Co, yet Ford made 6 million cars last year at a $7.6 billion profit while Tesla made 100,000 cars at a $2 billion loss."
-- John Thompson of Vilas Capital

That's not to say it is the end of the story for Tesla. Musk may yet pull it off. However, it does provide the scale of the problem...

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2018, 11:27.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2018, 14:43 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 13:36:
Yeah.. like I said earlier I should have known better. I'll make an effort to be more restrained in the first few minutes after I have read something...

I guess it's "DeVos is dumb, but she's not THAT dumb."

I was taken in for the first 30 seconds or so, too. When I have the text maxed on my phone, I don't always see who the poster is.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2018, 13:36 Mr. Tact

Yeah.. like I said earlier I should have known better. I'll make an effort to be more restrained in the first few minutes after I have read something...  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2018, 13:08 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 22:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 21:42:
Betsy DeVos Calls “60 Minutes” a Waste of a Half Hour
OMG. The DeVos quotes is the article are amazing.
Calling her interviewer, Lesley Stahl, a practitioner of “gotcha journalism at its worst,” DeVos said that it was “very unfair of her to ask me so many questions about education.”

“She asked me one thing about schools, and then another, and another,” she said. “If I had to answer every question she had about schools, I would have had to bone up on education for a month.”
I actually skipped the DeVos segment on that episode of 60 minutes because I figured DeVos wouldn't say anything worth hearing. But her post interview comments are so hilarious I might have to watch it anyway...
Borowitz is very good at what he does, I quit emailing his stories because folks were believing them (we live in strange times). His link is in my sig, and you should know to liberally apply Poe's Law to 99.9% of my posts. {wink}

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2018, 08:18 Mr. Tact

Yes, I realize operating at a loss in the early years of existence is a "tried and true" business model/method. That said, it is not a method which always succeeds. I did say they might become profitable...  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2018, 01:21 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 22:48:
How are you defining a "successful all-electric car company"? Tesla Motors certainly isn't a profitable one, at least so far. I'd have to check on Space-X but my guess would be it isn't profitable either, yet. Will they be eventually? Possibly. Until then the definition remains in flux...

Amazon's profit...
https://i.imgur.com/cwwlkcf.png

And those upticks in the 2000s are mostly ~100 million.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 22:48 Mr. Tact

How are you defining a "successful all-electric car company"? Tesla Motors certainly isn't a profitable one, at least so far. I'd have to check on Space-X but my guess would be it isn't profitable either, yet. Will they be eventually? Possibly. Until then the definition remains in flux...  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 22:42 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 21:14:
I don't think I'd being willing to call him a "visionary genius". He is however a smart, driven, excellent salesman who is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

His primary skill appears to be his willingness and ability to push through the doubters and execute his ideas. Musk didn't invent the idea of an all electric car. What he did do was some "outside of the box" thinking about what an electric car should be. He then followed through with the idea making it a reality. The same for Space-X. The idea of making reusable engines or landing rockets wasn't something "no one had ever thought of". But he was willing to ignore the naysayers, attempt to make it work, and use some of his own money to help it get moving.

He deserves a lot of credit for his accomplishments.

He's not visionary in the sense that he was the first one to think up electric cars or reusable vertical-landing rockets. He's visionary in the sense of, as you put it "push through the doubters." People thought such ideas were the realm of science fiction until he built a successful all-electric car company, or vertical landing rocket. Believing these things were possible in the present is the vision.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 22:41 Mr. Tact

You are correct. Poor reaction on my part. I should have known better, it was too perfect. Should have taken a moment to think, "did she really say that?"

"If it sounds too good to be true..."

At least I don't need to watch the segment now...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 22:37 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 22:34:
Calling her interviewer, Lesley Stahl, a practitioner of “gotcha journalism at its worst,” DeVos said that it was “very unfair of her to ask me so many questions about education.”

“She asked me one thing about schools, and then another, and another,” she said. “If I had to answer every question she had about schools, I would have had to bone up on education for a month.”
I actually skipped the DeVos segment on that episode of 60 minutes because I figured DeVos wouldn't say anything worth hearing. But her post interview comments are so hilarious I might have to watch it anyway...

It's satire, like the onion but more realistic and less funny. I kind of hate borowitz.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 22:34 Mr. Tact

13. removed Mar 12, 2018, 21:42 RedEye9

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 13, 2018, 07:57.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 21:14 Mr. Tact

I don't think I'd being willing to call him a "visionary genius". He is however a smart, driven, excellent salesman who is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

His primary skill appears to be his willingness and ability to push through the doubters and execute his ideas. Musk didn't invent the idea of an all electric car. What he did do was some "outside of the box" thinking about what an electric car should be. He then followed through with the idea making it a reality. The same for Space-X. The idea of making reusable engines or landing rockets wasn't something "no one had ever thought of". But he was willing to ignore the naysayers, attempt to make it work, and use some of his own money to help it get moving.

He deserves a lot of credit for his accomplishments.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2018, 22:28.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 20:30 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 19:23:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:38:
As for Elon Musk, I think there's little doubt that we're he's a genius visionary who can execute. He's kind of like a combination of Henry Ford and Howard Hughes, but without all the eccentricities.

Wth are you talking about? All he does is repackage existing ideas as new ones. He's not even a savy businessman. If he hadn't of lucked out with Paypal no one would have ever heard of him. All his ideas are money losers he props up with his own money. Virtually everything he proposes is just elitist bullshit that will never go anywhere.

LOL, whatever Cutter. I don't see anyone else in the world with a successful all-electric vehicle car company. Now that he's shown it can work, all of Europe is demanding cars covert their models to electric, and all the majors are following suit.

Also, I don't see anyone else landing rockets vertically and reusing them.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 19:23 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:38:
As for Elon Musk, I think there's little doubt that we're he's a genius visionary who can execute. He's kind of like a combination of Henry Ford and Howard Hughes, but without all the eccentricities.

Wth are you talking about? All he does is repackage existing ideas as new ones. He's not even a savy businessman. If he hadn't of lucked out with Paypal no one would have ever heard of him. All his ideas are money losers he props up with his own money. Virtually everything he proposes is just elitist bullshit that will never go anywhere.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 17:24 Capella

Damn you nailed it. Perfectly said.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 15:38 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 13:39:
It does not even have to be a war that ends life on earth as we know it.
Asteroids, Volcanoes, Methane Ocean Burp, Solar Flare, MegaCane (large hurricane (think Jupiters "great red spot"), disease, famine, the list goes on and on.

Elon Musk has brilliant ideas. Setting up a backup of the human race on Mars is just another fine example.

No, no, NO! Everyone knows that The Megacane is when the Flying Heavenly Sugarcane that watches over us returns to earth to smother us with His sweet juicy goodness, transporting us all to Candyland, His Paradise in Heaven!

7. Re: Elon Musk: we must colonise Mars to preserve our species in a third world war Mar 12, 2018, 15:19 jdreyer

Leper wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 11:22:
Why? So we can build up Mars and then destroy it too? If we destroy our planet our species should end right then and there. Anyway, if/when Mars holds any value then there'll be missiles trained at it also.

It's a lot easier to nuke a target 10,000 miles away than it is 100,000,000 miles away. I doubt you could afford to fire enough nukes to wipe out the planet, and there won't be atmo in Mars for millenia, so much harder to wipe out all human settlements there. Also, at such distances, you have plenty of time and opportunity to shoot them down. Directed energy weapons are especially effective from the Martian surface due to the lack of atmosphere, and current breakthroughs suggest such weaponry will be both plentiful and inexpensive.

6. Christopher Darden on O.J. Simpson Interview- ‘He Confessed to Murder.’ Mar 12, 2018, 15:17 SlimRam

Me and the wife watched that last night and I have to say that that was one of the most disturbing interviews I have ever seen. My blood seemed to literally run cold when he's describing his "hypothetical" involvement of the night of the murders with 'Charlie'. They showed one long shot of all the blood and Nicole crumpled at the front door and I had never seen that shot before (just the bloody walkway). She was butchered. The blood ran all the way down the walkway cracks and into the driveway... Sad  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2018, 14:22 Kxmode

A game called Sea of Thieves is coming out next week on Xbox and Windows. It is quite popular on Twitch and looks like a swashbuckling grand time! Unfortunately, for Windows, it is only available in one place, Window's App Store. That's a NOPE purchase!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo