Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

White House Game Summit Recap

The Washington Post has a recap of yesterday's meeting at the White House with proponents and critics of the game industry, as some try to lay the blame for real-world gun violence on the virtual violence of video games. The article is vague, however, as the meeting was held behind closed doors, leaving it to attendees to interpret the President's position on the topic, since he was not sharing it publicly. Attendees were apparently shown this video with a supercut of scenes from violent games, but there's no word if this drove them to start shooting each other. This includes the "No Russian" scene from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, so... no collusion? Here's an excerpt where Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) knocks the whole process, and Media Research Council president Brent Bozell "respectfully" asks others to "stop playing politics," as he notes that at least three of the well over 200 school shootings in the United States in the past 20 years were perpetrated by students who have seen video games:

Along with Bozell and Hartzler, Trump also included lawmakers like Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Rep. Martha Roby (R-Ala.). After the meeting, Rubio acknowledged there is no evidence linking violent video games to the tragedy in Parkland. But he said he wanted to ensure “parents are aware of the resources available to them to monitor and control the entertainment their children are exposed to.”

One Democratic lawmaker who was not in attendance, however, derided Trump’s effort, saying it overshadowed the real issue in their minds — seeking new restrictions on gun sales.

“Focusing entirely on video games distracts from the substantive debate we should be having about how to take guns out of the hands of dangerous people,” Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) said in a statement.

“I’m willing to look at anything and everything that may help address the gun violence epidemic that has swept our country — including addressing the culture of violence many see in America today,” he said. “But there is an urgent need now for meaningful action on extreme risk protection orders, expanded background checks, and banning assault weapons. Blaming video games or the entertainment media for the 90 American lives lost every single day to gun violence is an unacceptable excuse to avoid talking about serious policy proposals.”

In the past, some conservatives have slammed Democrats for seeking to limit the sale of guns after mass shootings rather than exploring perceived causes, like media violence. Bozell, in fact, raised the issue in 2013 following the attack on Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

And on Thursday, he sharply disagreed with his critics.

“I would ask them respectfully for once to stop playing politics. If you care about this issue, you will look at Jonesboro, Ark.; Columbine; Newton, Conn.,” said Bozell. “In so many other places where you had mass shootings by children and every instance I just gave, that child who was the shooter was watching violent video games.”

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 10, 2018, 12:17 El Pit

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 08:24:
The NRA has sued Florida after it passed a gun control law to protect children. Wayne LaPierre is complicit.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43352078

FINALLY! People from Florida must have the same right to shoot whoever they wa... ehm... to protect themselves against a Cuban invasion, an alligator invasion, an alien invasion, a Mexican invasion, and an invasion by neighbors who got the wrong door because they have returned drunk from their birthday parties. SHOOT AND PROTECT!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 10, 2018, 08:24 RedEye9

The NRA has sued Florida after it passed a gun control law to protect children. Wayne LaPierre is complicit.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43352078

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

53. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 10, 2018, 02:56 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 22:26:

Can anyone explain the "'Murika! Support the Troops!" mentality that also stocks weaponry in case they need to overthrow the tyranical government? Isn't that kinda, you know, a pretty direct contradiction?

Not only is it a contradiction, it's also a fantasyland. We've seen what happens when a bunch of guys with long rifles tries to go up against the might of the US military in Iraq and Afghanistan. It does not end well (viewer discretion).

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

52. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 10, 2018, 00:34 YourNick

That video looks like clips from horror films which have been around for decades. What's new?  

51. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 23:55 Numinar

Fucking idiots. Might as well ban males or ban masturbating. The science is probably more solid there.

Now to read the comments to look for trumps wannabe cock holsters and see how they handwave this bullshit...

50. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 23:48 Alamar

Darks wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:11:
Primalchrome wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:04:
I'm a gun owner. I hunted as a kid/young adult. I play a metric shit ton of video games.

School shootings are either a gun problem....or a mental health problem. All of you 'thoughts and prayers' fucknuts know this. So get off your fucking stick and either we go with revamping healthcare or we revamp gun control. Moving either one a few steps toward a modern/rational solution would do wonders. You can't have *both* being a shitshow designed to benefit corporations.

You sound like you had about the same up bringing that I had. I did all those things too. this is a mental issue and nothing else.

kids are not disciplined anymore and they are out of control. thank the CPS for this. They went over board on over protecting kids and not allow patents to discipline their kids. thank you social media.

I hope this is sarcasm... This line of thinking is just as ridiculous as blaming games for gun massacres... ~200 events, across tens/hundreds of millions of kids in the scenario you state...

49. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 22:26 Primalchrome

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 17:40:
It's gotten to be such a pain in the ass for law abiding gun owners, but it still hasn't really done anything for crime. Half of the bullshit gun laws....
No offense, dude...but where the hell do you live? Due to certain circumstances (not intent/choice), I currently have enough weaponry to comfortably outfit a scratch platoon....with plenty of magazines as spares. No hyperbole in that statement. I've never had a single issue acquiring a reasonable firearm or accessory. Frankly, it's too damn easy.

Can anyone explain the "'Murika! Support the Troops!" mentality that also stocks weaponry in case they need to overthrow the tyranical government? Isn't that kinda, you know, a pretty direct contradiction?

48. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 20:23 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 18:56:
Quboid wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 18:18:
Reporting that leads to copycats is reporting that glorifies the killer. Stuff like this utter disgrace, literally giving a murderer the rock star treatment. But hey, sales doubled...

Definitely report on the event, the victims, even the killer - but save reporting on the killer to a dry paragraph deep in the article or towards the end of the TV segment. Inform, but don't make killers famous.

I feel like that speaks to my point. If people will snap up Rolling Stone magazine to learn more about the Boston bomber, doesn't that suggest that if large media outlets don't report this kind of information, people will find somewhere that does?

I think the question is, do people want to know more about these killers? And if the answer is yes, we're kind of stuck because that kind of thing's easy to find on the Internet. And it also gives free rein to sites that swear that the Florida shooter was an anti-NRA Democrat, or a member of a white supremacist group, or whatever.

Although, I may not be understanding the context here. That Rolling Stone cover is pretty extreme, literally a rock star treatment. I don't think most shooters get that.

Thankfully no, they don't. That's the worst I've seen.

This information does need to be out there, both because people have a right to know and because, as you say, people will find out anyway and proper reporting is at least somewhat more reliable than most sources. Speaking of the Boston marathon bombing, afterwards Reddit was pointing out every brown person with a backpack who was there.

It would be nice if all large media outlets be more responsible (less focus on the killer) but there's no reason why they would. I don't know of any way to enforce responsible reporting even in countries without the 1st amendment.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

47. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 20:17 Saboth

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 19:08:
Nucas wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 17:28:
the willingness to hack and slash away at the first amendment in the absolute, devotional defense of the second amendment is kind of disturbing.
You're right, it's terrifying.

If through some series of events a tyrannical government was put into place in the US, it will be the free flow of information that brings it down, not guns.

46. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 19:36 jdreyer

I was expecting clips from Mortal Kombat and Manhunt 2. I am disappoint.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

45. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 19:08 RedEye9

the willingness to hack and slash away at the first amendment in the absolute, devotional defense of the second amendment is kind of disturbing.
You're right, it's terrifying.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

44. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 18:56 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 18:18:
Reporting that leads to copycats is reporting that glorifies the killer. Stuff like this utter disgrace, literally giving a murderer the rock star treatment. But hey, sales doubled...

Definitely report on the event, the victims, even the killer - but save reporting on the killer to a dry paragraph deep in the article or towards the end of the TV segment. Inform, but don't make killers famous.

I feel like that speaks to my point. If people will snap up Rolling Stone magazine to learn more about the Boston bomber, doesn't that suggest that if large media outlets don't report this kind of information, people will find somewhere that does?

I think the question is, do people want to know more about these killers? And if the answer is yes, we're kind of stuck because that kind of thing's easy to find on the Internet. And it also gives free rein to sites that swear that the Florida shooter was an anti-NRA Democrat, or a member of a white supremacist group, or whatever.

Although, I may not be understanding the context here. That Rolling Stone cover is pretty extreme, literally a rock star treatment. I don't think most shooters get that.

43. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 18:18 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 18:05:
saluk wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 17:49:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 14:10:
Right, because nobody does this for the instant notoriety the press issues them. Oh, wait...

Why do they do it has many answers and no one really knows for sure which would have the biggest impact. Would not repeating there names or making a big deal about it on the news prevent them? Maybe. I do think that's one avenue that could be looked into.

How they do it though is a well known and solvable problem.

I'll bend a little on 1st amendment if you do on 2nd. Fines or losing tax breaks for news organizations above a certain income who report on stories in ways that may lead to copycats. If the penalties are to the corporation and not to individuals I'm kinda OK with that.

It just seems unworkable to me in the Internet age. What kind of reporting leads to copycats? Is the idea that the news outlets don't even report on the school shooting? Students and teachers dead, the area cordoned off with SWAT teams and helicopters on scene, communication on publicly available police and emergency radio bands, and the local and national outlets just agree not to say anything about it? People posting about their dead children or classmates, and nothing? Someone gets booked on 17 counts of first degree murder and no one jumps on that publicly available information? So they just leave it to bloggers?

It just seems to me that the end game would be people getting all their news from sites that don't even have reporters. Or is that we want to immediately jump to a state-owned media, like the totalitarian Chinese, and straight up imprison people for crimes against the state to scare them into submission?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

42. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 18:05 Orogogus

saluk wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 17:49:
Right, because nobody does this for the instant notoriety the press issues them. Oh, wait...

Why do they do it has many answers and no one really knows for sure which would have the biggest impact. Would not repeating there names or making a big deal about it on the news prevent them? Maybe. I do think that's one avenue that could be looked into.

I'll bend a little on 1st amendment if you do on 2nd. Fines or losing tax breaks for news organizations above a certain income who report on stories in ways that may lead to copycats. If the penalties are to the corporation and not to individuals I'm kinda OK with that.

It just seems unworkable to me in the Internet age. What kind of reporting leads to copycats? Is the idea that the news outlets don't even report on the school shooting? Students and teachers dead, the area cordoned off with SWAT teams and helicopters on scene, communication on publicly available police and emergency radio bands, and the local and national outlets just agree not to say anything about it? People posting about their dead children or classmates, and nothing? Someone gets booked on 17 counts of first degree murder and no one jumps on that publicly available information? So they just leave it to bloggers?

It just seems to me that the end game would be people getting all their news from sites that don't even have reporters. Or is that we want to immediately jump to a state-owned media, like the totalitarian Chinese, and straight up imprison people for crimes against the state to scare them into submission?

41. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 17:49 saluk

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:55:
mch wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:43:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:22:
Everyone wants more restrictions on the 2nd amendment. How about more on the first?

No.
When was the last time someone murdered innocent kids with the first amendment. Oh right, never.

40. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 17:46 Mr. Tact

Really? Forty comments on this nonsense already? The subject is so brain dead I couldn't even bring myself to completely read what Blue posted -- let alone read any articles about it. Do yourselves a favor, ignore it. It isn't going anywhere.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

39. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 17:40 Agent.X7

Oh please. For a century the government has been hacking away at the 2nd with restriction after restriction. It's gotten to be such a pain in the ass for law abiding gun owners, but it still hasn't really done anything for crime. Half of the bullshit gun laws are because politicians watch too many movies. MOVIES. They get their information from MOVIES. Does that not strike you as ridiculous? When Carolyn McCarthy wanted to ban barrel shrouds, she DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY WERE. Politicians think silencers work like they do in games and movies and that you could start killing people in a crowded room without anyone knowing, when the reality is that even though they help make the firearm close to hearing safe, they are still loud enough that everyone nearby knows a gun is being fired.

What controls are on the 1st? You're liable for what happens if you lie and someone gets hurt and they catch you in the lie. That's pretty much what it boils down to. (Libel, slander, yelling "fire" or "bomb" in a crowded place.) Meanwhile the press is free to manipulate people any way they like.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

38. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 17:28 Nucas

37. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 16:32 DangerDog

Technology just hasn't reached the point where children can be placed in full censorship mode over seeing violent imagery.

Watch BLACK MIRROR- Arkangel, I can see something like this being implemented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zf4rJO6UBk

36. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 16:29 Creston

“In so many other places where you had mass shootings by children and every instance I just gave, that child who was the shooter was watching violent video games.”

"In so many other places where you had mass shootings by children and every instance I just gave, that child who was the shooter had purchased a semi-automatic rifle, and had a history of medical illness."

It's funny how every other country in the world has kids playing these devil video games, and they wind up not shooting up schools. Oh wait, it's because they can't buy guns. And they give a shit if people are mentally ill.

In any case, clearly the answer that the politicians are looking for here is more bribes from the gaming industry. If money donated by gaming industry >>> money donated by NRA, then they will start talking about sensible gun control.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo