Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Plans to Make Games

PC Gamer has word from Gabe Newell that Valve is going to break back into the game development business. The company has struggled in the past with deadlines for both software and hardware development, but the Valve boss says they are now at a point where he thinks they can handle both at once:

Newell gave some background on Valve's projects from the last few years, like SteamVR and the Vive headset, explaining that the company was worried about the PC heading in the direction of an iPhone-esque closed ecosystem. "You can see that Microsoft was like, wow, how can we make Windows more like that? Or Zuckerberg is saying, 'well I tried to compete in the phones, I got my ass kicked, so I'm going to create this new thing, VR, which will allow me to recreate the kind of closed, high margin ecosystem that Apple's done.' And that really started to worry us, because we thought that the strength of the PC is about its openness … So we started to make some investments to offset that."

Those investments, Newell said, meant they hadn't released a new game since Dota 2—but that work wasn't wasted time. "The positive thing about the Vive is, in addition to making sure that nobody created an iOS closed platform for it, was also that it gave us the opportunity to develop our in-house expertise in hardware design. Five years ago, we didn't have electrical engineers and people who know how to do robots. Now there's pretty much no project in the hardware space that we wouldn't be comfortable taking on. We can design chips if we need to, we can do industrial design, and so on. So that added to that."

With Valve's new hardware chops, it seems like we can expect more than new games from the company. "We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo," Newell said. "When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 16, 2018, 09:21 Dev

I like to sometimes believe there's actual reasons behind the lack of HL3, rather than just valve being too lazy with the flat management structure and desks wheeled out of that group... Maybe I have too much faith in humankind.

So it's possible they've been developing HL3 VR for years, thinking that will be the title that gets VR mass market appeal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 16, 2018, 09:14 Dev

How did I miss this thread?!

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 10:48:
Handle both at once? Are you trying to imply that they currenrly are adequately handling the running of their digital distribution service? Because that would be funny. Hysterically, ironically funny. Have you SEEN the garbage you are selling Valve? Have you checked into how your customer service operates? Have you observed the behavior of the many cretins you allow to sell their crap on it? If by "handling" you mean making lots of money while doing as little as humanly possible, then okay, you're handling it I guess. I just don't see this mechanism crossing over into game development though. I'm not a developer but I know enough to know that for a game to be made, someone has to actually DO something at some point.

Oh I completely agree, and in fact all their moves in last years can be seen as avoiding work (they straight out said in the greenlight announcement that they wanted community doing boring work for them).

They'd actually have to wheel their desks away from the TF2 hats floor though to do it.

50. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 14, 2018, 20:09 eRe4s3r

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 11:37:
Why isn't this thread filled with HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!! ?

You guys are getting slow...

Maybe because literally nobody cares about Half Life anymore

49. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 18:00 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 10:05:
I'm not exactly sure why folks are still craving HL3.

I'm probably one of the few that thinks HL2 wasn't all that great. (Compared to the first game... and obviously not talking graphics improvements)

/shrug

1. You're crazy.

2. You're crazy.

3. How dare you not like something everyone else likes.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

48. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 11:51 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 10:27:
Yeah your post made me curious so I went and looked myself. Right now the Nintendo Store's Switch games section is sitting at 500 games. Checking specifically under indie games I recognized far more indie titles than those I didn't. And the majority are fairly highly rated on Steam. Yeah there are some dubious sounding stinkers in there but the level of saturation is a fraction of a fraction of what Steam has. Keeping in mind that the Switch is only a year and change old just look at what Steam has done in that time. In 2016 Steam added over 4000 games to its library. That was under Greenlight. In 2017 Steam added over 6000 under the even worse Steam Direct program. Putting it in perspective, in less than 2 years more games were added to Steam' s library than were added over the previous 13. And being a browser myself I check those new games being added regularly. It is almost incomprehensible how bad the vast majority of these games are. Half of them do look like they took about 15 minutes to cobble together in Unity or Game Guru.

I went to look, and on the first page of 40 I recognize 9 games or at least their franchises. Maybe 5 or 6 of the remainder look like they're guaranteed to be glorified Flash games (e.g. Spot the Difference, Grid Mania, Air Hockey). Further, there are no ratings, and it looks like they had customer reviews but removed them. This just seems super bad.

I don't know, I've never had a problem with Steam letting in garbage, either. It just seems like there are tons of ways to find out about interesting new games which don't involve trawling through the new releases at random. Like, Target and Walmart have super good curation and quality control, but somehow I'm buying all my stuff from Amazon, which kind of doesn't.

I have a much bigger problem with mobile app stores, where they apparently let you sell an app with the exact same name as an existing app, so even knowing the name of something you want to buy it can be hard to find.

47. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 10:59 MattyC

Yes... make games. Indeed.

46. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 10:27 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 20:06:
Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 19:43:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 19:24:
Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 15:42:
[..] and moving to the Switch where they have a reasonable chance of their games not being buried under an avalanche of shit

Got news for ya, there's an avalanche of shit on the online Switch store too.

I wouldn't know and frankly that is not the point. I am reporting what more than one ex-PC game developer has publicly gone on record saying.

Well then they're mistaken, they're going to run into the same issue there.
It's not really a new problem to retail. Product placement is everything, and you have to pay the retailer for the preferential placement. Otherwise you're just one unit in a sea of units.

I was actually surprised at the amount of shit in the Switch store, it really resembles Steam and Google Play in that regard. Personally I never browse to find games but I was curious about what Nintendo's store was offering.

Yeah your post made me curious so I went and looked myself. Right now the Nintendo Store's Switch games section is sitting at 500 games. Checking specifically under indie games I recognized far more indie titles than those I didn't. And the majority are fairly highly rated on Steam. Yeah there are some dubious sounding stinkers in there but the level of saturation is a fraction of a fraction of what Steam has. Keeping in mind that the Switch is only a year and change old just look at what Steam has done in that time. In 2016 Steam added over 4000 games to its library. That was under Greenlight. In 2017 Steam added over 6000 under the even worse Steam Direct program. Putting it in perspective, in less than 2 years more games were added to Steam' s library than were added over the previous 13. And being a browser myself I check those new games being added regularly. It is almost incomprehensible how bad the vast majority of these games are. Half of them do look like they took about 15 minutes to cobble together in Unity or Game Guru.

I understand product visibility has been a real concern in retail forever, but nothing matches the pure oversaturation
of zero-quality garbage of Steam's library.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

45. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 10:05 wtf_man

I'm not exactly sure why folks are still craving HL3.

I'm probably one of the few that thinks HL2 wasn't all that great. (Compared to the first game... and obviously not talking graphics improvements)

/shrug

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

44. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 10:00 RedEye9

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 09:31:
So, basically, they're making consoles now. How utterly pointless and irrelevant. *yawn*
You have not been following the thread.
Because Steam has too many sub-par games on the shelves it is forcing sub-par developers to flee the pc market and flock to consoles en masse, hence Steam will follow and make consoles. /sarc /sigh
Sources for the above statement do not exist. sorry

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

43. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 09:31 ForgedReality

So, basically, they're making consoles now. How utterly pointless and irrelevant. *yawn*  

42. Re: Valve Plans to Make Game Mar 10, 2018, 04:20 Slick

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, it's hard as fuck to get a product on shelves in a big box store. There is an arduous review process, and the fail rate is north of 98%. As opposed to valve where the fail rate is 0.1%

Software IS slightly different though, A comparison could be made to Android, or the PC platform in general.

Still, if your entire revenue model is just a storefront, and you don't have to pay for any development of the products you sell, you should be able to review them to make sure they work.

We're not talking about subjective "fun quotient" like Tipsy suggests, we're talking about broken ass games. Goat Simulator was a game that worked, there wouldn't be any problem listing it on the store. A review doesn't mean judging the subjective qualities of games, but the objective qualities of games.

If the game provides a reasonably well-rounded experience, the content doesn't matter. If however, the game is essentially an unfinished flash browser plugin, then it should *probably* be held back.

Not having a live chat or call center for their millions of customers is one thing (For Valve issues, not in-game issues, that would have to be handled by the devs/publishers of the games themselves obviously), but not even having the most basic review process just further leans on free crowdsourcing.

Valve was built by crowdsourcing unpaid talent, from user reviews/2-hour refunds, to the mod community. Most Valve games are just mods that they bought the rights to:

- Dota 2
- Portal
- Team Fortress
- Counterstrike
- Garry's Mod
- Left 4 Dead
- Day of Defeat
- Ricochet

ALL mods or taken from other people's work.

The last ORIGINAL IP that valve has come up with is Half-Life in 1998. That was 20 years ago.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

41. Re: Valve Plans to Make Game Mar 9, 2018, 22:41 [VG]Reagle

BS The ONLY thing Newell is worried about is how to get up from his seat after eating 85 jelly fucking donuts. WTF??!?  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

40. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 21:20 Turd Ferguson

oliversl wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 20:12:
HL3, there is hope!

More like Half Life IIII Jester

39. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 20:12 oliversl

HL3, there is hope!  

38. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 20:06 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 19:43:
[..] and moving to the Switch where they have a reasonable chance of their games not being buried under an avalanche of shit

I wouldn't know and frankly that is not the point. I am reporting what more than one ex-PC game developer has publicly gone on record saying.

Well then they're mistaken, they're going to run into the same issue there.
It's not really a new problem to retail. Product placement is everything, and you have to pay the retailer for the preferential placement. Otherwise you're just one unit in a sea of units.

I was actually surprised at the amount of shit in the Switch store, it really resembles Steam and Google Play in that regard. Personally I never browse to find games but I was curious about what Nintendo's store was offering.

37. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 19:56 Ant

Prove it, Valve.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

36. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 19:52 YourNick

"...he's thinking what is the controller going to look like"
Why I prefer PC, use the controller that I want to use, not what they think I want to use.

35. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 19:43 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 19:24 Sepharo

33. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 19:05 Turd Ferguson

Well, seems to me that Valve is allergic to number 3...  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo