Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Outage Fix and Compensation

Oculus is reaching out to customers after yesterday's outage with help for those who still can't get their Oculus Rift headsets working, and some compensation for those affected by their system's downtime. They don't confirm or deny that an expired security certificate cause the problems, but offer instructions on how to unbrick systems and collect some credits:

We've just released an Oculus software update that fixes an issue where Rift may fail to start up. If you're receiving the error “Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service,” you'll need to manually update your Oculus software before you can use your Rift.

To patch your Oculus software, you'll need to download 'OculusPatchMarch2018.exe' at https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/. Run the executable, and select “Repair”. When the update is finished, launch the Oculus desktop app to continue the update process. Once the update is complete, you'll be able to use your Rift.

A step-by-step walkthrough is available here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

A manual update is only necessary if you're unable to start the Oculus desktop app - if you aren't seeing an error, the system will update itself to the new version automatically.

We’re very sorry for the disruption today. We’re providing a $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) to people impacted by this issue. If you used Rift on or after February 1st, 2018 this credit will be added to your account automatically within the next 7 days. See this page for info about Oculus Store credits.

Sorry again for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks for choosing Rift.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 23:38 <Electric-Spock>

Stormsinger wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 19:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 18:03:
bigspender wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 17:51:
I mean it's good about the compensation, but at the same time they're kind of admitting that they monitor when you are using your hardware....
That is plainly spelled out in the TOS.
...and it's an absolute show stopper for anyone even slightly concerned about security and privacy. They have offered not a single decent reason for the invasive practices they've chosen to implement.

Well, it's Facebook we are talking about here. Their business model is selling peoples information. The reason that eludes you is cash money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: That is rather nice of them Mar 8, 2018, 22:49 Mr. Tact

Talisorn wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 22:17:
CA Certs are not DRM.
Yes, yes, yes. We have been through this. SSL is not DRM. The DRM check simply failed due to an expired SSL certificate. Or to say it another way, the DRM requires a functional SSL connection.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: That is rather nice of them Mar 8, 2018, 22:17 Talisorn

Bard wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 12:53:
The only compensation I think should be made is to REMOVE THE STUPID DRM being used!

/facepalm

CA Certs are not DRM.

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:30 Luke

We have put the straw back up your A.. again so now it works flawless

And the zombies go....ohhhhhhhhh

8. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:22 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 18:03:
I mean it's good about the compensation, but at the same time they're kind of admitting that they monitor when you are using your hardware....
...and it's an absolute show stopper for anyone even slightly concerned about security and privacy. They have offered not a single decent reason for the invasive practices they've chosen to implement.

7. Re: Oculus Rift Outage Fix and Compensation Mar 8, 2018, 18:03 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

6. Re: Oculus Rift Outage Fix and Compensation Mar 8, 2018, 17:51 bigspender

5. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 8, 2018, 15:27 Armengar

elite dangerous is one of the cheaper good vr software. you can pick it up for a fiver quite often. it plays very well in VR as long as you have a hotas.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

4. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 8, 2018, 13:59 Orogogus

Saboth wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:38:
I wonder about the game prices in the store. Are they so high that a $15 credit basically brings them down to a "normal" price?

They're about the same as Steam prices. Link

If you mean VR games in general, there aren't many $60 VR games out there. The only one that comes to mind is Fallout 4 VR, which is Steam-only, and Bridge Crew is $40 (EDIT: Sorry, meant to type $50). Most of the bigger games launch at $40, and there's plenty of stuff at $20-30. The issue isn't that everything's too expensive, it's that it's generally not well fleshed-out or polished compared to equivalently priced non-VR games.

The Oculus store is a lot better than it was a year ago, having implemented a lot of catch-up features to put it close to parity with Steam -- a refund policy, selecting install drives, reviews & ratings visible in non-VR, a section for free games, discounts on bundles when you already own one or more games, wishlists, and a more interactive home environment. But I already committed to Steam back when the Oculus store was garbage, so I generally still buy on Steam when a game is available in both storefronts. Oculus might want to consider something like GOG Connect, because otherwise I'm probably never going to bother building a library with them, especially since I don't know if my next headset will be compatible with the Oculus store.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2018, 19:44.

3. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 8, 2018, 13:38 Saboth

I wonder about the game prices in the store. Are they so high that a $15 credit basically brings them down to a "normal" price?  

2. Re: That is rather nice of them Mar 8, 2018, 12:53 Bard

The only compensation I think should be made is to REMOVE THE STUPID DRM being used!

If it doesn't operate without an internet connection - fix it so that it does.

1. That is rather nice of them Mar 8, 2018, 11:54 Hanneth

Most companies, even if you pay a monthly fee, just tell you to suck it up. Even Loot Crate, which seems to be chronically late now, barely offers an apology. Good on you Facebook!
Though on the software front, VR is very much in the early adopters phase, I don't regret buying the Rift and would recommend it to others.
For me, it was a Rift, or a 28 inch 4K monitor and I think I made the right choice. Especially with the exact future of monitors being in flux right now.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo