Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

If a possible mass shooter wants to hone his craft, don't hand him a virtual boot camp (Opinion) - CNN.
"My argument here is not that virtual reality games are going to cause people to become violent, or that law enforcement or the military, for example, shouldn't have access to them. But if a possible mass-shooter wants to hone his craft, we shouldn't hand him an over-the-counter digital boot camp."

CNN Editorial Claims Games Are 'Virtual Boot Camps' For Mass Shooters - Jim Sterling on YouTube.
"An unbelievable editorial published this week joins in on resurrecting long-discredited claims that violent videogames can train you as an effective killer."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 22:31 Primalchrome

YourNick wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 23:25:
How much training do you really need to point a gun and pull the trigger...
Very little. Now if you want to hit a target...a great deal. Particularly in the field.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 19:22 YourNick

With machine guns who cares if you aim sucks, shooting a gazillion times a second statistics says you're gonna hit targets.  

28. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 18:52 Stormsinger

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:34:

How badly do you want to hit your target? I see people all the time at the range who think they are GI Joe and they are the worst shots because they have no training. Those are the people who think they will survive in an apocalypse and are actually going to be among the first to die.
They, and the poor bystanders they hit while firing madly somewhere near a target. I feel bad for the bystanders. Far too many people -do- seem to get their ideas about guns from action films...those are the very people who should not be allowed to handle them, much less own them.

27. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 12:34 Agent.X7

How badly do you want to hit your target? I see people all the time at the range who think they are GI Joe and they are the worst shots because they have no training. Those are the people who think they will survive in an apocalypse and are actually going to be among the first to die.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

26. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 09:45 RedEye9

Saboth wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 07:58:

If games have taught me anything, it's that a guy running around with a knife and certain perks and loadouts can easily take down 20 or 30 people armed with assault rifles, machine guns, submachine guns and sniper rifles.

These kids are receiving this kind of training in these deadly games. Even where the best camping spots are, which walls are bugged, where the spawn points are. Crucial skills for mass shootings.
+1

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

25. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 09:15 YourNick

Ya games are programmed mostly for fun, not simulations about how to kill in real life.

Can probably learn more relevant info from YouTube, like 1000 WW2 soldiers taking on 20,000 Spartan soldiers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8OVD2AVkkI

Potential shooters probably learn more from watching news reports about previous shooters, such as getting kids out of classrooms by triggering the alarm system.

24. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 07:58 Saboth

If games have taught me anything, it's that a guy running around with a knife and certain perks and loadouts can easily take down 20 or 30 people armed with assault rifles, machine guns, submachine guns and sniper rifles.

These kids are receiving this kind of training in these deadly games. Even where the best camping spots are, which walls are bugged, where the spawn points are. Crucial skills for mass shootings.

23. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 23:25 YourNick

22. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:56 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 19:53:
We're saying the same things
I know...and that was originally in my post. Somehow in all the editing, that line got deleted. LOL

21. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:53 Sepharo

Stormsinger wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 19:19:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 18:24:
Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:15:
There are so many imcomprehensibly stupid assertions in this opinion piece that I literally don't have the time to address them all. Or even half of them. Thankfully most of this incredibly clueless writer's points are so idiotic that they hardly need rebuttals; anyone with the intellect above that of a small child and even a remote grasp on reality should be able to recognize the overall stupidity of what he is saying.

Yeah his suggestions for game mechanics are moronic.

As far as the general argument about "training". I disagree with the muscle memory and aiming stuff, but there is a bit of a point to the gun literacy one can learn in a VR simulator... but it's certainly not a reason to ban them. Knowledge/information should not be suppressed. This would be akin to banning flight simulators after 9/11.
Flight simulators are a perfect example of how you -can- train for something in a virtual environment. I picked up flying RC planes in literally 10 minutes, due to the thousand or so hours I had spent in sims. His specific claims may be mostly bogus, but there's a kernel of truth to the general idea.

We're saying the same things

20. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:19 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 18:24:
There are so many imcomprehensibly stupid assertions in this opinion piece that I literally don't have the time to address them all. Or even half of them. Thankfully most of this incredibly clueless writer's points are so idiotic that they hardly need rebuttals; anyone with the intellect above that of a small child and even a remote grasp on reality should be able to recognize the overall stupidity of what he is saying.

As far as the general argument about "training". I disagree with the muscle memory and aiming stuff, but there is a bit of a point to the gun literacy one can learn in a VR simulator... but it's certainly not a reason to ban them. Knowledge/information should not be suppressed. This would be akin to banning flight simulators after 9/11.
Flight simulators are a perfect example of how you -can- train for something in a virtual environment. I picked up flying RC planes in literally 10 minutes, due to the thousand or so hours I had spent in sims. His specific claims may be mostly bogus, but there's a kernel of truth to the general idea.

19. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 18:30 Mr. Tact

Hoop wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 15:04:
We had a young man here killed when hit by a golf ball to the temple, standing to one side of his friend teeing off. I'm appalled his killer most likely trained on golf simulators his whole life.
I have no idea if you are simply trying to make a point or telling the truth -- either way it give me an opportunity to say something I've always wanted to mention:

At PGA tournaments, the people who line the planned path of the ball after a golfer has landed his ball beyond where the spectators were -- are absolutely insane... we now return you to the previous programming.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Ooh, I got one too! Mar 8, 2018, 18:24 Sepharo

17. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 15:54 Primalchrome

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:49:
Hey, you never responded to me.
Damnation...missed that the first time around. Well done.

16. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 15:29 Slick

And kids playing Cowboys and Indians in the 1950's were really just running a racist extermination simulator!  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

15. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 15:04 Hoop

We had a young man here killed when hit by a golf ball to the temple, standing to one side of his friend teeing off.
I'm appalled his killer most likely trained on golf simulators his whole life.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 14:50 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:49:
WaltC wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:31:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 10:51:
The witch hunt continues...

CNN: Fake News Kings (well, it's close between the NYT and CNN...;)) "If it's dumb and stupid, chances are CNN has already said it."

JD, you're a funny man.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

13. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 13:50 Saboth

After playing Subnautica, I built a massive submarine and explored deepest parts of our oceans.

CNN is not fake news, these are editorials, and there are obviously misinformed people on both sides. The conservatives are doing the same thing.

12. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 13:49 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:31:

CNN: Fake News Kings (well, it's close between the NYT and CNN...;)) "If it's dumb and stupid, chances are CNN has already said it."

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

11. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 13:31 WaltC

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo