Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

If a possible mass shooter wants to hone his craft, don't hand him a virtual boot camp (Opinion) - CNN.
"My argument here is not that virtual reality games are going to cause people to become violent, or that law enforcement or the military, for example, shouldn't have access to them. But if a possible mass-shooter wants to hone his craft, we shouldn't hand him an over-the-counter digital boot camp."

CNN Editorial Claims Games Are 'Virtual Boot Camps' For Mass Shooters - Jim Sterling on YouTube.
"An unbelievable editorial published this week joins in on resurrecting long-discredited claims that violent videogames can train you as an effective killer."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Ooh, I got one too! Mar 8, 2018, 13:15 Prez

There are so many imcomprehensibly stupid assertions in this opinion piece that I literally don't have the time to address them all. Or even half of them. Thankfully most of this incredibly clueless writer's points are so idiotic that they hardly need rebuttals; anyone with the intellect above that of a small child and even a remote grasp on reality should be able to recognize the overall stupidity of what he is saying.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Ooh, I got one too! Mar 8, 2018, 12:50 Creston

If a possible mass shooter wants to kill a bunch of people, don't sell him a gun that allows him to do so.

I dunno, mine seems to make a lot more sense.

8. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 12:34 RedEye9

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 12:21:
But the GUN, the ALMIGHTY GUN, never to be questioned, never.

Preach the Truth, AMEN Brother.

Wait a second, are you setting next to Poe from Poe's Law?

One single AR15 would have brought the Roman Empire to it's knees. But in murica you can buy one no questions asked from the trunk of a car.

Crap, I'm at work and can't watch the Jim Sterling video. He's always good for a laugh.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

7. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 12:21 HorrorScope

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 11:25:
Truly incredible how we, the US, will deflect blame to anything in order to not have to deal with the real problems; mental health and gun laws.

Or it can be anything but the Gun. The Gun is our God, that is who we bow to in the USA if you bow or not.

Gun alone has never killed anyone they say, however there probably is a story of a unmanned miss firing killing someone somewhere.

But then opioids alone have never killed anyone. Or video games.

Like pretty much any inanimate object.

It's a lame point overall, you can have the 2nd but have reason to. But the GUN, the ALMIGHTY GUN, never to be questioned, never.

6. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 12:05 Flatline

"In a perfect world, perhaps we wouldn't have virtual shooters at all"

No in a perfect world numbnuts people wouldn't snap and shoot innocent people. JFC.

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 11:50 Agent.X7

Ah haha. this is the article I was talking abut the other day. SO. DUMB.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 11:30 Cutter

Video games have one mandate: to be fun. But the companies that create and market them must also be socially and morally aware.

But gun companies, cops, and the military don't need to be, is that it? And they kill way more people than anyone else. It's long past due for the US to take a page from Costa Rica. Get rid of the military, reign the out of control cops in, spend all that money on infrastructure, education, health care and social services and watch society's problems disappear. Cost Rica has regularly topped the global happiness index since they did that. Or you could just keep doing what you're doing and continue to watch things get worse. I am seriously expecting someone from the GOP to propose "The Purge" next as a way for dealing with America's problems.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 11:25 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Truly incredible how we, the US, will deflect blame to anything in order to not have to deal with the real problems; mental health and gun laws.  

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 11:12 Primalchrome

I don't think that Bailenson has done anything more than paper research.... If he's ever gone to a live range and then played with a Vive he'd realize that while there are some transferrable tactical aspects and muscle memory.... 90% of it is so distinctly different from the real world that you can't have a 1:1 association. Half the things that people do in Pavlov would get them slaughtered in a real world situation.  

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 10:51 Tipsy McStagger

The witch hunt continues...  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo