Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage

Oculus Rift headsets ceased operating today, leaving owners with virtually no way to enjoy their virtual reality. Thanks TechCrunch for pointing the way to this post that explains Oculus is working on the issue, which apparently stems from an expired security certificate, making for some extremely unhappy customers:

We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 9, 2018, 01:51 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 20:54:
I do get your point, but what is the Net Difference, if something happens where your software is rendered useless unless fixed by someone not you?

Oculus stated the intent of the security cert here. "For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus." The Rift software is a hardware calibration and driver provider plus a storefront. It is is bound to the hardware owned by an individual. Oculus says, "The Oculus software [finds] friends and [discovers] the best VR apps, games, and experiences." They provided a $15 credit for the inconvenience. So the secure certificate is apparently used to create security for various transactions like downloading drivers and purchases with credit cards and Paypal.

The software itself might be considered a form of DRM, but the SSL underneath it is merely a security layer.

P.S. Sorry. I know I'm beating a dead horse.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 20:57 HorrorScope

Armengar wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 15:19:
i have a company code signing cert. it is used to sign my .net work. it has a finite 2 year lifespan. it is also set to update when there is 3 months left on it. these apps are web apps and connected to the internet. it would be commercial suicide for me to use a 2 year code signing cert for offline apps. there is no need to use them for offline apps either.

this also means the oculus will brick itself if the company decideds not to support itself....

That's a great point and I suspect owners will be asking them exactly this now. They can just stop shop and your'e done, very DRM'y'ish.

30. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 20:54 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 14:14:
There are plenty of situations where expired SSL certificates block people from doing things. For example, on secure sites images, video, and other media will stop working and cannot be accessed. And e-commerce sites will no longer be able to run secure transactions (in a few cases, payment processors will out-right refuse to accept transactions from sites with expired certificates). In this situation, nobody would claim the website is using SSL as a form of DRM. There's only a break between server and client. This severing has prevented the software, and in the case of the Oculus, and hardware from working as expected. IOW put away the DRM tinfoil hats.

SSL !== DRM
DRM !== SSL

They are not the same thing.

First, I don't really care all that much about DRM one way or the other because I've rarely ever been burnt. There were some worse than others and are long gone now.

I do get your point, but what is the Net Difference, if something happens where your software is rendered useless unless fixed by someone not you? This is even legal owned software, so it could be argued in this case it is even worse. The net effect is the same fear DRM'ers have been warning about for decades now.

29. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 15:19 Armengar

i have a company code signing cert. it is used to sign my .net work. it has a finite 2 year lifespan. it is also set to update when there is 3 months left on it. these apps are web apps and connected to the internet. it would be commercial suicide for me to use a 2 year code signing cert for offline apps. there is no need to use them for offline apps either.

this also means the oculus will brick itself if the company decideds not to support itself....

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

28. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 15:02 Mr. Tact

"You say eether and I say eyether,
You say neether and I say nyther;
Eether, eyether, neether, nyther,
Let's call the whole thing off!
You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!
Let's call the whole thing off!"

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 14:14 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 10:35:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 22:50:
SSL = security and encryption (secure websites, eCommerce)
DRM = control and overreach (Sony Rootkit, SecuROM, Battle.net app, Steam app, Uplay app, Origin app)

Don't put SSL and secure certificates in the same bucket with DRM. They are not the same.

In this case they are acting somewhat the same as in, you can't play X because something we have done to stop you. If SSL is only for what you say, they've overstepped its boundaries as this isn't a website nor ecommerce, they used it in a DRM'y way.

There are plenty of situations where expired SSL certificates block people from doing things. For example, on secure sites images, video, and other media will stop working and cannot be accessed. And e-commerce sites will no longer be able to run secure transactions (in a few cases, payment processors will out-right refuse to accept transactions from sites with expired certificates). In this situation, nobody would claim the website is using SSL as a form of DRM. There's only a break between server and client. This severing has prevented the software, and in the case of the Oculus, and hardware from working as expected. IOW put away the DRM tinfoil hats.

SSL !== DRM
DRM !== SSL

They are not the same thing.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

26. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 19:41:
Flatline wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:54:
But having a signed SSL certificate to even run your software *is* strange.

Not very strange. I find it odd when drivers aren't signed. Otherwise how can you really trust that they're from the developer? At any rate, this cert was around the CV1 days. The guy who wrote the software probably left and nobody noticed. Also changing a system clock can lead to other software problems, so make sure to change it back when done. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet though since signing a new executable shouldn't take very long.

No it's still strange. Because sure, I can buy using a cert to communicate with the mothership and make sure you have an uninterrupted connection. But apparently Oculus either needs to have an always-on connection to the corporate servers, or the cert is still required even when offline. I mean, you already have the software, you know it's legit (though a certificate doesn't ensure that you have an uncompromised piece of software, just that you weren't subjected to a Man in the Middle attack. You need checksums or some other method to verify that you have uncompromised software) it's on your computer, the cert doesn't do anything at that point. If it's checking the cert while offline and still preventing you from launching the game, this is crappy programming and basically enforced obsolescence.

Edit: Driver signatures are not SSL certificates. That's a different thing entirely.

25. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 10:35 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 22:50:
DRM = control and overreach (Sony Rootkit, SecuROM, Battle.net app, Steam app, Uplay app, Origin app)

Don't put SSL and secure certificates in the same bucket with DRM. They are not the same.

In this case they are acting somewhat the same as in, you can't play X because something we have done to stop you. If SSL is only for what you say, they've overstepped its boundaries as this isn't a website nor ecommerce, they used it in a DRM'y way.

24. Re: etc. Mar 8, 2018, 10:11 deqer

We know what a cert is. The question is, why does no one at your company give a fuck, to at least have set themselves a Reminder to renew the cert?

23. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 23:57 Slick

Silgurdar wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:01:
Why do you need active Internet connection to use the Oculus Rift? It's same as needing one to use a monitor...

Why would the Facebook Facemonitor need a constant active internet connection to even work? hmmmmmm...

BTW There's a great article on FB in this month's Wired magazine.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

22. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 23:06 Mr. Tact

I would agree SSL is not DRM. That said, the situation here appears to be you can't use your Rift without an active connection to their website. Basically, their DRM check failed because of an expired SSL certificate.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 22:52 Sepharo

I have to admit this has happened to the company I work for more than once.
But we typically ask our customers to provide their own certs to secure client - server communications so only the ones who use the default we ship with are affected.

20. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 22:50 Kxmode

Cyant wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 21:36:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 21:07:
It's technically not DRM. A secure cert is a way to create a safe connection between server and client without a VPN. For all online services like Steam, WOW, Overwatch, Battle.net and so forth there's an SSL Secure Cert behind the scenes. The fact that you never hear about it might speak volumes about the Oculus folks for letting theirs expire.

And they use that to only allow running software comming from their server. Hence DRM...

I'll just go ahead and stop you right there.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 7, 2018, 22:26 Scottish Martial Arts

Cyant wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 21:36:

And they use that to only allow running software comming from their server. Hence DRM...

If you think the presence of a security certificate is DRM, then you are not technically literate enough to run custom firmware/system software on an Oculus Rift.

18. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 21:36 Cyant

Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 21:07:
It's technically not DRM. A secure cert is a way to create a safe connection between server and client without a VPN. For all online services like Steam, WOW, Overwatch, Battle.net and so forth there's an SSL Secure Cert behind the scenes. The fact that you never hear about it might speak volumes about the Oculus folks for letting theirs expire.

17. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 21:27 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:22:
Derp.

As someone you used to deal with SSL certificate updates/replacements that is a pretty bad fail. Never seen a system which didn't allow for automated notifications ahead of time when certificates were going to expire...

Yep huge miss here.

16. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 21:08 Kxmode

DangerDog wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 20:58:
Roughly a hundred people were disappointed.

That's a fairly high estimate.

15. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 21:07 Kxmode

Bard wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 20:53:
Why do you need active Internet connection to use the Oculus Rift? It's same as needing one to use a monitor...

DRM.

It's when their DRM is more important than reliability or privacy.

14. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 20:58 DangerDog

Roughly a hundred people were disappointed.  

13. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 20:53 Bard

DRM.

It's when their DRM is more important than reliability or privacy.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo