Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage

Oculus Rift headsets ceased operating today, leaving owners with virtually no way to enjoy their virtual reality. Thanks TechCrunch for pointing the way to this post that explains Oculus is working on the issue, which apparently stems from an expired security certificate, making for some extremely unhappy customers:

We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 20:50 Prez

Wow. I use my Rift so rarely that I actually didn't notice. But as a Rift owner I feel obligated to be outraged. Curse you Occulus you incompetent dolts.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 19:42 Frijoles

Saboth wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 19:02:
Hmm, so DRM?

No. More like "Yeah, I wrote this." Has nothing to do with DRM.

10. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 19:41 Frijoles

Flatline wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:54:
But having a signed SSL certificate to even run your software *is* strange.

Not very strange. I find it odd when drivers aren't signed. Otherwise how can you really trust that they're from the developer? At any rate, this cert was around the CV1 days. The guy who wrote the software probably left and nobody noticed. Also changing a system clock can lead to other software problems, so make sure to change it back when done. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet though since signing a new executable shouldn't take very long.

9. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 19:27 Kxmode

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 19:03:
People are going to have to wait to throw up now? Seriously WTF??!?

Your profile image perfectly sums it up.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 19:03 [VG]Reagle

People are going to have to wait to throw up now? Seriously WTF??!?  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

7. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 19:02 Saboth

"For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus."

Hmm, so DRM?

6. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 18:58 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:22:
Derp.

As someone you used to deal with SSL certificate updates/replacements that is a pretty bad fail. Never seen a system which didn't allow for automated notifications ahead of time when certificates were going to expire...
Doh, someone forgot to check the spam folder.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

5. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 18:54 Flatline

Silgurdar wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:01:
Why do you need active Internet connection to use the Oculus Rift? It's same as needing one to use a monitor...

If you can get around it by changing the clock date it's not actually an internet connection that's needed. But having a signed SSL certificate to even run your software *is* strange.

4. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 18:22 Mr. Tact

Derp.

As someone you used to deal with SSL certificate updates/replacements that is a pretty bad fail. Never seen a system which didn't allow for automated notifications ahead of time when certificates were going to expire...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 18:01 Silgurdar

Why do you need active Internet connection to use the Oculus Rift? It's same as needing one to use a monitor...  

2. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 17:57 Flatline

Yeah rolling the date back would convince the local cert manager that the cert wasn't expired.

Way to go Oculus!

1. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 17:52 Tipsy McStagger

Hilarious...

I'm going to try it home today but I hear the best way to fix it is to roll back your PC clock.

Hahha

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo