Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, we're having more serious weather less than a week after the last nor'easter, as Winter Storm Quinn has rolled in. This was not as dramatic as predicted when we first got up today, but the snow has been picking up steadily, so it's not out of the question that we'll end up with the predicted 18" when it's all said and done. But all we have to do is look across the street to our neighbor who is still without power from the last storm for inspiration to count our blessings. Here's hoping everyone in the path can stay safe and warm. Hot cocoa seems like a good idea around now.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Maze Planet 3D.
Stories: Nor'easter begins assault days after deadly winter storm.
Half the world warned 'Chinese space station will fall on you.'
Something’s Brewing- Coca-Cola Plans Its First Alcoholic Drink.
Science: For all their risks, opioids had no pain-relieving advantage in a yearlong clinical trial.
ESA builds air-breathing engine that works in space.
Hubble Discovers Dusty Material Surrounding A Young Star. Stardust!
Media: (6) ELDERS LEARN HOW TO FLIRT WITH WOMEN - Super Seducer (React: Gaming).
The Moiré Effect Lights That Guide Ships Home.
Sausage in the Hole.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2018, 11:16 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 17:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 01:33:
Hey I liked Star Trek Discovery somewhat until the last episode, that is. That was so absurd that it boggles the mind. And to be fair, the whole alternative dimension shtick was just super lamesauce. Imo not really Star Trek.. so yeah.

It's not an alternate universe. It's take place 10 years before the Enterprise under Kirk's captainship.

Half the series takes place in an literal alternate (inverse) dimension

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2018, 17:54 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 01:33:
Hey I liked Star Trek Discovery somewhat until the last episode, that is. That was so absurd that it boggles the mind. And to be fair, the whole alternative dimension shtick was just super lamesauce. Imo not really Star Trek.. so yeah.

It's not an alternate universe. It's take place 10 years before the Enterprise under Kirk's captainship.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2018, 01:33 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 09:05:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 23:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 20:11:
1badmf wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 19:42:
Lost in Space on netflix official trailer
looks promising imo
It can't be worse than The Orville or Star Trek: Discovery.
Have you watched either?
Yes, I watch both in the hopes that there would be one ounce of decent tv in either series. Sadly I was denied.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2018, 12:27 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 09:05:
looks promising imo
Have you watched either?
Yes, I watch both in the hopes that there would be one ounce of decent tv in either series. Sadly I was denied.

I haven't seen either yet, but people say Orville is pretty good.

* goes back to watching Rick and Morty *

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2018, 09:05 RedEye9

looks promising imo
Have you watched either?

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2018, 01:29 jdreyer

ESA builds air-breathing engine that works in space.

That engine is very cool.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 23:18 Kxmode

looks promising imo

Have you watched either?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 20:48 RedEye9

No Collusion my pretties.
Special counsel Robert Mueller has gathered evidence that a secret meeting in the Seychelles just before the inauguration of Amnesty Don was an effort to establish a back channel between the incoming administration and the Kremlin — apparently contradicting statements made to lawmakers by one of its participants, according to people familiar with the matter.

"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 20:11 RedEye9

looks promising imo

"Nullity's Law"

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 19:54 jdreyer

looks promising imo

I do appreciate how the cost of FX creation has dropped to the point where we're getting more of these kinds of shows. Going to check this out.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 19:42 1badmf

looks promising imo

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 17:35 Hoop

Would anyone be truly surprised to see a large chunk of Chinese Space Station drop on your neighbor?
Like within five minutes of their power being restored.

Um .. Behind you...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 16:44 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 12:07:
"You ain't seen nothin' like the mighty Quinn..."

Must be a big goddamned space station if it can fall on half the world.

Put the coke back in Coke.

Yeah, as someone who's been had a few serious accidents in his life there's a major goddamned difference in the pain relief between morphia and Tylenol. The second time I got hit by a car I can tell you first hand that taking a couple of Tylenol wasn't going to cut it. And everything got real groovy after they whacked me up with morphine at the hospital. Whether people in chronic pain should be using that sort of stuff long term really depends on the person but to say it has no advantage is some grade A bullshit IMO.

Well when you're sitting back in your rose pink Cadillac
Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day
I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon
And another girl to take my pain away

The more you use opioids, the less effective they become. Looks like they were studying long term users.

That being said, the study relied on self reported pain levels. That seems less reliable to me. I'd rather they use MRI or something to measure brain response.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 15:04 RedEye9

You'd think when you're ranked #544 on the Forbes most richest list that the only place you could go would be up. But not for our dotus, he dropped to #766 place. Let's get him out of office so we can all Make the dotard great again. #MDGA

"Nullity's Law"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 13:39 Nullity

For all their risks, opioids had no pain-relieving advantage in a yearlong clinical trial.

What a load of BS.

I'm not claiming there isn't an issue with opioid overdose recently, but I'm sure anyone whose actually had to take them for legit medical purposes will laugh at this (as I am).

I've had a few issues over the last few years where I've taken various opioids (short-term) - from pulled back muscles, to a sprained shoulder, and even some sort of cluster headache. In each case, I first tried over-the-counter stuff, which either had minimal effect or did nothing at all.

For both my back and shoulder, Percocet (oxycodone) was prescribed, which knocked the pain right out. For the headache, the pain was so bad, that I actually had to go to the hospital by ambulance. Never felt anything like it in my life, before or since. The nurses/doctors tried a couple medications to get my pain under control, including IV morphine, and none made even the slightest difference. It wasn't until they jacked me up with IV hydromorphone (about 5x stronger than morphine) that I started to feel better.

To claim that opioids have no pain-relieving advantages sounds like someone overreacting to the current opioid issues and trying to be negatively influential in their use. I can definitely understand how they can be dangerous, but there's no question that they should still be used medically, where applicable.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 12:07 Cutter

"You ain't seen nothin' like the mighty Quinn..."

Must be a big goddamned space station if it can fall on half the world.

Put the coke back in Coke.

Yeah, as someone who's been had a few serious accidents in his life there's a major goddamned difference in the pain relief between morphia and Tylenol. The second time I got hit by a car I can tell you first hand that taking a couple of Tylenol wasn't going to cut it. And everything got real groovy after they whacked me up with morphine at the hospital. Whether people in chronic pain should be using that sort of stuff long term really depends on the person but to say it has no advantage is some grade A bullshit IMO.

Well when you're sitting back in your rose pink Cadillac
Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day
I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon
And another girl to take my pain away

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 12:06 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 11:58:
As for pain meds, science should be able to come up with a non-addictive painkiller that's really effective. It's 2018 fer chrissakes.

They have painkillers like that, but they also can lead to your breathing stopping (among other things). Hence why only hospitals use them

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 11:58 jdreyer

As for pain meds, science should be able to come up with a non-addictive painkiller that's really effective. It's 2018 fer chrissakes.  

3. Re: Something’s Brewing- Coca-Cola Plans Its First Alcoholic Drink. Mar 7, 2018, 11:54 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 10:37:
I think I'd rather try the 'Coca-Cola Plus'. The plus being an added laxative.

"What goes best with pizza? A COKE... and shitting."

I dunno, I feel they have a real opportunity to start a trend. Coke goes pretty well with whiskey, so they should partner with one of the brand names, say Jack Daniels. Then they could brand it "Coke and Jack" and get that end-of-word alliteration going.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 11:14 eRe4s3r

That new engine would allow a space station to maintain low earth orbit indefinitely and with no resupply of fuel needed.... just saying, if they figure this out that would be huge and completely change how satellites are built.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo